• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What requirements are there to titling and registering a "Salvaged" car?

I would be afraid that the state that the salvage title was issued in kept a record of the original VIN. If there is nothing fancy about the car I would go hunting for a rust bucket with good papers and as long as you own both of them I see no harm no fowl. Hopefully, you have a relative that lives in a decent state and you can title it there.

Ooooof...License plate lamp! That is another thing to fix.

XH 51.jpg

I would be afraid that the state that the salvage title was issued in kept a record of the original VIN. If there is nothing fancy about the car I would go hunting for a rust bucket with good papers and as long as you own both of them I see no harm no fowl. Hopefully, you have a relative that lives in a decent state and you can title it there.
In the case of non salvaged cars, if a registration goes inactive for awhile, it drops out of the system. A VIN verification needs to be done to authenticate the numbers then the process of re-registering the car begins.

In the case of non salvaged cars, if a registration goes inactive for awhile, it drops out of the system. A VIN verification needs to be done to authenticate the numbers then the process of re-registering the car begins.
You'll also need proof of insurance.
Insurance companies will run the
vin thru NCIB, whereas the state will
run the vin thru NCIC. Insurance is
checking for any unsettled losses
on the car, the state checks to see
if any major component (car/engine/
trans/even some body parts such as
fenders/hoods/trunk lids, have been
reported as stolen. Cars pre 1981
don't have the standard 17 digit vin.
What's aggravating, is both of these
entities apply post 1981 standards
to these older cars, and in most cases
those rules can't possibly apply.
Case in point. My Plymouth truck.
It was registered the day it was
purchased (1940), driven to a ranch,
and never saw asphalt after that.
DMV wants me to research a title
that is 80 years old and only registered
one time, using a 12 digit serial
number. They won't 'grandfather'
anything either, as when I started
this project, everything I did to
document the purchase (at that time),
was all I needed to get a title.

I wonder how many cars are around that don't have legit titles, and the owners know full well that they have a problem on their hands.

I started thinking about Florida cars, and the one that was bought from a garage under dubious circumstances, and then sold to appease the wife a short time later. It would be interesting to see if that car surfaces here with the new owner.

Fairly sure the VIN was XP29G9G254378

A friend also told me that Georgia was another state that can prove difficult to title a car that has a dubious background. I guess I was lucky when I bought my A100. Only needed a Bill of Sale, and it was expedited easily from USA.

Mine obviously doesn't have a dubious
background as I bought the truck
from the original owners grandson,
on a bill of sale. (all I needed 27
years ago). He had no clue where the
title was.
I'm not faulting a DMV's procedures
as I would be really, really pissed if
someone stole a project I poured
and soul into, and thru nefarious
practices, made it their own.
But I do fault them for not grasping
certain circumstances that will
allow someone to get their project
on the road. They don't bend, and
if you happen to get some power
hungry, bumble headed bimbo
handling your paperwork, good
luck.

you never mentioned salvage title in the build thread........post 10 is looking better and better

Hello,
I'm to the point where I am ready to transfer title and register this car:

View attachment 1380981

It runs and drives, steers and stops just fine. It does have a Salvaged title though, meaning that it was totaled and parked for 24 years. The full story of the revival can be found here:

Lookie what $5000 buys you....

I have never brought a car back from the dead before so I'm new to the government side of it. I understand that I need some type of inspection process. The words I've heard are "Brake and Lamp" but what exactly does that entail? Do they drive the car to test the brakes then look at the headlights, turn signals and brake lights?

I have yet to find a shop to inspect it but I just started looking.
California may be different than other states but I appreciate any insight you might have.
Check with your local Department of Transportation/ Licensing bureau to find out how it's done.

Print the requirements from CA DMV that were linked to above.

Any areas that you have questions about- number them and also take a few blank pages.

Take this to the DMV and write down what the person says for each area in question, along with their full name and a badge # if they have one, and the date.

That's where I'd start.

