• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your favorite motor oil?

What is your favorite motor oil?

• Total voters
I use mobil 1 full synthetic in just about everything. However, all of my engines are newer and were designed for the newer oils.

I have seen significant gains in fuel mileage with using this oil. (2013 Avenger rated for 29 mpg hwy is currently getting 35 with the 3.6 V6)
I have also pulled a couple of my engines apart for maintenance and after running this stuff for 10k miles everything is deposit free and sparkling clean. I run 5k, change the filter, top it off and run another 5k. Saves me money over conventional and has served me well.

for small engines i run cheapo SAE 30 quaker state
for the ATV its Valvoline motorcycle oil

Regular off the shelf Valvoline VR1 still has enough zinc in it. That's my favorite for my old motorcycles and my Satellite. I use Mobile 1 for the newer daily drivers. I've been hearing the Pennzoil Ultra is now the new best synthetic in town but it's hard to find but you can order it from Amazon.

....from Valvoline's site:

Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil contains .13 percent of zinc and .12 percent of phosphorus compared to the Valvoline "Not Street Legal" Racing Oil which contains .14 percent of zinc and .13 percent of phosphorus.

Some years ago, I ran Pennzoil racing oil in my '69 RR 383 - had no problems - then got a 280z - had to adjust the valves on the OHC engine every 6k miles - changed it over to Pennzoil racing oil - then pulled the valve cover in 6k miles - varnished bad! Cleaned it off, repeated this and varnish again - then, from the advice of the service manager at then Datsun - switched over to Kendall GT1 - took the cover off after 6k miles on Kendall - the inside of the head and valve cover looked like new! So I ran Kendall for years - with no trouble... But - here's the kicker - a Kendall rep that I was talking to told me about their annual meeting in upstate New York - supposedly a trouble shooting event as well - but the reps found out that if anyone presented any sort of a problem - they wouldn't be there next year - so if they had a quality problem - the management didn't want to hear it - so if they were putting out crap that would ruin your engine - they didn't want to hear that either - they only wanted to hear that everything was peachy - so I quit them and switched over to Valvoline. In the meantime, sold the Z car, so don't know how it looked at its next valve adjustment. Never had any problem with any of the oils - but never ran Pennzoil again from all that varnish build up in that Datsun - wonder what the inside of the Bird's 383 looked like?

Mobil 1 in 5W-20 and 5W-30 is on sale for $10 off a case of six at Costco until 10/27. I run it in my daily drivers.

50wt,kendell for racing or 30wt,for the street cars ya I know you can't buy it any more so I use brad penn ya and I know that too too

Shell or Mobil in the 15-40 variety, but if I have too much it gives me a helluva stomach ache in the morning.

Allot of talk about different brands and weights but almost no mention of zinc and phosphorus levels in them.

What levels are considered good for flat tappet cams? and how do you know how much is in a the oil you buy?

Mobil 1 in all the newer cars and motorcycles

Royal Purple HPS 10w-40 in my GTX.

AMSOIL IS CUTTING EDGE. Has been for 50 yrs. I dont change oil. Just replace the filter and the bypass filter and keep it topped off. I had a mazda pickup that had over 300,000 miles on it, that I bought new and it ran better and got more MPG's than new. Finally sold it 'cause I just got tired of driving it.

Last edited:
Cenpeco all the way. Very high in zinc. I used to run rotella in my truck but switched to Cenpeco recently. I am going to get some for my rr also. Check them out at Cenpeco.com. The only kicker is you have to order direct from them and buy it by the case. The prices compare with other oils also.

Might as well. Valvoline...hands down. For the past 48 years.

Used Valvoline 50w Racing oil in my 69 RR, back in that day.

Hmmm. There's that senior thing, again.

I have been using Pennzoil for 39 years in every engine that I have owned from my daily drivers to my work trucks, muscle cars, race cars and even multiple solid block blown alcohol hydroplane engines without an oil related failure of any kind. Somewhere along the way Pennzoil fell from grace, however I have never seen any justification for why it happened. I'm from the old school that taught me a long time ago, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Very interesting. I scored 15 quarts of Valvoline VR1 Synthetic 10/30 at Advanced Auto last fall. (Number 4 on the list) They were selling it out and I cleaned out 2 stores. It was around $3/quart so I have enough for a few years of changes. tmm

- - - Updated - - -

We have Northland Oil in town. You may not heard of it but it is used in the John Deere tractors built here in Waterloo. I talked to them and they might have some old car oil left over in the warehouse. I'm trying to talk them into re introducing it. Shipping is the problem. tmm

I see alot of members using all different oils.Has anybody had an engine failure using an oil without zink,if so what kind was it.

Cam lobes on flat tappet lifters require oil with high pressure additives like zink or moly now that new motors are roller and the zink actually wears the roller bearings down quicker the have phased out the zink in the oil.... the not legal for highway use oil... and leaded fuel ... the new washer fluid will #^¢¡ Up the washer bottle some how. The industry survives on selling new junk to dummies not saving money on old cars they havnt seen at the dealership in 45 years....

Auto Transport Service
Back