• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you use for rear ends on a 66?

alnukem

Local time
7:50 PM
Reaction score
I am likely buying a 66 Satellite? I am seriously contemplating a 318/727 car with the intention of putting a 400 in it. I am sorry, I am a newbie. Thanks.

The 727 used in a Poly 318 will not bolt to a 400. It will, however bolt to a 360. Usually they only have 3 clutch drums front and back. For any horsepower upgrade, it would need 4 clutch drums installed.
Welcome to the FBBO site from Ontario.

I am likely buying a 66 Satellite? I am seriously contemplating a 318/727 car with the intention of putting a 400 in it. I am sorry, I am a newbie. Thanks.
More than likely your 66 Satellite will have a 8 3/4 with a 741 pumpkin, a 742 pumpkin is the stronger of what was available in 67. Either should be good for a 400 or 383 unless you get wild with the build. You will need a big block 727 for this application also.

Thank you all. It's been a long time since I had an auto, like the 70's, when you put pinto torque converters into c6's. I bought the cleanest 68 Mustang I could find, complete with a straight 6, then I bought a 3.91 "trac lok" 9" rear end, installed & wow, what a ride! I eventually converted it to a 351W station wagon motor, installed a 4 barrel, headers, front disc's & Lincoln Drums out back. It was horrible on the highways, it sounded like it was going to "hand grenade" all the time. Memories!

Today, I have a couple of quarters saved up. I would probably do 4.10 gears with something like a gearvendors tail section on the 727.

The engine would probably be a rebuilt 400 to run on regular gas with aluminium heads with a dual plane.

I guess I am just after the experience.

I used a 8.8 out of an Ford explorer, because it was cheap $250 and had disc brakes limited slip and was within a 1/4 inch of the original differentials width. We bracket race the car and drive it on the street so we chose the 3.73 gear ratio. The car runs 11.5 in the 1/4 mile,so I changed the axles and spider gear to Yukon’s. We runs M/t street radials and raced it for about half the season and it hasn’t broke yet.

Last edited:
I haven't heard anyone mention an 8 3/4 Suregrip if you want any traction at all.

Auto Transport Service
Back