• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is a fair price for an 8 3/4 rearend ???

43tutor

Local time
4:35 AM
Reaction score
I stumbled across an 8 3/4" complete drum to drum rearend today. It has the 741 case, large bolt pattern on axles, open 2.76 according to metal tag attached under one nut on third member. The unit has been sand blasted and painted and even comes with a set of brand new brake shoes for the 11" drums and another complete third member (741 case with the same open 2.76 gear). Drum to drum measures 62 1/2" and spring mounts are 46" (measurements are approximate).

I'm looking at purchasing and flipping the complete unit to help pay for parts for my restoration work.

Any thoughts on what this stuff would be worth. I'm just looking to make a small profit. Sorry no pictures, didn't have my camera with me.

I get 450.00 for a complete unit if it has 2:76 ratio. any deeper ratio, and the price goes up. Keep in mind this is for a B Body, or A Body. C bodies are much less. They haven't been made in a long time, and are becoming scarce.

I've seen similar rears sitting around on sale for $400 on CL for close to two years now, so I'm guessing that's a better asking price than a getting price. The ones I see selling are in the $200-$250 range, but it really depends on what's shaking in your area as far as cars go. Most buyers don't want to pay shipping on these so sales tend to be local, and then the price is all based on how many people in your buying area need an 8 3/4 and how bad they need it.

The other problem is it costs $300+ to get gears changed, plus another $200 for a gear set, so unless you want 2.76 gears you're looking at paying say $400 for the rear plus another $500 or so to get the gears you want, so it's cheaper to just wait until you find a rear with the gears you want already in there.

The gear ratio is easier to find than the housing. If a person wants to wait for a B body with a 3:55 rear,, they will wait a long time. Changing the pumpkin is a 30 minute job, so when I sell the housing, I keep a supply of ratios around to give them what they want. You are right though, that in some areas this Isn't so easy. In the Midwest, there are a lot of car guys to help out.

I'll probably be selling my 3.91 suregrip 8 3/4 for my roadrunner and I have no idea how much to sell it for so this thread will help me out...Gotta pay for that dana60 haha

Follow ebay, those gears are going for 350- 450 all day long.
If they are in good shape.

Auto Transport Service
Back