• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you guys do with your old Mopar, and other, magazine collections?

Big Bad Dad

Local time
8:42 PM
Reaction score
We are remodeling, and I have stacks of old magazines to deal with. I used to subscribe, and probably have 150+ Mopar Collector Guides from the late 90s up thru the 20teens. Also a stack of High Performance Mopars, and several misc magazines. In addition, I have my Dad's collection of old Motor Trends, Hot Rods, and other car books back into the 1950s. As well as his AACA and Model T and Model A Ford stuff. I'm just overwhelmed, and ready to lighten up a bit. I would like to do something with all my Mopar mags first. Is there a market for selling them? Or donating? I just hate the idea of all this material going into the recycle dumpster.....

Neatly stacked in the basement for future reference. Since my car is in the construction stages I still need them for a lot of the articles but once its done I'll probably get rid of most if not all.

giphy.gif

:lol:

I gave all mine to a teenage kid down the street
that seemed "to have the car/hot-rodding bug"
3 stacks of like 6' tall, in plastic totes, cleared out of my closets
he'd stop by & lurk when I had the garage open showed real interest
he did help me on a landscaping project too, I paid him for
& gave him the mags, as a bonus, he did a great job
showed up early & stayed late

he's hooked for life now

Me, no more print rags,
no more subscriptions at all now

I had to toss most of mine. I did post on the local Facebook page and gave away what could, though.
With a lot of the mopar mags that had articles that I could use I just cut those articles out and saved them, reducing my pile from several huge boxes full to perhaps a stack two inches high.

I used to take them to the barber, doctor's office, dentist, etc. I'd put them in the magazine rack, in hopes of spreading the hobby. Usually there is only women's magazines, maybe a copy of Sports Illustrated if you're lucky.

If I had the money, I'd open a library. A Car magazine library. Start with mine, and add. for future generations.

I had to toss most of mine. I did post on the local Facebook page and gave away what could, though.
With a lot of the mopar mags that had articles that I could use I just cut those articles out and saved them, reducing my pile from several huge boxes full to perhaps a stack two inches high.
I did the cuttings too and filed them in a cabinet but got rid of most of that some time back.

If I had the money, I'd open a library. A Car magazine library. Start with mine, and add. for future generations.
I've taken a few to the doctor's office too....

I have saved and bound Mopar Action from the beginning until they went bust. I don't subscribe to any Mopar rags now that I know everything :lol:

If anyone is in Western NY, I have years of Mopar Collectors Guide available Free also...

We had this discussion not long ago and it's sad to think of all my magazine going to the recycler. Gotta bite the bullet and do it soon! I promised my niece I wouldn't leave her with a mess like we see so very often after loved ones have "moved on", so to speak. ruffcut

'

I gave all mine to a teenage kid down the street
that seemed "to have the car/hot-rodding bug"
3 stacks of like 6' tall, in plastic totes, cleared out of my closets
he'd stop by & lurk when I had the garage open showed real interest
he did help me on a landscaping project too, I paid him for
& gave him the mags, as a bonus, he did a great job
showed up early & stayed late

he's hooked for life now

Me, no more print rags,
no more subscriptions at all now
Thats awesome.

I keep them until I DIE!
I have no idea what my wife will do with them. If yo hear that I have passed away, Get in touch
with my Wife. She will be glad to give them to you!

I take a box of magazines to the cruise in with Free written on the box. Sometimes they take them all, most times they take the chevy stuff like Hot Rod.

I've taken boxes of them to Carlisle and just left them in front of the car with a "free" sign. Most of them disappear over a couple of days. The older it is, the faster it's scooped up. The current magazines I give to my firefighter neighbor who takes them to the firehouse. Sometimes, I take one I am almost done with and leave it at a doctor's office or other waiting area.

I hang on to the Hemings Musclecar mags but pass on my others to friends into old cars. Stuck with my new Car & Driver Mags though - nobody wants them. I don’t even care for them much anymore.

When we moved about 4 years ago I gave all of mine to a guy who I met at a swap meet. He was retired and keen to go through them. There were about 20 boxes, some dating back to the 60's. The only condition was he had to take them all. He ended up buying me a case of beer. Every once in a while I see somebody post an article and say to myself, I had that one.

I have saved and bound Mopar Action from the beginning until they went bust. I don't subscribe to any Mopar rags now that I know everything :lol:

Mopar Action is still alive and well. I have all of mine from early on and revisit for reference. Good rag. Also has tech on their website. Best in the biz.

I have mine stored in correctly sized boxes, labeled by name and year. Stored in the loft over my office. Occasionally I will refer to an issue in my library. I have Hot Rod, Car Craft, Rod and Custom, Popular Hot Rodding, Mopar Action, Mopar Muscle, High Performance Mopar, Mopar Collector Guide, Chrysler Power, and a few others. I have been subscribing since the early 60s.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back