• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What requirements are there to titling and registering a "Salvaged" car?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:08 PM
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm to the point where I am ready to transfer title and register this car:

IMG_8356 (2).JPG

It runs and drives, steers and stops just fine. It does have a Salvaged title though, meaning that it was totaled and parked for 24 years. The full story of the revival can be found here:

Lookie what $5000 buys you....

I have never brought a car back from the dead before so I'm new to the government side of it. I understand that I need some type of inspection process. The words I've heard are "Brake and Lamp" but what exactly does that entail? Do they drive the car to test the brakes then look at the headlights, turn signals and brake lights?

I have yet to find a shop to inspect it but I just started looking.
California may be different than other states but I appreciate any insight you might have.

They check the operations of lights, their level, turn signals, hazards and so on. They check the operation of the brakes and e-brake, look for worn out suspension parts and so on. Basically a “tech inspection” but instead of the drag strip or road course, it’s for the street.

Well, that is great then. Everything works except the horn and wipers.

You guys are lucky, Pennsylvania requires that to be checked every year. Even worse is they take your car apart every year to "measure" the wear pieces.

You guys are lucky, Pennsylvania requires that to be checked every year. Even worse is they take your car apart every year to "measure" the wear pieces.
Really? What do they take apart?

In Ohio, in order to repair a vehicle w/a "salvage" title & get it turned into a registerable vehicle it will get a "rebuilt" title. It requires a list of where/when/who all the repair/replacement parts were attained. It starts with an Application through the DMV or State Highway Patrol.

Really? What do they take apart?
Wheels to pull the drums. Required to pull at least 2 wheels to inspect. They must check the boxes of which 2 wheels they pulled on the back of the sticker. It's a antiquated law that provides little to no safety benefit. The required drive and light and tire check is way more effective in finding a problem, while being less invasive. I fix all my vehicles myself, if it were not for pa. inspection a mechanic would never touch my cars.
My Kenworth and semi-trailer have a less intrusive inspection requirements. No my truck and trailer are not registered in Pa. for these reasons.
I will also add that the inspection stations get random audits which were done by state troopers who do not have to justify their jobs based on audits. Now there is a specific contracted inspection station auditors, guess what they need to find in order to prove their job is necessary? Yes, problems that are not really problems. Just more government created nonsense that cost us money, typical.

Last edited:
Wheels to pull the drums. Required to pull at least 2 wheels to inspect. They must check the boxes of which 2 wheels they pulled on the back of the sticker. It's a antiquated law that provides little to no safety benefit. The required drive and light and tire check is way more effective in finding a problem, while being less invasive. I fix all my vehicles myself, if it were not for pa. inspection a mechanic would never touch my cars.
My Kenworth and semi-trailer have a less intrusive inspection requirements. No my truck and trailer are not registered in Pa. for these reasons.
I will also add that the inspection stations get random audits which were done by state troopers who do not have to justify their jobs based on audits. Now there is a specific contracted inspection station auditors, guess what they need to find in order to prove their job is necessary? Yes, problems that are not really problems. Just more government created nonsense that cost us money, typical.
Kind of glad I don't live in PA, no offense.

Requirements vary by state @Kern Dog

In Georgia you cannot drive a "salvage" title car on their roads. Instead, you have to have a "salvage rebuilt" title; and that's the rub. Only a licensed rebuilder can do the work and there is a state inspection (special centers in Georgia) of course. Lots of before and after pictures required, receipts for the parts used (including VIN from donor cars), fees, more fees, and more fees. Of course, the licensed rebuilder has to have a registered Georgia business license...more forms to fill out and fees to pay.

It is no small wonder that some states are well known for "title washing". Georgia is not the worst offender though. Title washing is a felony (3rd degree if I recall correctly). Similarly, tampering of the paper title is taboo of course... it's a felony.

Digression for a moment:
There are all kinds of nonsense going on here with cars being "Bill of Sale" only. Lots of misleading statements by sellers here in Georgia (person-to-person, Craigslist, Facebook, etc.). Here is our law:
Title Not Required or Optional Titles

there is a process in jersey similar to Georgia (above)......

there is also a much easier process in jersey for getting a clean title for an "abandoned" vehicle

I don't care that Jigsaw will have a "Scarlet Letter" type of title. I just want to drive it legally.
California is messed up in many ways but registering vehicles here seems to be much easier than in states where they have annual safety inspections.
This car requires no emission testing due to it being built before 1976.
It had nothing electrical forward of the firewall when I got it in terms of electrical accessories.

Jigsaw FW 1.JPG

I've had to piece it back together to make everything work. It was missing the RH wiper pivot and motor. There is no wiring for a horn although I have several horns I could rig up. I suppose I could install a momentary switch to activate a horn.

AAA has brake and lamp inspection services through their contracted repair shops. They get the official stamp. From there maybe see if there are any private companies who do registrations on stuff like hot rods. This would help keep you from the clutches of the DMV wanting endless rounds of inspections, appointments etc. Although you just might get lucky and score a DMV person who is helpful and not a mindless drone bureaucrat wannabe.

MI is pretty close to OH (as posted above). I have done several of these salvage rebuilds and they involve some SOS paperwork and an inspection (our county used a Sheriff Deputy) to check that the repair parts had their proper receipts and that the VIN's (allowing for the replaced panels) matched the existing title. There was some basic function tests but everything was done inside my garage and maybe took 15 minutes. He then sent in his paperwork to the state and they sent me a new "rebuilt salvage" title in the mail. This title allows you to register the vehicle. Took about two weeks IIRC. Not hard at all to get it back on the road, at least in MI.

Hopefully everything goes well. Looks like a fun car to take out, don’t have to worry about the weather or if it’s clean enough, just hop in and have a blast

This is why people are leery of a car with any kind of questionable title status and why there's so much discussion about cars with no title.

Not to be a dick, but I sure would have done all that research before I put any money into it.

On my Jayco 5th wheel trailer (has since been sold)
I had recently had to have 'it' recertified by the CHP, Salvage titled
last year
AFTER MY DAD HAD A LIL' INCIDENT
(sideswiped a car in the local Safeway parking lot)
THE AMOUNT OF DAMAGE WASN'T THAT BAD,
a rim/tire & some side panels, the folding entry step
(alum, the FRP & plastic siding & wheel arches, **** from Jayco was pricey stuff)
labor expense was the most $5,800 IIRC
BUT;
IT WAS MORE THAN 1/2 THE VALUE OF THE 2002 TRAILER,
at the time
so the ******** at AAA 'declared it as totaled',
I had to get a salvage title at DMV & CHP to check it out 1st/sign off on it

(I was pissed at my dad for letting them do that, it was his fault
On his dime to repair it)

same deal;
with an old Truck 1976 Power Wagon
I built/then rebuilt after a big wreck on 680frwy
It got totaled by the insurance co. & I had to get it checked/recertified, by CHP
all safety items needed to work
they do a once-over, and look it over pretty damn well
IIRC (it was back in 1985-87-ish)
e-brake was one thing I hadn't redone
& they let it slide, warned me to fix/finish it,
I had to come back & get that signed off too
(they let me get it reregistered anyway)
all lights, hazards, running lights, etc.,
wipers, brakes, tires, seat belts, fuel cap/tank (?),
even looked under the hood, battery hold down

Good luck

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back