Are you saying the car has dropped out of the system? If so, this could be to your advantage. All you have to do is state that you have owned the car for *** years, it was last registered to you and that you have lost the title. Then you can fill out an application for a duplicate title, fill out a certificate of non operation, fill out a statement of facts, get the VIN verified and you're good to go. There are independent title outfits that can do the VIN verification and they aren't tasked with the car's roadworthy status, just that is is relatively "complete". Avoid the DMV or CHP for VIN verification, they're too nosy. Obviously, since it's not registered, you want to trailer it for inspection.

Of course, this all means that you must lie. Let your conscience be your guide.

I don't care that Jigsaw will have a "Scarlet Letter" type of title. I just want to drive it legally.
California is messed up in many ways but registering vehicles here seems to be much easier than in states where they have annual safety inspections.
This car requires no emission testing due to it being built before 1976.
It had nothing electrical forward of the firewall when I got it in terms of electrical accessories.

View attachment 1381051

I've had to piece it back together to make everything work. It was missing the RH wiper pivot and motor. There is no wiring for a horn although I have several horns I could rig up. I suppose I could install a momentary switch to activate a horn.
"This car requires no emission testing due to it being built before 1976."

I'm sure you ment 1967, but in 1969
all they had for emissions was a PCV
valve.
In reference to post #10, not a good
idea as there may be a vin stamped
somewhere else on the car that won't
match. That would mean an impound
to your nearest Sheriff's department,
along with possible fines and jail time
for you. Upfront and honest is the
best way to go.
Even though your title is a salvage
title, it will probably stay that way
when it's registered, as long as all
equipment requirements are met.
That won't matter much until/if
you sell the car and your buyer
baulks at buying a salvage titled
vehicle.

"This car requires no emission testing due to it being built before 1976."

I'm sure you ment 1967, but in 1969
all they had for emissions was a PCV
valve.
In reference to post #10, not a good
idea as there may be a vin stamped
somewhere else on the car that won't
match. That would mean an impound
to your nearest Sheriff's department,
along with possible fines and jail time
for you. Upfront and honest is the
best way to go.
Even though your title is a salvage
title, it will probably stay that way
when it's registered, as long as all
equipment requirements are met.
That won't matter much until/if
you sell the car and your buyer
baulks at buying a salvage titled
vehicle.
No, he meant 76... California doesn't require a smog test on cars older than 1976 MY...

Are you saying the car has dropped out of the system? If so, this could be to your advantage. All you have to do is state that you have owned the car for *** years, it was last registered to you and that you have lost the title. Then you can fill out an application for a duplicate title, fill out a certificate of non operation, fill out a statement of facts, get the VIN verified and you're good to go. There are independent title outfits that can do the VIN verification and they aren't tasked with the car's roadworthy status, just that is is relatively "complete". Avoid the DMV or CHP for VIN verification, they're too nosy. Obviously, since it's not registered, you want to trailer it for inspection.

Of course, this all means that you must lie. Let your conscience be your guide.

Dipstick is on to something here.......... "lose" that salvage title, the one you never saw and are unaware of...... and try to obtain a title for a car you have owned for decades

you can always miraculously "find" that lost title after the fact

If the guy he bought the car from sent in transfer of ownership paperwork that won't work..

If the guy he bought the car from sent in transfer of ownership paperwork that won't work..

wtf is that? a commiefornia thing?

here....... seller signs title with a sale price and a date; hands it over, and it's done

among car guys; on a project car or junk, the date would often be left open....... so a title can remain unchanged for decades

wtf is that? a commiefornia thing?

here....... seller signs title with a sale price and a date; hands it over, and it's done

among car guys; on a project car or junk, the date would often be left open....... so a title can remain unchanged for decades
I don't know if it's only California but the idea is to absolve the seller of liability if the new owner drives away & crashes into somebody...

I don't know if it's only California but the idea is to absolve the seller of liability if the new owner drives away & crashes into somebody...

that actually makes sense..... seller must not be liable here if his plates aren't on it

No, he meant 76... California doesn't require a smog test on cars older than 1976 MY...
Thanks for the info, 1 Wild.
In NM, it's 1967. I may also
be confusing this with what's
required on a reconstructed
vehicle and what year engine is
used.

Auto Transport Service
Back