• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What kind and weight engine oil do you guys run in your early none roller engines.

Street fighter

Local time
6:16 AM
Reaction score
I have a 73 dodge charger with a 360 bored 30 over with flat tippet lifters.I know that the roller engines can and will do well just using any good engine oil but I have been told that the none rollers need a brand that have zinc in it, I have been using A engine oil that have the zinc still in it, but I would like to know what oil do you guys use and why.

Amsoil Signature Synthetic 10-40 in the 440. Per the builder after break-in. High Zinc.

15 - 40 shell with 1 pint of Lucas zinc additive.

15W40 Shell Rotella T.

Amsoil best streetable protection.

I use Valvoline VR-1 10W-30. It has enough ZDDP in it and you can get it off the counter at places like NAPA. You just have to ask them to order it sometimes if that weight isn't on the shelf and then it's there by the next day. I think that 20W-50 is too heavy and according to the old service and owner's manuals, it is.

Im looking for anything I can get hold of in Sweden, can't find any ones with Zink in them here. 10-30 is what they told me but still looking

Educate yourself. Interesting facts for sure. Personally I run 5w30 Royal Purple in my race car. I change once per year (100passes). Check bearings every year. So far so good. 572", 15-1, aprox 875hp, 7100rpm,60 psi hot through the traps.
http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/
Doug
What does the oil smell like after that many passes? When I started smelling fuel in mine, I changed it and that took about 30 or so passes. Do you ever send it in for analyzing?

What does the oil smell like after that many passes? When I started smelling fuel in mine, I changed it and that took about 30 or so passes. Do you ever send it in for analyzing?
Smells like crap, looks like crap. But Royal Purple looks bad and smells after one weekend. Bearings look perfect, lash stays perfect, .800" roller. It may not be correct but so far it works. I'm a budget guy and at $100 per oil change I've chanced it. My theory is if it ain't broke don'fix it.
Doug

I use Valvoline 20W-50 racing oil. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back