• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Edelbrock Carb should I put on 440 going in 71 Charger?

IMO...
Since you mentioned that your intended use was strictly street, with the possibility of few stop light contests from time to time, my thought would be the 1407 offered 4 sale above. Or the 1411 mentioned. Not to be influenced by the comment re the electric choke....after the carb is jetted for the application, the comment is unfounded...when the choke is open there is no difference in the carbs metering ability.
You should consider something in the mid 650-700 CFM range for excellent throttle response and perhaps slightly better MPG......unless you subscribe to the bigger is better fallacy....or you show me yours, I'll show you mine.....
The origional carb on your "truck engine" was likely a Thermoquad carb....an excellent carb for street use....small primaries and large secondary butterfly valves yield excellent throttle response due to high mixture velocities. Without seeing it, to make physical determination as to its suitability for further use, but it could be restored to work well. A Holley carb with vacuum operated secondaries, in the 600-650 CFM range should
also be considered a good choice as well.
BOB RENTON

Another vote for the 800 AVS #1913. The AVS secondaries are easily tunable making it a better choice IMO.

Cars, Cars, Cars! They each have their own personality & identity!!!!! You gotta figure out what works for the bitch, and what it wants! It's like a pussy, it's never satisfied not matter what you do????? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Explain how the original carb on the engine is junk. The 74 440 Thermoquad from a truck is a good carb to get redone. Truck TQ's have the least amount of emissions stuff and being pre 75 are the good ones. If you would not use it I would be interested in purchasing it from you. PM me.

Auto Transport Service
Back