• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes these set of rims worth $4k?

Yes, you're wrong - sorta, kinda, sometimes.

MOST "rims" are milled separately from the centers. The centers are milled then the rim is placed on a turntable and heated to expand it and the center is dropped in to the desired depth or offset. The assembly cools, is checked for runout and then the centers are welded in permanently on the back side. The fit is so tight it appears as a single unit unless you look at the back.

Some wheels are completely milled from a chunk. These would be mostly "one offs" where the shop wouldn't have access to a stock of rims.
two piece is the normal "billet" wheel and they are much better then a cast 1 piece wheel. However I will not spend $4k on wheels

I like the steelies with cop car caps. :D
8BB13095-2F8F-4115-832C-01F535B5A771.jpeg

There is a member here, from my state that had a one-off set of wheels patterned off of 69 wheel covers for his Charger. They are awesome, and they actually use the wheel cover center. Can't remember his screen name.
Keepat
There is a member here, from my state that had a one-off set of wheels patterned off of 69 wheel covers for his Charger. They are awesome, and they actually use the wheel cover center. Can't remember his screen name

HRE's definitely are not Donk... I had a few customers that bought them for high line cars.... Not something I would buy but they are very high quality..
My brother was giving me crap after my neighbor showed me his rims. He said my car was like Elon Musk walking around with a pair of shoes from Walmart.

My brother was giving me crap after my neighbor showed me his rims. He said my car was like Elon Musk walking around with a pair of shoes from Walmart.
Tell your brother you'd be happy to have shoes from Macy's if he's buying...

I like Moapr rallye wheels.

The 72-74 ones, even.

Any of those 4K wheels have built in optical illusions?

Here are the rims I bought for my '64 Polara. One piece cast aluminum copy of 15" X 7" Magnum 500 with trim ring. Definitely not $4000! I got them at a local swap meet for $100.00 each, still in the box! I thought at the time that either they "fell" off the truck, or were seconds, with a blemish. I had a set of Coker Redlines mounted on them, and they took quite a bit of weight to get them balanced. Unfortunately, later found it was the tires, not the rims were the culprits.

P2070040.JPG

P7290105.JPG

P7290111.JPG

Forgeline
Billet Specialties is pretty proud of their off-the-shelf wheels, but again, those aren't a $500 a piece wheel either.
One of my hot rods has a set of 18"/19" Forgeline three-piece wheels which are all built to order for each customer. A set of four of those will set you back over $6K. Yes, they are light and they are strong. It's a good thing they were on the car when I bought it!
Forgelines are what my friend had on his hellcat demon. Post 14.

I never did know a lot about the fancy rim names growing up. Maybe partially because I never could afford them. When it came time to pick out my rims I wanted a bigger better quality tire so I went with a 17” tire back in 2018. The rim of choice was an American racing VN501. A mag 500 look alike. The Nitto tires, lug nuts, rims, mount and balance and everything came to right below $1800 from Summit Racing. Fast forward today. My neighbor is fixing up a Fairlane that he invited me over to check it out. Well lo and behold he had the exact tire and rim package as mine except his were 18” I think. I said hey nice rims, just like mine. He said nope, these are Billet Specialties. I said they look identical to mine. Well they might look like yours but they are alot better. I said OK lol. He told me that he gave $4k just for the rims alone. I mean don’t get me wrong I have a pile of money in my car with some some good parts but $4k for a set of rims alone sounds crazy to me. Maybe I’ve got the GPC of rims, heck I don’t know but they look “almost” identical to mine. For the ones who don’t know what GPC stands for they were the cigarettes that used to be called Generic Priced Cigarettes. Here’s a few pics of both rims.

View attachment 1402495

View attachment 1402496
Are they cast or billet? There's your answer.

Eh, it's Ford guys.
You won't ever win an argument with him about anything either.
I have met a few cool Ford guys, but I have met a whole lot more wide eyed buzz-word flinging rich guys that regurgitate some tidbit they are told because it's "awesome" and those guys have money to burn and think more money = it's better, no matter what. The type that will ask what all products are offered, and then buy the most expensive one listed because it "must be the best". Ford is the best, and if you say something else is good they may say "it's OK" or they may get a smidge of autistic upset energy and start ranting, you never know.
I find those guys insufferable and politely part ways before I slip and tell them so. It's America, they can do what they want. I don't have to listen to them or agree.

I just paid $1800 for a new set of billet 20 inch rallye wheels for my 2010 Challenger R/T and I thought that they were expensive!

20230621_193225.jpg

20230621_193243.jpg

20230621_193252.jpg

20230621_193309.jpg

Can you post a pictures of them on the car when you get them mounted? I think that it's going to be a huge improvement over the stock offerings.

Yes,the car currently has the chrome clad wheels with the plastic centers. The plan is to make my 2010 Challenger into a modern version of a 70 Challenger T/A.

20230201_164553.jpg

20230201_164540.jpg

20230201_164526.jpg

I already ordered the T/A stripes, added old school Mopar hood pins and a Hurst pistol grip shifter. I plan to black out the hood, scoop and top of the front bumper cover too. I am also planning to do long tube headers, high flow cats,and electric exhaust cutouts with pipes that come out in front of the rear wheels. A camshaft upgrade and a tune will follow. It already has a Mopar cold air kit and shock tower braces.

20230226_150628.jpg

20230226_150646.jpg

20230226_150638.jpg

20230515_120319.jpg

20230515_120331.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back