• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think this collection is worth?

A LOT.

I sat in an original 427 version once.

Rode in a 427 clone ( 351 stroker small black power though )

It is truly a rush for a car geek that is beyond words

Before I bought my car in 2020, I was giving some serious thoughts to buying a 427 kit car ( a turnkey done car though )

Heh.
Well, grey haired guys will say they are worth millions.
Cobra guys will say you can buy a new one made with original tooling leaving the most expensive part of the car as the 427 itself. Been a long while since I checked but a company based in US had a factory in Africa built to make the chassis.
Plus all the clones, but those are clones.
If you could buy a brand new 1970 440 six pack, and the most expensive part was the six pack set up, would a collection of originals be worth millions?

Lemans cars/cars that actually were in famous races is a different story.

Put in a bid for the lot Mark.....

7jw5h4.jpg

:lol:

I don't know,money doesn't buy what it used to,I would have thought RC would have ordered his Demon 170 by now!

Heh.
Well, grey haired guys will say they are worth millions.
Cobra guys will say you can buy a new one made with original tooling leaving the most expensive part of the car as the 427 itself. Been a long while since I checked but a company based in US had a factory in Africa built to make the chassis.
Plus all the clones, but those are clones.
If you could buy a brand new 1970 440 six pack, and the most expensive part was the six pack set up, would a collection of originals be worth millions?

Lemans cars/cars that actually were in famous races is a different story.
Your post was good for a laugh since you obviously don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Cobras.

Oh My God
for a Ford outside of a GT40 or Shelby Daytona Coupe (my 2 favorites)
freaken' crazy, unbelievable collection of million-dollar cars,
many multi-million $$$ cars

I'm in the clone or tribute class, even them
$150k+ to start for the GT40 or Daytona Coupe

Even then, I'd still like to do a Factory 5 or Superformance
(Stallion) AC 427 coupe
something with a tad bit more door, foot & legroom, than org.s have

I've riden in a real one, an AC Cobra 427 SC
it was tail happy crazy...
Impressive fast 0-100-0 in like 10 seconds or less
on bias ply tires & old 60's technology/brakes

Oh My God
for a Ford outside of a GT40 or Shelby Daytona Coupe (my 2 favorites)
freaken' crazy, unbelievable collection of million-dollar cars,
many multi-million $$$ cars

I'm in the clone or tribute class, even them
$150k+ to start for the GT40 or Daytona Coupe

Even then, I'd still like to do a Factory 5 or Superformance
(Stallion) AC 427 coupe
something with a tad bit more door, foot & legroom, than org.s have

I've riden in a real one, an AC Cobra 427 SC
it was tail happy crazy...
Impressive fast 0-100-0 in like 10 seconds or less
on bias ply tires & old 60's technology/brakes
At the Ford Nationals at Carlisle last year, met the guy who owns the GT40 tribute that was used in the movie, cool dude, same passion as here with our Mopars. Back in the day, my dad had a grad assistant who raced an A/C Bristol back in the day, met Carroll Shelby at the track, and shared the legend of the Cobras with me when I was a kid in elementary school.

Never forget the day he came to our house for a Sunday brunch in 1964, drove the A/C, wife looked like Joan Holloway character from Mad Men. I could have easily become a Ford guy based on that experience, but Bill and Julie Clark brought me here with that GTX that sucked me in 52 years ago. NASCAR trumped LeMans for me.

Your post was good for a laugh since you obviously don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Cobras.
Shelby himself authorized new cobras to be built, "official carrol shelby cobras" in the 90's.
Outside of that, there are a dozen kit manufacturers. Whoopity do right? kits.
Except one bought the original tooling. The second bought original tooling to copy.
One company has a model you can buy the car, go there get in and drive away built with all modern tech, for about the cost of a vette.

