• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does it cost to heat your shop?

I know my tank must be close to E, but it's not empty yet....... had it on today, shop was toasty :thankyou:

My shop is 30x50. I have it divided into two areas. The work area where I have my engine assembly area with the compressor, parts dept and general workshop is 30x38 and heated.

The area with my two post lift is unheated and 12x50.

There is a 10' wide sliding door separating the two areas.

Generally I heat the workshop and only heat the lift area if I'm working on a car when it's in the air.

I have an 80k NG radiant tube heater hanging from the ceiling.... nice warm heat.

I am on the budget plan... $50/month all year round.

My a/c is a 1966 Fedders window unit still going strong.

A couple pix ...one is my lift area the other while setting up for last falls Man Sale...

IMG_20231014_212232353.jpg

IMG_20230830_192740066_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Luckily I don't really worry
too much about heating.
There are days here where
it will hit the low 70's in
January, and I save my
garage work until then.
Cooling is a different matter.

My 24 x 24 is well insulated and heated with a 220v electric with fan. One 9x7 door and a walk in door, 110 window ac for summer.
I would guess aprox $40.00 per month year round. That garage panel is fed 100 amps from the house 200 service.
My 30 x 50 Morton is not heated and just for parking and storage.

0$
Its a 40 x48 shop i really don't do much out there in the winter. I do indoor house stuff during this time.

When I built my shop, 1000 sq. ft. foot print with 2 levels - I super insulated the entire build. R60 in the ceiling, R40 in the walls and R20 under the slab. The complete building envelope was covered with used 4 inch styrofoam insulation sourced from commercial roofers. All seams taped. I heat with wood. Net result with an average working temperature of 17C or about 65F is about 2 face cords of wood for the entire year. I probably would use 1 cord of wood if I kept the temp. at 10C or 50F. Canadian climate.

I try to do metal and fab work during the cold months...... I can work in 50-55 degrees with a sweatshirt

spraying epoxy and painting in the cold months really adds up; this past winter I couldn't avoid it

i have propane, off one tank 500 gallons, Runs my house 1100 sq. ft., pole barn 1800 sq. 10 ft. ceilings, and the new shop 2400 sq. with about 15 ft, ceilings. shop is new but spray foamed, pole barn has 2" foam walls and r-38 in ceilings, house is 1850's remodeled 20 years ago with batt insulation, couldn't afford spray foam back then. I'm averaging about 250 a month overall, keep the house at 68 and the 2 buildings at 50 unless I'm working then bump them up to 60, hoping to reduce the cost next year, since won't be trying to dry drywall and paint like I did this past year building the new shop. :(

I have a 30x42 with 12ft walls I only heat when I'm working inside but there is a 24x30 added on I heat to 45 constant and 65 when I'm out there. It's kind of the Neiborhood bar on weekends so it's heated and airconditioned as needed. Cost around 400.00 a year to heat...priceless in my mind. My shop is much needed therapy after a hard days work!

Auto Transport Service
Back