• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this bearing called?

The muffler bearings are on the same shelf they keep the blinker fluid on. No BS.
The next shelf down is where the prop wash is kept....depending on the viscosity.

Reminds me of when, during a summer job, when I was going to college, I worked for United States Steel Corp at the Irvin Works operation, where I was assigned as a Millwright Helper in the Cold Reduction department. In first week i was sent to the General Stores to pick up 2 boxes of Super Tampax. Playing along with the "joke", i said sure, and was given a requisition for the Tampax. I was expecting to be ridiculed in front of all the stores people. After a 5 minute delay, the attendant handed me 2 boxes of Super Tamax. Dumbfounded, and returning back to my work area, the Foreman assigned me the task of installing the Tampax. Looking like I did not know to install them, he explained how to do so. The Tampax was used in an in-house designed hydraulic oil filter on one of the strip re-coilers edge guide positioners. (And we all know how well Tampax filters things). The edge guide positioner's keep one edge of the steel coil in line while the material was being coiled as it came off of the process line, by constantly moving the re-coiler mechanism back and fourth in small increments to keep the coil's edge straight. The system needed super clean oil to react quickly to minute changes in position of the strip while being recoiled.....an Super Tampax did the job..... Morale of the story.....strange material is sometimes used in other applicstions.
AND....to comment on # 20s statment re "Green" bearings......highly likely. I would refer you to American Ball and Roller Bearing applications info on Google ....all you never knew about bearings and were overwhelmed to ask....complete with dimension and construction details......
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
Got it. 6203FF

thank you

A 6203 bearing is a single row ball bearing with a strip steel retainer. The prefix and suffix letters and numbers designate seals, shields, snap rings, type of lubricant (if sealed), trust surfaces, seperator material, etc.
6203 is a very common bearing. It is also used in the Mopar alternator (round back & square back) as the front bearing behind the drive sheave. Just thought you might like to know....
BOB RENTON

Uhh.. mister, if you give me the year, make, and model of your car, I'll look it up on the computer. In the meantime, you can buy the bag of peanuts in front of the counter.

Auto Transport Service
Back