• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your favorite motor oil?

What is your favorite motor oil?

• Total voters
Don't mean to highjack brians thread, but is there an oil that protects better against "dry starts" or occasional use vehicles, mine will sit a week or two between uses

I was just wondering who had failures. I had a 1969 dodge dart that I put a 408 stroker flat tappet hyd cam and ran 10w 30w castral for 3 years. (no additives) I had put about 11,000 hard miles on it with no problems.I did change the oil about every 2,500 miles.There some pictures of the car on my thread (426 street wedge)

Amsoil here, expensive, but worth it.

I do wish they would come out with a 40 weight oil in their Dominator line.

I was running Royal Purple for years but recently switched to Amsoil....after talking to the guys at Precision Automotive....

for obvious reasons

1406363630021.jpg

Mobil 1 only here that stuff has saved my *** more then once , I was being a stupid young kid once and driving down a dirt roof didn't see the man hole my dodge shadow bottomed out on it ripping the oil pan off (I didn't know) I drove the car around the block and back home then later that day I drove down the same road in my charger and said look some dumb *** lost his oil pan it took me a few secs to put two and two together I picked it up and went home couldn't believe the car made it home bone dry I had a extra eng I swiped the pan and fixed the car up put new Mobil one in it and it ran just fine , I sold the car not to long after that , saw it 4 years later same guy said he hasn't done much of anything to it but oil changes , I think any other junk oil And I'd be swinging a motor out of it . I love Mobil one it's great stuff worth every penny.
Also my father runs it in his car since it was new and I was just in it doing another timeing belt 214xxx and it looks brand new in it no sludge or nothing not bad for a Korean 4 cly to get that high of miles with nothing but maintenance.

- - - Updated - - -

I will add it is getting hard to get Mobil one in 15w50 I went to 4 diff stores to get enough to change the oil in my car two more times guess I need to start ordering it off the net

I was running Royal Purple for years but recently switched to Amsoil....after talking to the guys at Precision Automotive....

My car loves the Purple, and I really like it on the dry starts after longer sits.

Penn and Rotella. Gotta use straight fake oil in new 6.4 hemi.

I've always liked Valvoline or Mobil for our DD's.

I was thinking of going with Valvoline VR1.
But, I have few questions:
would this be overkill for a (Mostly) Stock '70 318?
What weight would you guys suggest?
"Silver Bottle" Conventional or "Black Bottle" Full Synthetic?
How many miles before Oil Changes?

I'm thinking Conventional (Silver Bottle) at 10w-30. Thoughts?

- JDB

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back