• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Engine is this?

Local time
1:50 AM
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! New to the forum and excited to connect with fellow Mopar enthusiasts. My dad Roland and I bought a '65 Satelite several years back at Chrysler at Carlisle and currently the project is underway to restoring it as it had rust issues. When dad passed away I was left to finish the project but couldn't remember what engine was in it as I haven't seen the car for 8 or so years. Can anyone give me an idea? The shop said it's a 429, but that's a Ford engine and not sure why they would think that. I think it's a 361 BB? Thanks in advance for your help.

Coleman Osborne

Hi Everyone! New to the forum and excited to connect with fellow Mopar enthusiasts. My dad Roland and I bought a '65 Satelite several years back at Chrysler at Carlisle and currently the project is underway to restoring it as it had rust issues. When dad passed away I was left to finish the project but couldn't remember what engine was in it as I haven't seen the car for 8 or so years. Can anyone give me an idea? The shop said it's a 429, but that's a Ford engine and not sure why they would think that. I think it's a 361 BB? Thanks in advance for your help.

Coleman Osborne
A few pictures would be great....
BOB RENTON

Sorry pictures didn't upload.

Screenshot_20240218_200506_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20240218_200454_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20240218_200329_Gallery.jpg

First, Sorry to hear of your dad's passing.... Second would he be the same Roland Osborne that founded the NHOA?
If so I agree with Pnora a 426 Wedge would be my guess without any pictures...

Oh, now we have pictures... The air cleaner & valve covers look like 426 street wedge parts... A better picture of the front area of the engine would help..

Maybe a 361 or 383 or 426 wedge as pnora said chrome air cleaner and valve covers. Need good pictures if a flat area in front of intake driver's side. You might have a small diamond. For a service manual go to Service Manuals – MyMopar

First, Sorry to hear of your dad's passing.... Second would he be the same Roland Osborn that founded the NHOA?
Yes sir, that's him. Thank you!
First, Sorry to hear of your dad's passing.... Second would he be the same Roland Osborne that founded the NHOA?

Oh, now we have pictures... The air cleaner & valve covers look like 426 street wedge parts... A better picture of the front area of the engine would help..

Screenshot_20240218_204015_Gallery.jpg

Still hard to tell... What we are looking for is a pad to the drivers side of the distributor with numbers and letters stamped into it... A 413,426 or a 440 would have that pad... Like this..
SA327_FULLBOOK_MoparBBody_Page_025_Image_0002.jpg

A 361,383 or a 400 would not have that pad... like this...

maxresdefault-3567081191.jpg

Instead it has a pad to the passenger side of the distributor which is an extension of the block surface..

Numbers stamped on the pad should ID the engine..

Yes sir, that's him. Thank you
I met your dad and Marty at the Spring Fling some years ago. They both signed my BFG banner with Marty's car on it. Have it hanging in my garage. Awesome dude. RIP for your dad and mom. That magazine was one of the best ever put out back in the day.

IMG_0762.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back