• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think this collection is worth?

I've found your Ford insights interesting, as I have a Ford buddy who is 15 years younger than me, and well versed in the market for the 1960s drive line components. He hangs with both guys my age, and 15 years younger than himself. He is the first to admit that he is shooting himself in the foot by doing builds with 1960s era pieces. The younger crowd has no interest in his power trains, and he's currently paying a premium for the old school stuff. He has told me he would just build the Cobra kits and save money, both on build and resale, but he likes the challenge of putting together true retro rods. I've driven his rat rod '64 Galaxie, and love what he's done with it, but he's easily $25,000 upside down if he ever decides to sell it.
FE engines have worse performance then modern tech on even a windsor based engine, dollar to dollar.
But,
They have that certain sound and feel to them. And if you were around when they were around, the appeal is understandable. Good on your friend for building his passion.

I don't know what to tell you man.
When I was a much younger guy and the internet was much newer, a Cobra was a life goal and I researched them heavily. Like everything now, trying to find things on the net more then 3 years old is about impossible.
Factory 5 is one of the kit places that used original shell molds. They don't talk about it much anymore. Maybe their alterations like a wider footwell are so popular they sell enough they don;t use that as marketing anymore. Or maybe they were told they can't claim original for legal reasons from whoever owns the rights (Ford owns the Cobra name itself to this day) I admit things in the last 5 years may have drastically changed, I have been working on Mopars and wasn't watching Ford news.

As for $40k, you can get a kit, minus the 427/toploader for under $20k. If you want it to be bare bones chassis/shell, you can get them for under $14k. Did you even go look? A 427 is not cheap, but it isn't 20,000 dollars either. If you want a 289, you can find them on craigs list as cores for $300.
You can buy 5.0/T5 drive away kits for about 40-45k depending on options. A couple places are working on "modern" chassis to use Ford's coyote crate packages. I expect they will be more like 75-100k, but they will be faster then the original with a 6 speed installed.
Here, sold in 2019 for 9 grand. second thing that came up in a net search:
No Reserve: Ford FE 427 V8 Engine Project w/ Transmission

if you don;t want to lift a finger to put the car together, it is just like anything else with cars, it is going to cost you $$$$ instead of time.

And again, younger crowds look at the price and what they get because they aren't attached to old stuff like we are. You can buy a Viper for 45k every day on facebook market. You can buy a new vette. The kids like the Miatas, and especially Honda S2000(prices went stupid on those lately) so it isn't like the Cobra has the corner on the roadster/two seater market. So we are back to old guys hyping the price, like I said in my last long post.
The original Cobra bodies were handmade from aluminum and technically no two bodies are exactly the same. Most all of the better fiberglass replica body molds were splashed off an original car, some, not so much. Factory Five had no "original" tooling. While their bodies have gotten better, for many years their bodies were just ****. Far from perfect now, but a lot better than they were.

FF sells a lot of replicas due to the entry level price point and the fact you could use donor parts from the junkyard to build one. The end result is only as good the builder and the quality of parts used in the build. I've seen some pretty nice ones (non-donor build) and some that were worse than horrible. The nice ones run well more than $40K to build. Of course, it's cheaper to buy one already done.

Backdraft has their modern, different take on the Cobra, longer and wider, with basically a BMW suspension. There are others. Some out there that barely resemble the original Cobra.

The top of the line is Kirkham. Who do you think Shelby used for their cars? It was a Kirkham with a Shelby VIN for a premium price. I think a new slabside roller from Kirkham will run you over $200K and take over a year to get. I don't think you'll be buying any original Cobra for $250K anytime soon.

FE motor? I'll take a Windsor based (all aftermarket parts) stroker or Coyote any day over an FE. The fanatics can keep their FE's.

As far as old guys hyping the price on Cobras, it's no different than the pricing on Hemi and winged cars. They're rare, a lot of Cobras have racing history, and they're worth whatever the market will bear. Hondas and Miatas will never be worth anything and they'll never be an iconic car to collect. The younger generation can have them. No car will be worth much when they outlaw them, but I doubt if that happens in my lifetime.

And yes, I've been in the Cobra scene for 25+ years, so I do know a little about them.

Shelby continuation cars NW are all authentic Shelby's
csx6000
csx7000 FIA
csx8000 slab-side
csx9000 Daytona coupes

GT40s
RCR Race Car Replicas

'you can find them on Fakebook too'

race-cars-replicas.com/rcr-40-mki-mkii

the damn link don't work, I didn't copy it right

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service