• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this bearing called?

BAFRAID

She’s looking like a Super Bee again!!
Local time
12:12 AM
Reaction score
image.jpg
I need to order a new one of these bearings but I’m not exactly sure what to look up. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Is that your idler pully? That's what it's called if it is. Also there should be a number on the bearing if you clean it up. You can go by that also. And lastly, measurements can be taken of the bearing and researched for the size through different manufacturers.

Kinda looks like a good ole 6203. IIRC

"ZZ" is a bearing sealed both sides....plus there will be a number after the ZZ.
There will be a numbet on the face of the outer race or possibly on face of the inner race (either side posdible both sides). The number may be something like: 6203SZZ (sealed and shielded both sides) or 6203 SZ (single shield and seal ONE side). If no letters, it is likely to be open construction.
Usually, the number of S and Z indicate the number of shield /seal used. Sometimes a letter T indicates a snap ring groove on the outer race used for positioning or retaining the bearing.
If this is the idler sheave assembly used on a B/RB engine with A/C, used as the fan/water pump drive, the bearing, not the assembly number, may be 6203SZZ or 6204SZZ, which is a single row ball bearing assembly.
I would direct you to the American Ball and Roller Bearing catalog for more complete information, applicstion and dimensions. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Some years they used a custom bearing with a smaller bore than the 6203 so you had to buy an an assembly
I had some solder the correct size and wrapped the shaft then tapped with punch to tighten
if done care needs to be taken to stay perfectly even

image.jpg
It’s pretty badly weathered on the outside so I can’t read any numbers. I did just noticed there’s a sleeve inserted.

View attachment 1076727 It’s pretty badly weathered on the outside so I can’t read any numbers. I did just noticed there’s a sleeve inserted.
Can you clean up both sides with some paint thinners at all? The numbers are etched in so they shouldn't rub off.

Not got a belt and bearing shop local. Fortunately I still have one in our 3 horse town, walk in.. slap the bearing and that sleeve on a counter and say "one of these please" .

Any good parts store can get the calipers out and the bearing book and id it if no numbers
I have seen some off shore bearings with the number inked on not engraved

I think Classic Industries has the whole bearing & pulley complete.

MUFFLER BEARING!!!!

Muffler bearings are obsolete and are becoming harder and harder to find. Current technology is using converter bearings....but usually come in metric sizes.

To the OP....Try locating an industrial power transmission supply house like: Bearing Distributors or Bearings Incorporated or probably the largest firm nation wide: Motion Industries. As noted previously, take the old bearing with you and they will be able to identify it...and will likely have what you need in stock.
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back