• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What size tires can fit under my B-Body?

JTRT

Local time
5:39 PM
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the meatiest tires I can fit on my stock 67 R/T Coronet before I purchase a set. I have (4) 15" X 7" steel wheels off a Volare. It had 245/60/14 on the rear and it seemed pretty tight. It has the Dana 60.
Can I go 275/60/15 on the rear and 245/60/15 on the front?

Thanks in advance!

. It may be possible if you have everything dialed in perfect as far as Backspace and wheel width. A 7" wheel will not work for a 275/60. it will poke out the sidewall way to much. I had some 275 60 15,s on 4.5 inch B.S. 8 inch wide rims and tried putting it under my 67 and I couldn't even drop the jack. I would have needed another 1.5-2" of fender well to set that puppy on the ground. I used this site as a reference since the chargers share the same rear dimensions as our cars. Some guys there are claiming to have 295/50/15,s under theirs but i dont see any success with 275 60.

http://www.chargersourceguide.com/wheels2.html

Take a bare wheel and mount it to the rear on both sides. There are enough variances in these cars that what is close on one side can sometimes make contact on the other/.
I have had success by seeing what already clears then theoretically adding to where there is room.
Example: If there is 4 more inches of room outboard, you could safely add 3 inches to be within a 1 inch margin. I did this with my 70 Charger and my wheels are just about the widest you can fit without cutting anything.

CH Intro.jpg 1.JPG Front wheel.JPG CCM 1.JPG

275/60/15 on my 67

15x7 4.5” bs

it’s real close, and a hell of a fight getting them on/off

8F3E2F55-752B-4FF8-9B54-6AC7E0A1A6EC.jpeg 05ABD087-054A-4BD1-ACB5-449F0C2D6B7C.jpeg

. It may be possible if you have everything dialed in perfect as far as Backspace and wheel width. A 7" wheel will not work for a 275/60. it will poke out the sidewall way to much. I had some 275 60 15,s on 4.5 inch B.S. 8 inch wide rims and tried putting it under my 67 and I couldn't even drop the jack. I would have needed another 1.5-2" of fender well to set that puppy on the ground. I used this site as a reference since the chargers share the same rear dimensions as our cars. Some guys there are claiming to have 295/50/15,s under theirs but i dont see any success with 275 60.

http://www.chargersourceguide.com/wheels2.html
Charger and coronet wells aren’t even close to being the same

Charger and coronet wells aren’t even close to being the same
Until you said something and i looked i never relized they arch the Charger wells up higher into the quarter. Safe bet on the coronet overall dimensions is any combo 27 inch tall x 11 wide.

Until you said something and i looked i never relized they arch the Charger wells up higher into the quarter. Safe bet on the coronet overall dimensions is any combo 27 inch tall x 11 wide.
Ya the coronet wells are VERY narrow

I've had 275 50 15s on 8 inch rims on mine but PO rolled the outside seam. can't really tell with the trim installed. I now have 275 60 15s on the same rims. 4 1/2 back space if I remember correctly. The 50s would rub on the inside on turns with a dip in the road but the 60s don't. The 7 inch rim works but not recommended by tire Mfgs.

Kern Dog What set up are you running would you mind sharing that info with me

Auto Transport Service
Back