• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you know about box vans / trucks?

That GMC probably has a lot less maximum weight than a Mercedes Sprinter 4500 cargo van as an example to compare to something contemporary.

I was wondering if someone would suggest a sprinter, as they are local to the OP.

I was wondering if someone would suggest a sprinter, as they are local to the OP.
Mechanical and EXPENSIVE nightmares to maintain... My old company had a fleet of them. Couldn't wait to replace them....

On a somewhat related note-

I believe the USPS just got a fleet of MB minivans.

3 point star logo is replaced with USPS eagle. RHD

Wonder how cost effective those are gonna be vs the ford and gm based LLV.

On a somewhat related note-

I believe the USPS just got a fleet of MB minivans.

3 point star logo is replaced with USPS eagle. RHD

Wonder how cost effective those are gonna be vs the ford and gm based LLV.
They are also getting sued over that decision. The EV croud wasn't impressed.

Here in the States you can drive a semi without a CDL as long as its not for hire.
Many folks with race cars use old na$car haulers. No CDL needed. My friend used a F550 with a 44 ft trailer. He checked into an old na$car truck but decided against it because if his son wanted to take the Modified to another track he couldn't, the Mod went on an open trailer and the late model went in the 44 footer.
And the wife drove the 550.

Here in the States you can drive a semi without a CDL as long as its not for hire.
Many folks with race cars use old na$car haulers. No CDL needed. My friend used a F550 with a 44 ft trailer. He checked into an old na$car truck but decided against it because if his son wanted to take the Modified to another track he couldn't, the Mod went on an open trailer and the late model went in the 44 footer.
Not sure where you are going to get a semi and trailer at less than 26000 lbs. At 26001 lbs cdl is required no matter if for hire or not. If you're getting away with it you just haven't gotten stopped yet.

Even if it has air brakes?

Does somebody know when they switched from carbs to fuel injection on the E-350 and G3500 / G30 Vans?
I generally perfer carburetors.

Thanks for the replys

Well it says "Empty Weight: 8,115 lbs" which calculates to 3681kg.

I must say that i'm surprised it weighs that much.
Maybe the older ones are really lighter?
a cab chassis they start with is a bit lighter
some of the hardwood floors in them things 'are heavy'
usually an alum. floor is a tad bit lighter
box style & lengths make a big difference too

A std cab to extended cab longbed, long wb
1 ton truck, (I'm not a van guy) both my 02 F350 4x4 Diesel
& 95 & 98 PowerRam 3500 4x4 Diesel (a lil' more)
& the GM 3500 2wd gas/BB especially the raised 0.400" deck truck blocks
generally weights about 8,200#s empty,
give or take a couple hundred pounds either way

vans could be a lot different

I wouldn't think that the Vans are heavier thou
I don't 100% know thou

the Fords with alum. body panels are a bit lighter
I don't know if they had vans with that thou
it's a more newer/contemporary deal anyway

I'd still rather have a HD Ram 5.9 Turbo Cummins especially
or a Ford Diesel, then the GMs especially a gas rigs

JMHFO

Last edited:
Does somebody know when they switched from carbs to fuel injection on the E-350 and G3500 / G30 Vans?
IIRC (maybe as early as 82)
1985-ish in the US was pretty much most mfgrs converted to
Throttle Bodie EFI on Gas rigs (some were carb holdouts still)

maybe (?)

Last edited:
Well, all I know is from experience. A CDL wasn't needed for a semi if not for hire. IIRC it had to be licensed as a motor home or the like. A CDL isn't needed for the big azz motor homes, either.

Well, all I know is from experience. A CDL wasn't needed for a semi if not for hire. IIRC it had to be licensed as a motor home or the like. A CDL isn't needed for the big azz motor homes, either.
That was then this is now. Think you better look into it before you pull a semi out on the road

In FL, you need to retitle/re-register as an RV in order to drive a "heavy truck" without a CDL.

The same applies to busses.

I'm sure that varies by state.

In FL, you need to retitle/re-register as an RV in order to drive a "heavy truck" without a CDL.

The same applies to busses.

I'm sure that varies by state.
Untill you cross state lines or go commercial.

Actually 1988 and up basically for both is when they went to fuel injection . As for older ones being lighter, I have this 1980 Dodge but only know the GVWR is 10,000 lbs. She's a beauty, right ?? Only has 15,000 miles on it. Retired rescue/ haz mat vehicle.
IMG_20181022_150012.jpg

Actually 1988 and up basically for both is when they went to fuel injection .

Thanks that's good information!

I have this 1980 Dodge but only know the GVWR is 10,000 lbs.

You don't know the max. payload don't you?

She's a beauty, right ?? Only has 15,000 miles on it.

I like it.
I wasn't aware that dodge also made such vehicles.

What Series/Model is this?

Auto Transport Service
Back