• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you know about box vans / trucks?

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:08 PM
Reaction score
Not mopar related but i'm currently trying to find out technical specifications of these typ of vans/trucks
and if you are allowed to drive them with a regular drivers license (up to 3.5ton) here in germany.

1992 GMC Vandura G3500
9780613_1.jpg

1987 Ford Econoline E-350
1987-Ford-EL-17-ft-Studio-Shot-300x225.jpg

Since its just a cab and a box (probably aluminum) on a frame i would think they are way under 3.5ton but not sure.

I like the box overhang over the cabin on these things.
Makes it look cool. :)

Here there's no special license is required, just a reg class C

a 3500 is just a 1 ton here, it comes cab-chassis
& someone (aftermarket) adds the bobtail/box
(may have 3.5 ton/6500# in the bobtail/box limit/capicity)

I have no idea about the laws in Germany

Thanks for the replys

Well it says "Empty Weight: 8,115 lbs" which calculates to 3681kg.
Unfortunately you're only allowed to drive vehicles up to 3500kg gross weight with the regular german class b drivers license.
-> https://www.tuev-nord.de/en/private/traffic/driving-licence-classes/classes-bbe/
It absolutely sucks but they like to extra charge you for everything.

Some of the old ones seem to have a 14' box, though.
Also old vehicles are often lighter than new ones.

Somebody knows?
Otherwise everyone with a relatively recent regular license is not allowed to drive it in germany.

I must say that i'm surprised it weighs that much.
Maybe the older ones are really lighter?

Why do these things weight significantly more than two 69 chargers? I don't get where all the weight is at on these things. :D

An Escalade is over 6,000 lbs. Some vehicles, such as motorhomes, need license plates for loaded weight. It's cheap enough per extra ton compared to the fine for breaking weight at the weigh station.

I used them for many years... they are kinda the limit of what you can do with that size chassis and really a little beyond unless you plan to drive it around empty all the time. Plan on rebuilding the transmissions regularly. I've had trouble keeping the steering boxes on the front stub frame too.
Also, they most certainly are not way under 3.5 tons lol.

Great All-round trucks. Use them for any purpose that you desire, moving, hauling,
working, camping, living, storage, etc.
Easy mechanically to work on. Usually good resale value, if not trashed...

Well i'm not an expert but i managed to find an old sales brochure online:
https://day.shulove.xyz/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=37491

Check out this page:
s-l1600.jpg

The "High-Cube Van Aluminum" has a gross weight of 10500lbs max.
It also has 4329lbs max. payload.
10500 gross weight - 4329 payload = 6171 lbs / 2799kg empty weight, right?

The van in the picture does not have the box overhanging the cabin
but i think they are pretty much identical otherwise and that probably does not make a huge weight difference?

2799kg empty weight would be perfectly fine for me.

Mine. A 2006 F550 Ford Turbo diesel.

20220505_185545.jpg 20220505_185954.jpg
Edit. I was shopping for an enclosed trailer for my racecar, and also to move three households from California to Arizona. The trailers have skyrocketed in price, since bidumb.
My best friend found out about this one, one of her customers' truck, that he couldn't register in california any more. We can, and did, register it in az.
It is 12,500 empty, (around 5700 kg) with a rebuilt turbodiesel, about 60% more than my diesel 2500 pickup. It gets terrible mileage, but that's to be expected. It can carry anything (including my Opel), pull anything, and anybody can legally drive it, with a ordinary license.
Since the owner had to get rid of it, we got the truck for a third the price of a trailer, and paid less than the lift gate on it is worth.
It is kinda fun to drive, and wasn't bad when diesel was $2.50. Now that it's $7.50, not so much.
You WILL become aware of all overhead obstacles..... or else.
What your rules are in Germany, you will have to find out.
2nd edit: there is NOTHING on this truck that is not incredibly heavy duty, the frame is twice as thick and three times larger than my 3/4 ton HD. The rear-end is the same. Giant steel wheels with ten thick lugs, etc, etc, That is where the weight is. The much lighter payload rental vans probably weigh quite a bit less too.
3rd edit. My 2002 3/4ton HD diesel pickup is 7500 lbs (3400kg) empty. Yeah, I was shocked too.

Last edited:
The "High-Cube Van Aluminum" has a gross weight of 10500lbs max.
It also has 4329lbs max. payload.
10500 gross weight - 4329 payload = 6171 lbs / 2799kg empty weight, right?

Is this a valid way to determine empty weight?

Here is the same page in big again: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/EXEAAOSwL-ddF3QA/s-l1600.jpg

I think the bodystyle i want is option "RV G-Cutaway Chassis & Commercial Cutaway".
This has a max. GVWR (gross weight) of 10500 lbs and a max. payload of 5898 lbs.
So if my calculation above is correct it would be a max. empty weight of 4602lbs / 2087kg which would be great.

Great All-round trucks. Use them for any purpose that you desire, moving, hauling,
working, camping, living, storage, etc.
Easy mechanically to work on. Usually good resale value, if not trashed...
You've never worked on a Ford E350 have you?

Here it all has to be posted in the vehicle by the box bed installer. Vehicle empty wt., max load and total weights must be posted. Not sure what's required in Germany.

If the max. allowed gross weight is over 3500kg that's not a problem. (You can reduce max. allowed gross weight in the german vehicle documents)
If the empty weight is over 3500kg that is.
If it is exactly 3500kg empty that's also a problem because you then can't transport anything legally.
But since it seems to be way under everything's fine.
Unfortunately the brochure does not explicitely state empty weight but if i should buy one i will ask the seller to be 100% sure.

They probably go by whatever the manufacturer states for VW or GVW. What it actually weighs at a scale may be different.

Auto Transport Service
Back