• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the OEM width of 14" Road Wheels? (The ones with trim rings)

I understand. It’s not something we do for fun. I’ll still be interested in the spring.

I remember that the biggest BS excuse in this hobby, never say never with mopar.

I understand. It’s not something we do for fun. I’ll still be interested in the spring.

I remember that the biggest BS excuse in this hobby, never say never with mopar.
Of topic but remember early T/A and ARR’s came with steel wheels and trim rings til rally’s became available

Well sorry I couldn’t make you happy by contributing to the conversation. Just adding my 2 cents

You can stick a tape measure through the slot with the trim ring off and get really close with the measurement. Keep in mind that the wheel width is measured from inside the wall that the tire bead mates against.....

You can stick a tape measure through the slot with the trim ring off and get really close with the measurement. Keep in mind that the wheel width is measured from inside the wall that the tire bead mates against.....
Ok if it’ll make the readers happy I’ll get it measured this weekend

Of topic but remember early T/A and ARR’s came with steel wheels and trim rings til rally’s became available

No AAR’s came with steel wheels, they all had 15x7 rallies.

the steel wheels were standard on T/A”s and the rallies were optional.

The 15X7 rally started out at the beginning of the 70 model year in august 1969, there wasn’t an availability problem of 15x7 rallies in "feb-April 1970.

Dont believe me, contact the TA registry or the AAR Cuda Registry. They know lots about it. I inquired about this with both of them in the past.

I’m plenty happy already, these threads won’t change that.

No AAR’s came with steel wheels, they all had 15x7 rallies.

the steel wheels were standard on T/A”s and the rallies were optional.

The 15X7 rally started out at the beginning of the 70 model year in august 1969, there wasn’t an availability problem of 15x7 rallies in "feb-April 1970.

Dont believe me, contact the TA registry or the AAR Cuda Registry. They know lots about it.

I’m plenty happy already, these threads won’t change that.
Thanks for educating me on the T/A rims. Learned something new. Was always told rally’s not available on early build so they got steels.

You can lay the wheel flat on the ground and put a straight edge across the section width of the tire.
Measure through the center hole to the ground (gives section width of tire)
Measure from the straight edge to the rim. Multiply that measurement by two and subtract from the section width. That gives overall width of rim
Subtract a half inch for a steel wheel, an inch for an aluminum wheel to get bead to bead measurement (the normal measure of the width of a rim)
So (hypothetically ) 8" section width, minus 1" twice, gives 6", and would make it a 5 1/2 steel rim. Your numbers may vary.
No need to dismount a tire for b to b measurement. Technique works with any tire/rim that will hold air.

You can lay the wheel flat on the ground and put a straight edge across the section width of the tire.
Measure through the center hole to the ground (gives section width of tire)
Measure from the straight edge to the rim. Multiply that measurement by two and subtract from the section width. That gives overall width of rim
Subtract a half inch for a steel wheel, an inch for an aluminum wheel to get bead to bead measurement (the normal measure of the width of a rim)
So (hypothetically ) 8" section width, minus 1" twice, gives 6", and would make it a 5 1/2 steel rim. Your numbers may vary.
Thank you

I'm pretty sure the A66 Challengers came with the 15x7 rally wheels also. Not sure if they were standard or an option but the one I had came with them....

I'm pretty sure the A66 Challengers came with the 15x7 rally wheels also. Not sure if they were standard or an option but the one I had came with them....
As for 15x7 rallyes on A66 challengers, I don't know. This is what came on my friend's A66, 14x6 I think. (Too small, in my opinion)

20210314_082139.jpg

20210314_082202.jpg

As for 15x7 rallyes on A66 challengers, I don't know. This is what came on my friend's A66, 14x6 I think. (Too small, in my opinion)

View attachment 1374331

View attachment 1374332
Well, if that's an R/T, it's not an A66 car. The A66's were 340 cars that looked just like the R/T's did but didn't have R/T emblems. The A66's were also a mid year car built mainly to get around the high insurance rates that the R/T's had. R/T's were selling pretty good so ChryCo was trying to keep the numbers up by offering the small block (R/T look alike) to people who were having a hard time getting insurance. I also got caught up in that insurance crap. I could afford to buy a new car but couldn't handle the insurance crap so ended up getting a 72 Rallye Pack in 74. My A66 came a year later but it was beat up some but no rust. Also, the A66 cars were supposed to have a little bit bigger front fender opening because of the bigger wheels but haven't confirmed that. I have a question in at an A66 registry and am waiting on a reply. Anyways, I sold my A66 well before any of this stuff became popular and hardly anyone knew about them back in the day.

