• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Make/Model car would you never own?

Any BMW or " broke my wallet". Even if it was free I couldn't afford the maintenance. My son had a 09 5 series
That needed a thermostat, BMW only for parts, thermostat and hoses were 500.00

Last edited:
I dislike those BS condescending Subaru commercials. Snob like attitude targeted at a particular potential customer.
That may not be a good reason to buy one as I hear these cars are reliable and a good value for the money,,,But its my reason why id not buy one

Had a similar experience with Toyota. Went to our local dealer back in '86 and couldn't believe how everyone from the greeter to the manager was acting like they were doing me the favor of a lifetime to sell me a Camry for $1000 over retail. They informed me they actually had one (yes, one!) in stock! I was so irritated I left, and didn't set foot in the place for 3 years. They finally got me in 1989, with a Tercel I paid sticker for, but no more. The first car my wife was unable to break (her family seems to carry a gene for destroying mechanical stuff). Reliable, durable, and cheap to run. But so true how the sales pitch can turn you off.

Never Nissan. Their commercials are painfully woke, diversity on steroids. Subaru is woke too, they are all moving quickly in that direction, but Nissan wins my prize.

As to Kia, daughter owns a Kia Stinger, twin turbo V6 with 360HP. That thing will quickly embed you in the seat. Their 5/60 warranty is solid. Wife still drives her 20yr old PT cruiser, loves it. Will NOT let me trade it in...on anything.

Never Nissan. Their commercials are painfully woke, diversity on steroids. Subaru is woke too, they are all moving quickly in that direction, but Nissan wins my prize.

As to Kia, daughter owns a Kia Stinger, twin turbo V6 with 360HP. That thing will quickly embed you in the seat. Their 5/60 warranty is solid. Wife still drives her 20yr old PT cruiser, loves it. Will NOT let me trade it in...on anything.
My sister in law is saving money for the day her PT cruiser needs a major repair such as motor or transmission. She says it is the greatest car she has ever owned.

A247D30D-DEF6-4DC5-8B90-0466080740EC.jpeg
A247D30D-DEF6-4DC5-8B90-0466080740EC.jpeg
I'm surprised at the lack of love for Subaru. The marketing department in North America must be screwing things up badly. They have a great reputation in Australia. I have to say they are the most robust and well engineered cars I've ever owned (I'm on my View attachment 1047503
I’m impressed. A dumbass in a big old Tahoe fell asleep and hit my daughter’s Crosstrek head on. Spent a month in hospital, but she’s still here.
(Tried to delete one pic)

Last edited:
I would never own a Jeep, and I was hesitant to say so here because of the obvious support.
But after thinking about it for awhile I remember why.
My daughter has had 2, both mid 90's. A Grand Cherokee and a Cherokee.
They both suffered from what hey call "the Death Wobble."
Any company that makes a vehicle with a characteristic commonly know as "Death Wobble" should not be allowed to sell cars.

I would never own a Jeep, and I was hesitant to say so here because of the obvious support.
But after thinking about it for awhile I remember why.
My daughter has had 2, both mid 90's. A Grand Cherokee and a Cherokee.
They both suffered from what hey call "the Death Wobble."
Any company that makes a vehicle with a characteristic commonly know as "Death Wobble" should not be allowed to sell cars.

My dad bought one of the early Jeep Wagoneers in l964. First new car in our family, after two tired Plymouth and Dodge wagons that were both purchased used, and were more rust then metal when finally traded in.
The Jeep was a nightmare from early on: a fuel filler line with a tendency to pinch shut (dad would end up pumping himself a decade before self-service arrived), a front end that would stay aligned for about a month, and chew up a set of tires at least twice a year, and ultimately a dash fire that led to its departure.

A misaligned Corbin clamp on a heater hose led to dad getting scalded in the face with boiling antifreeze when he popped the hood after overheating. Nobody sued over products liability back then, but the dealer treated us like royalty from that day on. Dad went back to Plymouths, and the dealer installed strap clamps on every new one after that , before it left the lot. When folks point out that the strap clamps on both my GTXs' hoses aren't correct, I tell the story behind them. I've also never considered owning a Jeep.
IMG_2339.JPG

What Make or Model car would you never own? For me, there are several:

1. Subaru - hate the name, too much of an environmental lefty image for me.
2. Kia - are you kidding me, there is no damn way I'm owning something called a Kia.
3. Hyundai - nope, no way I'm going Korean. Besides, pisses me off how they tried to steal/copy the Honda badge.
4. Chevy - too common and basic.
5. Ford - I have one now, a 2016 Expedition, no way I'll ever own another. Its been a total piece of Sh*t.
:lol:
The OP pretty much covered it for me. I will take a GM over a Ford any day.
As for the rest of the comments here are my 2 pennies.
  • I have a 2009 SAAB 9-3 that is my daily commuter, never ever one issue, on anything, drives smooth as glass, the 2.0 turbo will eat just about any typical late model car alive at highway speeds (no ****), 34 MPG at 90 mph all day long, I put 20K miles a year on it. We call it the "Road Rocket".
  • Wife drives a 2016 Volvo XC60, T-6 that is flat out scary for a newer car. No real issues, literally bomb proof warranty, safety ratings through the roof, our insurance company almost pays us to drive it.
  • I had a 1996 Volvo 850 that I put 350,000 miles on, gave it to one of my son's friends who was in dire need of a car about 4 years ago (I was tired of driving it). He beat the $hit out of it for a year, sold it for $500 to another kid who beat the $hit out of it for another year. Saw it go whizzing down the road the other day with another teenager behind the wheel. Best damned driver car I ever owned.
  • My older son drives a 2001 Volvo S-60 that get's abused pretty hard. He wants a new ride but can't justify it because he can't kill the old one.
  • I have a 98 Ram 2500 4x4 with the 360 gasser. Mechanically 101% without too much effort over the years, 270,000 miles on it but still gets the heavy lifting done, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to the moon today however at ~14 MPG it might be a little spendy.
  • Younger son has a 72' Duster and a 90' Ram club cab 2500, 4x4. His $hit is always in my shop. :rofl: He loves what he drives though. In fact he took the 2500 wheeling in the mountains today with some buds. They use him as the anchor man to tie to if they need to winch out. Not looking forward to see what he broke today.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back