My whole point is with this collection you CAN buy a new cobra made with original tooling and drop an original drivetrain into it. No, it is not "an original cobra" but I will tell you what, you ask anyone under the age of 50 if they think it is worth 2 million dollars to get an original when they can buy a turn key kit for $40k to drive?
The value of these cars is one of those "museum" prices, where everyone will speculate and no one will really know until the next billionaire buys the whole pile and makes an actual museum. But then we aren't talking about old cars anymore are we? We are talking about a thing like a painting. When looking to the broader market of people wanting to drive a car, then the competition of new comes into play.
The guy in the video drives the cars. if you are looking to buy a Cobra, to drive around, then you are in the same market as the rest of the muscle car crowd. And then it becomes investment vs old car, just like the rest. With the cobra being as famous as it is, it is going to slant to investment and the drivers will buy a new one. Those boys will inherit the cars. maybe they will keep driving them. Then their sons will get to drive, probably after the old man is gone. One of them will crash one and then it will be the end of that and museum time will happen.
In the mean time, the car is only worth what it will sell for. I recall when '57 Chevy sold for a quarter million dollars for a brief time in the 90's. How about Papa John's Camaro? I can buy a 57 Chev for $25K a couple times a year without leaving the state now. 70's Camaros are about 18k unless you want a minty one.
Old cars are about hype. In the case of the Cobra, it is rare, if you want an original. If you want an original, you want it to sit in a climate controlled shed. If you want a driver, you are not going to buy one of these cars in this video. Which means the market to sell those cars is tiny. So the entire premise of selling them becomes how much hype can be generated about rarity and desirability. Just like other old cars, when the crowd that remembers them from their youth is gone, the price will fall, excepting of course hype driven international buyers. Anything is possible, look at what is happening with that stupid "black ghost" or whatever it is called being hyped for auction right now. But by and large younger generations could give a rip about "original rare".
So again, grey haired old guys will set the price of this, because otherwise the most they would go for is 250k each. The younger generations will draw a line in the sand and shrug and order a kit instead.
This was proven out with a whole collection of split window vettes not too long back. The owner and his son thought they were sitting on 500k cars because of 1990's hype. Then they sold a few for 80k and got ill and pulled half the collection off the auction block. Younger crowds do not care that much, the market for nostalgia driven hype is getting put in the ground with flowers on top.

So, sold right now, with a room full or grey haired hype driven old guys to push the bid? Sure, millions.
A few years down the road when the kids are looking to sell them off to a room full of millenials? Not so much. More then likely the price would come down to where Shelby America would buy them to put in a museum.
That was my point. Old guys need to understand the market is currently driven by fellow old guys, and their numbers are receding rapidly.

Shelby himself authorized new cobras to be built, "official carrol shelby cobras" in the 90's.
Except one bought the original tooling. The second bought original tooling to copy.
One company has a model you can buy the car, go there get in and drive away built with all modern tech, for about the cost of a vette.

My whole point is with this collection you CAN buy a new cobra made with original tooling and drop an original drivetrain into it. No, it is not "an original cobra" but I will tell you what, you ask anyone under the age of 50 if they think it is worth 2 million dollars to get an original when they can buy a turn key kit for $40k to drive?
The value of these cars is one of those "museum" prices, where everyone will speculate and no one will really know until the next billionaire buys the whole pile and makes an actual museum. But then we aren't talking about old cars anymore are we? We are talking about a thing like a painting. When looking to the broader market of people wanting to drive a car, then the competition of new comes into play.
The guy in the video drives the cars. if you are looking to buy a Cobra, to drive around, then you are in the same market as the rest of the muscle car crowd. And then it becomes investment vs old car, just like the rest. With the cobra being as famous as it is, it is going to slant to investment and the drivers will buy a new one. Those boys will inherit the cars. maybe they will keep driving them. Then their sons will get to drive, probably after the old man is gone. One of them will crash one and then it will be the end of that and museum time will happen.
In the mean time, the car is only worth what it will sell for. I recall when '57 Chevy sold for a quarter million dollars for a brief time in the 90's. How about Papa John's Camaro? I can buy a 57 Chev for $25K a couple times a year without leaving the state now. 70's Camaros are about 18k unless you want a minty one.
Old cars are about hype. In the case of the Cobra, it is rare, if you want an original. If you want an original, you want it to sit in a climate controlled shed. If you want a driver, you are not going to buy one of these cars in this video. Which means the market to sell those cars is tiny. So the entire premise of selling them becomes how much hype can be generated about rarity and desirability. Just like other old cars, when the crowd that remembers them from their youth is gone, the price will fall, excepting of course hype driven international buyers. Anything is possible, look at what is happening with that stupid "black ghost" or whatever it is called being hyped for auction right now. But by and large younger generations could give a rip about "original rare".
So again, grey haired old guys will set the price of this, because otherwise the most they would go for is 250k each. The younger generations will draw a line in the sand and shrug and order a kit instead.
This was proven out with a whole collection of split window vettes not too long back. The owner and his son thought they were sitting on 500k cars because of 1990's hype. Then they sold a few for 80k and got ill and pulled half the collection off the auction block. Younger crowds do not care that much, the market for nostalgia driven hype is getting put in the ground with flowers on top.

So, sold right now, with a room full or grey haired hype driven old guys to push the bid? Sure, millions.
A few years down the road when the kids are looking to sell them off to a room full of millenials? Not so much. More then likely the price would come down to where Shelby America would buy them to put in a museum.
That was my point. Old guys need to understand the market is currently driven by fellow old guys, and their numbers are receding rapidly.
Well articulated, and the main reason I thinned my herd down to one as I approach 70.

Well articulated, and the main reason I thinned my herd down to one as I approach 70.
It can be hard to accept that the younger crowd doesn't love these cars like we all do, but they didn't live with them and didn't have a chance to buy one off a used lot to go make memories in.
Look up Studebaker prices for more examples. Silver Hawks sold for $40-60K barely ten years ago. Millenials have never heard of them.

