• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Headers?

Can anyone tell me what headers to use on a 400 77 dodge charger, that is stock. I am freshening up a 50k original daytona and want add headers before I put the k-frame and motor back in. I have tried to search this forum for bb header info and have only come up with the headman elite on a few threads and then some threads talk about using any bb header. I think I have looked on every header website and have not found one that I can assure will fit this car. Any suggestions would be helpful. I dont mind paying top dollar if they will fit the first time and last so I dont have to replace them anytime soon.

Thanks
Spencer

I've recently been informed that Hedman (Summit's) part # HED78050 fit later model B body small blocks without drama. They also list part # HED78030 for big blocks. The guy that told me this has used em several times on different cars (78-79 Magnums) without any steering or starter clearance issues. Good price at under 200 bux, they're worth a shot.
Hooker's Competition headers go for the same money, but I've never heard or read what kind of resuts people get with em.
I have no idea why it costs 2-3 times more to make a header that fits vs one that "almost" fits, quality of materials notwithstanding. Tubing is bent, then welded together....the end. Thicker tubing, flanges, better welds and finishes add up to more $$ for sure, but you'd think something as elemental as "fit" wouldn't cost THAT much extra....
I'd love like hell to have a top-quality set of ceramic-coated headers on my car, but at $500-$700 its just not very likely. That's in the ballpark of what I paid for the car initially. Fighting with cheap , ill-fitting headers isn't really worth the trouble either for what basically amounts to a beater/driver.
I guess you get what you pay for...sometimes less.

Thanks Jonnyuma and 1969coronet440,

I have a set of hedman 78030's already or atleast what appears to be the exact same pipe configuration and they hit the power steering. I found a set from schumacher creative services ( www.engine-swaps.com ) and are of a tri y configuration and they say they fit great(ofcourse, right!). Has anyone had any experience with these? Or does anyone have a set of headers on there 400ci 1975-1977 charger or cordoba and didnt need to beat them or they dont rub, if so let me know? Would be greatly appreciated. I may just get these schumachers just to try them out and let the rest of ya know how they fit.

TTI says they have never had a set on those years of b-bodys and dont know if they would fit. Is anyone running the TTI's on there 400?

I have decided to buy the headers from schumacher and try them out. I will let you all know how it goes.

:nike:

I've heard (read) that the Schumacher and TTIs both fit late B bodies well. I think the only thing that keeps em from ending this discussion permanently is the price tag. If they weren't so expensive, guys wouldn't be constantly searching for a lower priced alternative. I just looked at the Schumachers online and you're looking at over a G, delivered. No doubt they're of the highest quality, but thats a pretty penny to drop on a discretionary item. If you're going racing and need every last bit of power out of your engine, they'd be mandatory....and worth it. But for a street going cruiser/hot rod...? Man, that's a lotta dough for most of us. A set of heads, wheels and tires, upholstery, lots of stuff could be done with a thousand bux. At least thats how I see it. Whichever ones you decide to go with, come back and let us know how it goes. This seems to be a murky area and every bit of first-hand information is helpful to others wrestling with the same decisions.

It's been so long I don't remember who built the headers but I believe they are "BlackJack" and they are not expensive. I had them alumacoated at a machine shop for $50 and they still work fine after twenty years. The alumacoat is why they are still in good shape. They are on a 440 in a '77 Charger.
Go to any autoparts store and order headers for a 1968 to 1974 B body, Charger, Road Runner etc. They all fit. Just because the Chrysler service manual calls it an X body doesn't mean that it isn't actually a B body. It is a B body and everything is the same except perhaps the iso suspension nonsense.

I got a good used set of hooker super comp ceramic coated headers for cheap at work. They were on an A12 Runner that we are restoring to original. I am swapping from 318 to 440 in my 76 doba this summer if all works out. Just in time for $5+ gas... still want to do the swap anyhow.. Hopefully these headers work out good for me, if not, I can probably get my money back through Craigslist. I will have to post results.

Got the schumacher headers. Seem to fit great, not done with the exhaust yet, but the headers fit great. Ill try to add some pics when I figure out how!

I've decided to forego headers alltogether. I am going to get some stock manifolds from a '92 truck or van with a magnum motor in it including the front pipe. Cut front pipe and build a dual system. These magnum manifolds have a 2 1/8 i.d. Part #53006617 driver and 53006618 pass.

I just wrote about this yesterday on another post. Stay away from Hookers!! They fit like crap on my 72 satty with factory 400/727. Steering clearance, hit the tranny on the bump out. When I finally got ahold of the customer service( dont try calling they never even answered the phone) thru email, what a joke. I had purchased them in November and didn't install them until May. He told me the warranty was already up(90 days). I told him I had just installed them and I had sandblasted them and coated them with POR30. That voided the warranty and I must have modified them. He asked what mounts I had (stock) every question was to shift the blame on me. The only modifications were to the clearance problem areas after I had to use them. I will never buy SCHNOOKERED HEADERS again. It amazes me a company that has been around for decades cant get the fit right on a car thats 40 years old and then wont warranty them if there is a problem.

FWIW- the small block headers on my charger and my duster are both the same exact header. they are the cheap *** long tube hooker headers and they fit perfect. they dont leak, they dont scrape, they dont burn wires, they dont hit any thing, and the paint looks as good as the day i bought them, and they have been ran every day for the last year and a half. it took me all of 3 hours to take my complete exhaust system of my duster and bolt these on and running. now, the BB headers from everyone i know has not had a problem, although i have read both sides of the story good and bad. maybe there was an issue with them i am not aware of.

I put my first set of headers in 1973... in all the years since, I've installed quite a few Hookers on my, and customers, cars. Only once did I have a minor clearance issue with the right torsion bar on a Mopar. And I never had a quality/waranty issue with any Hooker header, either.

Auto Transport Service
Back