• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Make/Model car would you never own?

You do have to credit (or blame) the Japanese with turning the automobile into a appliance. It's a shame Detroit didn't take notice and try to compete.

Cultural differences. The Japs have this mindset of ultimate efficiency and humility, while we here in the states are all about grand excess. In modern times, those lines have been blurred as there is a cult following among the japs for American culture, including America's big, loud, wasteful, inefficient cars, and here in the states you've got people who couldn't care less about their car and are excited about it as they are their paper towel roll holder...

Should we start a new thread?
What would you like to daily drive?
Me this! Cummins 5 speed and 50+ tires if I could.
Hate riding in cars, driving is different.
Problem is I only drive 5.7miles to work.
My current diesel never warms up, my 06 dakota TRX4, 216k, had it 12 years now is my daily.
Problem would be my garage door 9.5ft, my cummins now barely fits with 6" and 37s.
upload_2020-12-30_19-44-31.png

Daily driver? I dont need anything trick, unique or special. A new mustang GT would be fine.
3.jpg

One of my colleagues rented a Mustang convertible over the summer.
It seemed pretty junky to me.
I'd never buy one.

Old coworker had a 16 Boss 302, he did a bunch of work to it, it was a pile, it burnt up tires and pads in months, I had some lower buck M/Ts on my Cherokee that lasted longer. I think he said 20-25k mi for tires and pads, front and rear were different sizes. 2 Coil packs cracked at 45k, clutch, wheel bearing and control arm.

Any French car, all pos, faulty engines, lack of quality control, the wife's previous car was a Renault Fluence, what pos car, in high speed ( 140) km/h the windshield make weird noises, not to mention the anemic motor and terrible transmission, i agree with the guys here Hyundai make some very reliable cars, also vw.

I wouldn’t buy an old car from any flippers, they’re raising the prices, it makes the hobby unenjoyable. What’s worse is when they don’t even admit to it.

The new cars I wouldn’t buy are Ford Mustangs or Chevy Camaro's. Why I wouldn’t have room for my hellcat.

I don't know of a brand that I would not buy. I tend to buy cars I like rather than worry about what I don't like. My favorite brands are Dodge, Mazda, Alfa, Nissan, etc.
Dodge? It's even in the name? Verb. To "Dodge" Plymouth is what good decent folk bought? Lol

Easy, Ford diesels. Picked up a 6.0 diesel, biggest money pit I've ever owned. Turned me off to diesels, don't want em or need em. FU Ford! No Slavic, eastern block, french.
I will drive nearly any old mopar, nearly any old Japanese car, pickup or bike, New Japanese mainly hondas, Old Saab, VWs. Pre 75 Ford or chevy, AMC. Picked up a 78 Brat the other week, parts coming for the resto. Won't own a new EV, but retro the drive train from a wreck into something old I'd be down for. Have a soft spot for old Lambos, Ferrari, Jags.

Any USSR made autos. Like, the Lada.
Russian cars? The engineers were directed to "Make no cars pretty or you be sent to Siberia." lol

Would never own a "prestige" car: Mercedes, Rolls Royce, Bentley etc. Not congruent with my lifestyle, even if I could easily afford one.

Would never own a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. Again, I can easily afford one, but its just not me. My daily driver is a Dodge Caravan. Cheap, seats are easy on my tired old back, decent fuel economy, and tons of room for people and cargo. And, as one of the least "sexy" vehicles on the planet no one messes with it.

Never a german car, poorly built and very unreliable, pain to get parts and odd ball tools needed usually... BMW= break my wallet or bring me a wrecker! Benz are no better... folks always think they are better when they drive those, Subaru is a liberal/tree hugger vehicle wanna be environmentally safe car usually a liberal person behind the wheel.

Nothing Mitsubishi newer than 1993 (maybe a Stealth!).
Nothing Ford newer than 2000.
No SAAB,
No British cars (maybe a 2000 Jag)
No air-cooled VW.
No "Lesbarus"

My son has a '15 FIAT 500 Sport he has owned since Mar '16, has 44K on it now. The front suspension went to **** at 28K miles, but overall, it has been a very good car..I have driven it twice to Dallas (550 mile r/t) and it drove quite well. Being the smallest car on the freeway was interesting! It gets 40 hwy/33 city. Can't gripe.

My US-built '14 VW Passat TDI SE has been one of the best cars I've ever owned. Bought @52K miles, has 70K after 14 months of my ownership. I'd not hesitate a bit to drive it anywhere. My daily car. And 40 mpg at 80 mph just can't be beat!

Last edited:
While there are many cars I wouldn't own and I buy Chrysler because I worked for them so many years and I'm loyal to the end. Nissan makes great drive trains, but this car is absolutely hideous.
View attachment 1047117
When I took my truck in to the dealership for service they gave me that cube thing...It was lousy to drive, handling like ****.
I know I need to loose a few pounds but driving up up a steep hill I saw a person older than me passing me on their bicycle.
They had my truck for several days and I started to get use to this car and it was better than taking a bus but I was happy to return it.
Gas milage was good though

I dislike those BS condescending Subaru commercials. Snob like attitude targeted at a particular potential customer.
That may not be a good reason to buy one as I hear these cars are reliable and a good value for the money,,,But its my reason why id not buy one

Those V12 Bentley Coupes sure look cool. Would like to drive one. German owned British Marque.

Auto Transport Service
Back