The road wheels in 1969-1971 were all 14x5.5”
14x6 started in1972, but they still made the 5.5 also.

road wheels are the 5 spoke center with a trim ring.

View attachment 1373873
As you know, I owned an original unrestored 1970 GTX with factory trim ring road wheels back in day. I always recalled those wheels as 14x6, but that was a long time ago. So I did some research. Everything you posted is accurate. But I came up with some additional information. I am quoting from the "Charger, Road Runner, & Super Bee Restoration Guide," authored by Paul Herd in 1994. "In 1970, two different sizes of Road Wheels (Magnum 500 were used. Chargers without the heavy-duty suspension option used 14x5-1/2 inch rims, part number 2944474, while rims on the muscle cars were 14x6in, and used part number 3461359." Maybe someone else can verify the 3461359 part number with Chrysler documents. I can't, and of course my car is long gone.

Well, if that's an R/T, it's not an A66 car. The A66's were 340 cars that looked just like the R/T's did but didn't have R/T emblems. The A66's were also a mid year car built mainly to get around the high insurance rates that the R/T's had. R/T's were selling pretty good so ChryCo was trying to keep the numbers up by offering the small block (R/T look alike) to people who were having a hard time getting insurance. I also got caught up in that insurance crap. I could afford to buy a new car but couldn't handle the insurance crap so ended up getting a 72 Rallye Pack in 74. My A66 came a year later but it was beat up some but no rust. Also, the A66 cars were supposed to have a little bit bigger front fender opening because of the bigger wheels but haven't confirmed that. I have a question in at an A66 registry and am waiting on a reply. Anyways, I sold my A66 well before any of this stuff became popular and hardly anyone knew about them back in the day.
Oh, it's a real A66 all right. My friend has owned it since the early 80s. The previous owner put the stripes and R/T emblems on it. She got dinged by a judge pretty badly for that at a spring fling once, and hasn't shown it at a Mopar show since,
Really a shame, cause I haven't seen a real A66 at a spring or fall fling in about five (maybe more) years.
Edit: she and I have a contest at the spring and fall flings. Which we'll see more of: A66 challenger (hers), real A12, (mine) or Butterscotch paint (also mine) . I never win, cause there's never a real A66.

Last edited:
Oh, it's a real A66 all right. My friend has owned it since the early 80s. The previous owner put the stripes and R/T emblems on it. She got dinged by a judge pretty badly for that at a spring fling once, and hasn't shown it at a Mopar show since,
Really a shame, cause I haven't seen a real A66 at a spring or fall fling in about five (maybe more) years.
Edit: she and I have a contest at the spring and fall flings. Which we'll see more of: A66 challenger (hers), real A12, (mine) or Butterscotch paint (also mine) . I never win, cause there's never a real A66.
I got a reply about the wheels......"all the early A66 cars had them (15x7 rallyes) as part of the package...but end of October an option for magnum 500 wheels was made available." He didn't say anything about the size of the 500's but iirc, 500's didn't come in 15's?

15" rallyes, yes. 15" magnum 500s/road wheels from mopar, no. 14"only. The only 15" magnums are Ford/aftermarket.

How does this 70 e body get a 14x6?road wheel but my 70 b body can’t have them on it? Just asking. Not storing the pot

So Mr R413 it appears I owe you an apology. Did some research in my library and this comes to light.

0B644878-F461-4587-AB43-3D4E04A46A16.jpeg

A0C9051F-4806-4451-B351-65B7E0585E12.jpeg

F74F3102-A990-42E9-91AC-26BE73ACC729.jpeg

I honestly don't know whether my friends wheels are 14x5.5, or 14x6. I know they are original to the car, whatever size.

Auto Transport Service
Back