• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is Your Favorite Childhood Book?

obviously Go Dog Go was a major inspiration....... dogs and cars, 2 of my favorite things :)

View attachment 1243302
Agreed. Trip, too, is a shop dog.
I don't recall ever having a favorite childhood
book. Didn't do too much reading as I was
playing in the dirt with my favorite cars.

20200618_145921.jpg
20200616_164339.jpg
20200527_125033~2.jpg
IMG_20191031_155002_01_01.jpg
20211230_020526~2.jpg

Last edited:
Had an old Whiteman 1955 collection series with many books, pictures of the two I remember off hand, been a life time ago.
s-l1600.jpg
il_1140xN.3159980786_fzx9.jpg

I found my brother’s stash of Playboys he brought back from Vietnam. I was 8. Lol, Mom was not happy at all!

The Lil engine that could...

Drag Illustrated...

Not really a book
Archie comics, does that count ?

or
depending on what age ?
something like this below
or later Direct Connection, early 70's 10-ish+
or Hussle Stuff Catalogs, late 60's, under 10
Hot Rod mag.

I'd go to the store with my stepdad or my mom
& spend the whole time looking at cars in mags, section

MoPar 68-71 MoPar Muscle Drag Race Parts.jpg

There was a chapter book I remember called Dragster Summer or something like that. It followed this young lad who played the piano, and got a job playing at some country club over the summer. With his paycheck he bought an old high wheeler 32 Ford and proceeded to hop it up and drive it around town, and eventually got it to the drag strip, despite having to hide his passion from the country clubbers in fear of losing his job. As I recall, his mama wasn’t too happy about the old 32 either, once she found out. I wish I could remember the name of the book, it like to have it again.
see post #14
He was angry at himself when his head gasket blew because "properly assembled engines don't blow head gaskets".
Finnegan broke his leg and that is how this kid wound up driving "The Green Ghost" at the drags and he even gets the girl at the end!
Loved that book as a youngster.

Auto Transport Service
Back