• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does it cost to heat your shop?

Car #4

Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
From Jan 11 to Feb 16 it cost me $4/day Cdn to heat my shop. That's about $2.90 US. My shop is 46 X 36 with a 14' ceiling and I maintain it at 48* and turn it up when I'm working in there. What's it costing you?

Don't get me going! I see you live in Ontario, too, and are likely shocked with the rise in cost of keeping warm over the last couple of years. I have a 20 year old 1450 sq. ft. rancher with an attached 1250 sq. ft. garage. I had the outside walls built with 2 X 6, so we could put extra insulation in. The house is heated with high efficiency N.G. furnace, while the garage is heated by in-floor hot water. Hot water is supplied to both the house for domestic use and the garage heat by an on-demand N.G. boiler system. Since this is all on one monthly bill, I do not have a separate break-out of heating garage vs. heating house. What I do know, is that my natural gas bill has pretty well doubled in 2 or 3 years.
My last monthly gas bill totalled $227.00. Of that, I actually burned up $60.00 worth of dinosaurs. I was charged about an equal amount for gas delivery to me. Then, J.T. charged me $75.00 Carbon Tax for burning up the dinosaurs. The rest was 13% HST tax for the pleasure of spending my $$$. So, not only was the Carbon Tax more expensive than the Natural Gas I actually burned, I was charged an additional 13% tax on this tax. This really burns my a$$! Rant over. Thanks.

I can't differentiate house, from hangar or shop. All on the same meter and the shop furnace is sucking oil from the same tanks as the house.

The Wife is just damn happy that I have somewhere warm to go during the day!!! :rofl:

Usually start my truck and run it for about ten minutes.....and in summer I am looking forward to an A/C unit for Christmas. :lol:

Have a NG suspended Modine, just replaced the ancient Lennox last fall. I'll have to check on the costs; what I've gotten so far is my wife saying the gas bill is too high, lol. I keep the garage around 45 when I'm not in it, and maybe 55-60 when in. We're on that plan where it is a yearly deal averaging out the bill year-round. I'll have to check; no clue for the last few years. Guarantee it is higher than when I lasted checked.

In the dead of winter it will cost $100/mo to keep it at 55-60*F during working hours using a 220V electric forced air unit. Otherwise the heat is off. I fire it up in early AM and let it run for an hour before I go out there. Shop is a 28x36 pole building with something equivalent to maybe R8-10 insulation, plus I insulated the three garage doors with foam.

I have so much wood on the property that I was thinking about putting in a wood stove, but it would take awhile to recover the cost of the upgrade, plus the electric forced air is zero maintenance. I think in the end I have justified the $400-$500 yearly heating costs to enjoy my hobby time. It ain't no fun working on cold steel.

From Jan 11 to Feb 16 it cost me $4/day Cdn to heat my shop. That's about $2.90 US. My shop is 46 X 36 with a 14' ceiling and I maintain it at 48* and turn it up when I'm working in there. What's it costing you?

And our bill is about 200.00 month.The house is a 2200 sq ft bungalow n shop is 35X45x10 ft walls n ceiling is vaulted.We are the same as Dave in paying more taxes than actual natural gas.

I think we should all go electric. Electric everything. Electric cars. Electric heat. Electric Ladyland.

48’x75’ well insulated pole type building, 16’ sidewalls. Propane powered downdraft 90% efficient furnace. 52 degrees when I’m not there, 66-68 when I’m working, November through March. Average about $800 per year. I’m out there most days. Also stays cool in the summer, just run a dehumidifier to keep the humidity out.

The heated part of my shop is 36x36 with 12 ft ceiling. 12 inches of fiberglass in the ceiling, 6 inches in the sidewalls. Two insulated 10’ wide overhead doors. I keep it at 50 unoccupied, warmer when I’m in there, which is most days. Forced air fuel oil furnace. Costs $500-$600 a year. I use a split system for a/c in summer. Western NY winters.

Mine is solar heated. When it's sunny, it warms up. When it rains, it stays cool.

Too freaken' much here PG&E are extortionists,
our bills have gone up some 30%+ they claim
to me it's doubled on my end, 75%-100% more...
$300 a month "now" for the house, 1600sqft
if it's under 40* outside
I would imagine to keep the garage even just above freezing
all winter, it'd be in the multiple hundreds a month for just the garage

My garage 20'x20' 2 car, gets to like 35*-36* coldest mid winter
it stays about 15-20 degrees above outside temps usually
(maybe 15-20 degrees less inside, than outside in summer)
depends on if the sun is out or not, it's southern exposure
that radiant sun heat on the door helps 'even when it's cold'
It has well insulated walls & ceiling a foot of fresh blown in stuff
& 16'x8' roll up door insolated pretty well too

Unfortunately we are paying for PG&E court judgements,
burning peoples houses, one fire they/complicit & allegedly started
burned down the town of Paradise, very few places were not affected
& a small/er town/s down ("alleged" court said negligence IIRC)
from them/their neglect, dereliction/not properly maintained,
fallen wires, poles &/or transformers & PG&E being complicit in
'starting several crazy huge wildfires here'...
but;
we are paying for it now too, they are guaranteed a profit...
they are just now starting to put the lines underground
they made record profits for decades & they just now decided to make it
"more safe"

sorry, subject got me on a roll

carry on

Last edited:
It doesn't cost me anything...if I stay in the house during the winter.

I have an electric Modine out in the shop and it pulls about 28 amps just like an electric clothes dryer. So how many loads of clothes do I want to do while working out in the garage?

Auto Transport Service
Back