• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What product use to clean my door latch?

Pepe70

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:02 PM
Reaction score
What you guys using to clean your door latches on your cars.
Is it any chemical that you recommend me one that clean and remove rust and do not damage the plastic section on the 69 b body door latch, i would like to see the latch like new.
(The pic bellow is the door latch for my challenger).
Does any body recommend zinc plated?
20220831_134050.jpg

Thanks on advance

Last edited:
For rust Evaporust is great, it won't hurt plastic, it comes in a plastic container.... If you leave the part in to long it will effect the plating but just pay attention, a part with minimal rust usually takes about an hour, maybe two... From what I've seen plating is fine till it's been in for at least four to six hours...

Before soaking in Evaporust get the grease off.. Mineral sprits then wash with soap & water...

I've had lots of latches zinc plated, looks good & holds up pretty well...

That Challenger latch looks like the hinges were loose...

For degreasing, diesel fuel or kerosene or purple cleaner from Depot etc or mineral spirits[ as 1 wild r/t said] or bug and roadtar remover. Put the latches in as small of a container you can fit them in and be submerged, fill with your choice of cleaner, walk away for the day. Spray them off the next day with a non volatile cleaner[ anything chemically hot may destroy any plastic inside]. Lube up with some spray lithium grease, work the lube in the mechanism while latching/un latching so it gets into the pivots, wipe off the excess and install.

For degreasing, diesel fuel or kerosene or purple cleaner from Depot etc or mineral spirits[ as 1 wild r/t said] or bug and roadtar remover. Put the latches in as small of a container you can fit them in and be submerged, fill with your choice of cleaner, walk away for the day. Spray them off the next day with a non volatile cleaner[ anything chemically hot may destroy any plastic inside]. Lube up with some spray lithium grease, work the lube in the mechanism while latching/un latching so it gets into the pivots, wipe off the excess and install.

Purple Power & Castrol Super Clean will strip plating if left soaking overnight...

True, too caustic. I know its rough on painted parts, forgot about plated. Like oven cleaner.

Evaporust works great for latches, just make sure it is fresh and keep an eye on it. I will lift the basket and dip it back in every 30 minutes or so.

5669C6A9-99C1-436E-9CC0-E01CF6841302.jpeg

I second that motion for evaporust. Soak them then use a brush to clean the krud.
then re-soak and repeat.

Thanks for all comments know I have and Idea what I need to do

Auto Transport Service
Back