• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your favorite motor oil?

What is your favorite motor oil?

• Total voters
Eastwood sells that stuff

Eastwood sells very good products, so this oil additive must be pretty good if Eastwood offers it. A ZDDP additive is VERY important to me because I still run flat tappet cams in my Coronet and in my son's 72 Dart. I think I'll check this stuff out.

By the way, GM has brought back their EOS under part #88862586 in 16oz bottles. I've heard talk that it's not quite the same as the original formula, but you can check it out to make sure.

Richard

GM E.O.S. zink additive.gif

Not to take this off topic but has anyone used the RESTORE additive in their high mileage motors with any success? Any pros/cons?

I've said it before and I'll say it again.There are now enough good oils availiable that you don't need to use additives.All you need to do is your homework.Also,be aware that whatever amount of additive you use you are diluting you're overall oil capacity by the percentage you add.It also changes the viscosity.If you have a 6qt oil capacity and use 20-50wt,substitute 1qt of additive you have diluted you oil by that percentage.No longer 20-50.Did you ever see a viscosity rating for additives?

All that is needed for an additive is one 4oz bottle of ZDDP per oil change. I doubt that will dilute your oil enough to reduce viscosity by any significant amount.

And yes, you really have to do your homework. I doubt that there are a dozen oils available that have enough ZDDP to really protect our flat tappet cams.

I have decided to switch to Amsoil Premium Protection and use their filters as well. It will cost less to use their oil and filter for 15,000 miles than practically any other alternative on the market

I have been using synthetics in our daily drivers and seem to be paying off. The oil in my Dakota was swapped to synthetic at 40,000 miles and now (many years later) as she has hit 110,000 miles and recieved a new timing chain she was spotless on the inside, no leaks and runs great. I suppose I have two questions here for those with experience, are synthetics a bad choice for our old big blocks, and why? Also for those in the know, my wifes 08 Avenger, I will break it in on Dino juice, but would like to swap it over asap to Castrol synthetic, what should the break in period be...I have been using Castrol's Syntec since 1999.

Good topic, Cheers

I've ran Valvoline since 1980 without a hitch and engines are always spotless when i tear them down. Since they lowered the ZDDP levels in the regular oil I switched to their racing formula.

I always ran the rotella in my old turbo mustang.. Ran Valvoline VR1 in everything else.

Penzoil 50 racing with a bottle of Wynns 50 or 80 plus...I don't leave my oil in the engine for very long maybe two weekends worth of driving...as soon as it starts to turn color I drop it.
Synthetics are nice but for me they would be way too expensive for the way I change oil...

For the amount of changes you do Synthetics would be moot anyway:imho:.........

Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 is good oil, has plenty of ZDDP in it. The Rotella T has gone down the tubes unless you put in some additive, I use GM EOS. Those conventional oils (Castrol, Pennzoil, etc, I use no more). I'm switching everything I have over to the Brad Penn oil come spring time. It's pricy at $5 per quart, but well worth it.

Here is something you may be interested in.I took it upon myself to have an analysis done on the Brad Penn 20/50 racing oil.The results are what I had expected and why I am a firm believer it the product.As I said before,there are oils availiable that you don't need additives.

index.jpg

Last edited:
nothing like clean springs and valleys when you pull apart a motor that has always run valvoline. ive used restore in my smokers and it significantly cuts down blowby smoke. no use in rebuilding a hunting buggy thats getting 10 hours of use a year. so i just make it smoke less.

Here is something you may be interested in.I took it upon myself to have an analysis done on the Brad Penn 20/50 racing oil.The results are what I had expected and why I am a firm believer it the product.As I said before,there are oils availiable that you don't need additives.

I'd LOVE to try the Brad Penn oil, but here in Phoenix AZ, I can't seem to find a retailer for the damn stuff and I even tried to contact Brad Penn via their contact information on their web site and they never bothered to send me a return e-mail on how, or where, I could buy their product, so I'm looking elsewhere for an oil, or an additive that I can use to keep my 66 Coronet and my son's 72 Dart Swinger's flat tappet camshafts alive and well with enough ZDDP to make them happy. I change the oil in both of these cars every 3 months, regardless of mileage, so I don't want to have to buy my oil products on-line and have to wait for it to get here and also have to pay shipping costs on heavy boxes of oil.

Richard

Mobile 1 in my 07 Charger R/T
Valvoline 20W50 off road racing oil in my 69 440/4 speed Charger R/T And my small block 73 Charger SE

Auto Transport Service
Back