• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you guys do with your old Mopar, and other, magazine collections?

I take mine to the VA Hospital.

That's a great idea! But who or how do you get in touch with someone at the VA to do that? We have a big VA hospital here locally. But I don't think I could just walk in with 100 pounds of old magazines. Especially in this time of Covid restrictions..

That's a great idea! But who or how do you get in touch with someone at the VA to do that? We have a big VA hospital here locally. But I don't think I could just walk in with 100 pounds of old magazines. Especially in this time of Covid restrictions..

yeah, I used to give mine to the hospital where wife and daughter work but a few years ago they refused, stating “infection control” concerns. I call bullshit because they leave their propaganda there, but it’s their hospital, their rules.

My VA has an area for vets to stay. I walked in and said here.

I stopped getting magazines years ago & what magazines I had, I kept the ones I wanted for a while & then I eventually got rid of them in one of our moves. They were just more junk collecting dust and I haven't missed them at all.

When my mother died 8+ years ago, when cleaning out the house, we came across so many pictures of places and people in my parent's lives & sadly, those unknown people and places don't mean anything to us. Pictures of my parents mean something to me, but they won't mean much our kids. I've got lots of pictures of cars that I've taken over the years & looking at them now, they really don't mean that much to me any more. Going through them will be one of my retirement projects.

i have mags from Hagerty and H.O.G., i give them to shops who do work on my vehicles. There's a couple mechanical shops, a body shop, a place that works on plows, a truck shop, and an upholstery shop. Pretty much anyplace that has a waiting room.

we came across so many pictures of places and people in my parent's lives & sadly, those unknown people and places don't mean anything to us. Pictures of my parents mean something to me, but they won't mean much our kids. I've got lots of pictures of cars that I've taken over the years & looking at them now, they really don't mean that much to me any more.
That is how I felt after joining a group called "old friends" here a few years ago. After getting in touch with a long lost school buddy, and seeing his reply to my reaching out after over 45 years.....it made me wonder why I bothered in the first place. :cursin:

People move on, and people make new friends.

I have a photo on my wall that's over 120 years old, of relatives who died a generation before I was born. I cannot see my kids being bothered about keeping that when I'm dead......so I may as well biff it out now, and save space. :rolleyes:

Humans are collectors of items and the memories that attach to them. In a movie, Joe Pesci played a self proclaimed bum that picked up a rock at each memorable occasion in his life and kept them in a bag. He would take the rock out and hold it when he wanted to relive the occasion. I am surrounded with my "rocks".

Humans are collectors of items and the memories that attach to them. In a movie, Joe Pesci played a self proclaimed bum that picked up a rock at each memorable occasion in his life and kept them in a bag. He would take the rock out and hold it when he wanted to relive the occasion. I am surrounded with my "rocks".
Yeah, that's what got me thinking about getting rid of some of my stuff. In the last few years, I have had to deal with the passing of family members and disposing of lifetimes of memories and possessions. While it can be a blessing to receive inherited items, it can also make you a slave to having to take care of them, and/or dispose of them. I am still dealing with the THOUSANDS of tools, etc. that my Dad left behind. I think I need to lighten the load on my family when my days have ended...

There's only 2 places I can think of that may want the magazines and photos. The AACA Library and Steve Magnante.

https://www.aacalibrary.org/

The AACA Library will accept donated material in the form of literature, books, artwork, manuals, periodicals, etc. If we are unable to add donated material to our collection we will sell it to raise money for the library. At this time we are not accepting magazines published after 1949. After materials are received, the library will provide the donor with a letter acknowledging the donation. This donation will recognize the number of items donated but will not provide an appraisal or estimate of the value of the donated material.

When I first retired, I found that I was looking for things to do. I had so many Mopar and Musclecar magazines that I could never find an article of interest when needed in an older magazine. Plus, these books were taking up a lot of space. I started going through all of these publications and cutting out Mopar car features and technical articles of interest. I am mostly interested in '62-'70 B-bodies, so that is pretty well what I saved. I put all these pages in 3-hole plastic sleeves and started putting together 3-ring binders dedicated to each year of Dodge and Pllymouth. I refer to these quite often and sometimes lend them to friends who have bought a new B-body project and want to learn more about their cars. Especially helpful are the original road tests from old Car Life, Motor Trend, etc. when these cars were new, that show as-built interior and under hood detail. Back in the old days, I was buying 7 or 8 magazines each month. Now, with Covid, some magazines are no longer available in Canada. The internet has killed off others. I really hated to see Musclecar Review and Mopar Muscle go.

Once a year, I take a box to the local VFW who sends them overseas to the soldiers fighting. They seem to be excited to get them

Some nice ideas guys on options to unload my load of old magazines rather them to the land fill.

I keep them until I DIE!
I have no idea what my wife will do with them. If yo hear that I have passed away, Get in touch
with my Wife. She will be glad to give them to you!
I am a lifer too. I still get Mopar Action and even though the content was not as good, I was getting Mopar Muscle until they flamed out.
I love the magazines. I started on cars LONG before the internet and back then, magazines were one of the few sources of information.
That is me though. I still prefer paper maps. I still use CDs and cassette tapes. I still Sport a 90s hairstyle.

25AC7CCD-EDA9-47B2-8DE6-49EA22048A6D.jpeg
59E64968-9467-4C04-A301-B1E76D73F310.jpeg

Last edited:
I take a box of magazines to the cruise in with Free written on the box. Sometimes they take them all, most times they take the chevy stuff like Hot Rod.

What’s funny is I did that several times, big “FREE” on the box. I watched and a few people looked through them but no takers.

The next time I marked the box “$1.00 each”. I watched again and people were taking two to 3 copies at a time. Ended up the box was empty and not one $1.00 bill to be found. Oh well, human nature.

Mopar Action is still alive and well. I have all of mine from early on and revisit for reference. Good rag. Also has tech on their website. Best in the biz.

But they DID go bust at one point.... I was ripped on a just renewed 2 year subscription .... and then they reformed and asked me (and I assume everyone else) to subscribe again. No thanks.

Couldn't even give away two milk crates of Car Craft, MCG, and others................ until a hungry recycle truck ate 'em.
Still have my MP and some DC from back to the mid or early '80's.

Yeah, that's what got me thinking about getting rid of some of my stuff. In the last few years, I have had to deal with the passing of family members and disposing of lifetimes of memories and possessions. While it can be a blessing to receive inherited items, it can also make you a slave to having to take care of them, and/or dispose of them. I am still dealing with the THOUSANDS of tools, etc. that my Dad left behind. I think I need to lighten the load on my family when my days have ended...

Once a person assumes room temperature, others are left with a big task of getting their affairs in order and disposing of all their worldly possessions. Sadly, once everything is divvied up, the rest will get sold at a yard sale for pennies on the dollar and what's left will be donated and thrown out. The small mementos that are kept will eventually get tossed out when that person dies.

Auto Transport Service
Back