New Cobra made with original tooling? Turn key kit for $40K? Again, my point is that you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Cobras.

As far as the pricing on old cars go, the pricing will come down someday, just like the Model A's. The "gamers and influencers" of today have no interest in cars, let alone be qualified to drive something with three pedals. They'll still be living at home when they are replaced by AI, supported by their grey-haired parents.

New Cobra made with original tooling? Turn key kit for $40K? Again, my point is that you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Cobras.

As far as the pricing on old cars go, the pricing will come down someday, just like the Model A's. The "gamers and influencers" of today have no interest in cars, let alone be qualified to drive something with three pedals. They'll still be living at home when they are replaced by AI, supported by their grey-haired parents.
I don't know what to tell you man.
When I was a much younger guy and the internet was much newer, a Cobra was a life goal and I researched them heavily. Like everything now, trying to find things on the net more then 3 years old is about impossible.
Factory 5 is one of the kit places that used original shell molds. They don't talk about it much anymore. Maybe their alterations like a wider footwell are so popular they sell enough they don;t use that as marketing anymore. Or maybe they were told they can't claim original for legal reasons from whoever owns the rights (Ford owns the Cobra name itself to this day) I admit things in the last 5 years may have drastically changed, I have been working on Mopars and wasn't watching Ford news.

As for $40k, you can get a kit, minus the 427/toploader for under $20k. If you want it to be bare bones chassis/shell, you can get them for under $14k. Did you even go look? A 427 is not cheap, but it isn't 20,000 dollars either. If you want a 289, you can find them on craigs list as cores for $300.
You can buy 5.0/T5 drive away kits for about 40-45k depending on options. A couple places are working on "modern" chassis to use Ford's coyote crate packages. I expect they will be more like 75-100k, but they will be faster then the original with a 6 speed installed.
Here, sold in 2019 for 9 grand. second thing that came up in a net search:
No Reserve: Ford FE 427 V8 Engine Project w/ Transmission

if you don;t want to lift a finger to put the car together, it is just like anything else with cars, it is going to cost you $$$$ instead of time.

And again, younger crowds look at the price and what they get because they aren't attached to old stuff like we are. You can buy a Viper for 45k every day on facebook market. You can buy a new vette. The kids like the Miatas, and especially Honda S2000(prices went stupid on those lately) so it isn't like the Cobra has the corner on the roadster/two seater market. So we are back to old guys hyping the price, like I said in my last long post.

I don't know what to tell you man.
When I was a much younger guy and the internet was much newer, a Cobra was a life goal and I researched them heavily. Like everything now, trying to find things on the net more then 3 years old is about impossible.
Factory 5 is one of the kit places that used original shell molds. They don't talk about it much anymore. Maybe their alterations like a wider footwell are so popular they sell enough they don;t use that as marketing anymore. Or maybe they were told they can't claim original for legal reasons from whoever owns the rights (Ford owns the Cobra name itself to this day) I admit things in the last 5 years may have drastically changed, I have been working on Mopars and wasn't watching Ford news.

As for $40k, you can get a kit, minus the 427/toploader for under $20k. If you want it to be bare bones chassis/shell, you can get them for under $14k. Did you even go look? A 427 is not cheap, but it isn't 20,000 dollars either. If you want a 289, you can find them on craigs list as cores for $300.
You can buy 5.0/T5 drive away kits for about 40-45k depending on options. A couple places are working on "modern" chassis to use Ford's coyote crate packages. I expect they will be more like 75-100k, but they will be faster then the original with a 6 speed installed.
Here, sold in 2019 for 9 grand. second thing that came up in a net search:
No Reserve: Ford FE 427 V8 Engine Project w/ Transmission

if you don;t want to lift a finger to put the car together, it is just like anything else with cars, it is going to cost you $$$$ instead of time.

And again, younger crowds look at the price and what they get because they aren't attached to old stuff like we are. You can buy a Viper for 45k every day on facebook market. You can buy a new vette. The kids like the Miatas, and especially Honda S2000(prices went stupid on those lately) so it isn't like the Cobra has the corner on the roadster/two seater market. So we are back to old guys hyping the price, like I said in my last long post.
I've found your Ford insights interesting, as I have a Ford buddy who is 15 years younger than me, and well versed in the market for the 1960s drive line components. He hangs with both guys my age, and 15 years younger than himself. He is the first to admit that he is shooting himself in the foot by doing builds with 1960s era pieces. The younger crowd has no interest in his power trains, and he's currently paying a premium for the old school stuff. He has told me he would just build the Cobra kits and save money, both on build and resale, but he likes the challenge of putting together true retro rods. I've driven his rat rod '64 Galaxie, and love what he's done with it, but he's easily $25,000 upside down if he ever decides to sell it.

Auto Transport Service
Back