• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What gas needed to run 11.0 - 10.5 CR

Chicago gets 110 dam once again southern Illinois gets shafted.. 93 is the highest..
:lol:

LMAO with that reply ....
Screenshot_20211014-053308_Gallery.jpg

Chicago gets 110 dam once again southern Illinois gets shafted.. 93 is the highest..
:lol:

Hmmmmm. I think you're better off where you are at.

This is what 110 octane is used for
( from Chicago) ... also 100 octane
( from Bensenville ) York & Irving ...
just west of intersection on Irving...
Why put it in .. I had half a tank of 92 octane, started putting in 100 octane in back driveway with the car running car was idling well, half way through the 5 gallon can the car smoothed out even more .... it's like the car said "thank you"
finally good stuff.... I use another car to get the high octane .... I think it's worth it...

Yes it is .... thanks...Mom's house ... sold 2
years ago .... didn't want to pay
Crook County.... I mean Cook County
$20,000 / year in property taxes ...
Mom had homeowners and senior freeze
.... paid $6,000 / year ...

who else would buy 110 octane besides hot rodders? wondering how they get enough volume sales from that.

I'll just have to get my own gas station.

Bring this thread back from the dead. I don't know why I forgot to ask this earlier.... but what about the water/methonal injection idea. I'm told this can bring octane levels up to 116?

Bring this thread back from the dead. I don't know why I forgot to ask this earlier.... but what about the water/methonal injection idea. I'm told this can bring octane levels up to 116?

Water / methanol injection does not alter fuel octane, however, it cools the intake charge which can suppress detonation under certain conditions.

Your right I didn't word that very well. I know that it doesn't alter the fuel in anyway. But like you said does lower combustion Temps that inturn lower the chance of detonation.?

From what I read it's more common for forced induction setups but no reason ot can't be used in NA application

Water / methanol injection does not alter fuel octane, however, it cools the intake charge which can suppress detonation under certain conditions.

YES.....it cools by the process called LATENT HEAT OF VAPORIZATION which absorbs heat (of combustion) by transforming a liquid (water/alcohol mix) to a gas, thereby cooling it. This is also how the new car engines, using gasoline direct injection (GDI) process, similar to a diesel engine, inject gasoline directly into the combustion chamber a milli-second b4 the spark occurs, cooling the chamber charge, allowing for high compression ratios (~ 11.0:1) yet running 87 octane fuel, without detonation, allowing the engine to produce significantly more power. Just a few adfitional thoughts......
BOB RENTON

Back in the late '70's early '80's there were a few aftermarket water injection kits on the market, as well as a host of DIY versions. I experimented with them back then, as high octane fuel for the street was in short supply. I found that while it did suppress detonation, it also degraded performance. This led me to pursue blending Av Gas and leaded racing fuel into pump gasoline for better results. This is also why I have octane numbers for various blends. I worked in a refinery at the time. Note, these "experiments" shall we say, were all on naturally asperated engines, of the Mopar brand of course.

Back in the late '70's early '80's there were a few aftermarket water injection kits on the market, as well as a host of DIY versions. I experimented with them back then, as high octane fuel for the street was in short supply. I found that while it did suppress detonation, it also degraded performance. This led me to pursue blending Av Gas and leaded racing fuel into pump gasoline for better results. This is also why I have octane numbers for various blends. I worked in a refinery at the time. Note, these "experiments" shall we say, were all on naturally asperated engines, of the Mopar brand of course.

Remember, if you can, back to the late 60s, when Oldsmobile had a turbocharged 215 cubic inch all aluminium V8 engine, and to avoid detonation due to Old's "Ultra High" (10.5:1) compression ratio used an alcohol-water injection system, that was fairly effective. I do not remember exactly where the mixture was introduced....perhaps ahead of the turbo's intake or somewhere in the carb or intake manifold. This is the same engine that was shared with Buick, but only Olds used the alcohol/water injection system. Sorry I cannot recall the specific details......
BOB RENTON

Yep. It takes considerable energy away from the combustion process turing water into steam.

Yep. It takes considerable energy away from the combustion process turing water into steam.

Absolutely correct, but I didn't want to get into the physics of it.

who else would buy 110 octane besides hot rodders? wondering how they get enough volume sales from that.

I'll just have to get my own gas station.
Performance bikes. Including some "Hopped up" Harley's. We have a station that sells AV gas. Listed as 100+ octane. (Last I saw at about $8/gal.) And if there is someone already there fueling? It's always a performance built bike.

My local airport has self-serve avgas for $4.85, as of two days ago. I went to get five gallons, but my credit card had expired. Drat!

Auto Transport Service
Back