• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What trans is this, I have been holding on to for so long??

Lineman

Local time
8:28 PM
Reaction score
I had to put an engine on this stand yesterday. What trans is this and what is it worth? I am almost certain it bolts to a big block.

I always thought it was a Hemi gear box. No idea what year and I forgot where I got it or what it came out of. I have had it for years.

Thanks

Jay

Man Trans-2.jpg Man Trans-3.jpg 2018-07-28 10.17.34.jpg 2018-07-28 10.17.46.jpg

On the poor image of the input shaft it looks like an 18 spline.......What is stamped on the VIN pad, that will denote if it was from a hemi car.....If not a hemi vin it will be from a 440 car.......

Yeah, I think its an 18 spline. I will count it again. Is the VIN on the left or right side, I didn't see it when I was taking pictures?

I read it as PP8332652. 0159 .

No dots the phone is doing that. I get that as a parcel VIN and not sure how to read that.

I read it as PP8332652. 0159 .

No dots the phone is doing that. I get that as a parcel VIN and not sure how to read that.
It is not stamped with a vin based on what I can see.....The PR and those numbers are plant manufacture stampings. 833 for A833 hence 4 speed

2652 is the date based on 10k day calendar 8/31/1968.....So it would be for an early 69 build......
0159 is the sequential number and it was the 159th made that day...

No VIN, could be a warranty, parts dept purchase or a lazy line worker. None the less if it is 18 spline, it is a valuable piece if in rebuildable condition.

No VIN, could be a warranty, parts dept purchase or a lazy line worker. None the less if it is 18 spline, it is a valuable piece if in rebuildable condition.
Have you personally had an 833 with intact casings/housings, not rebuildable?

I have yet to have one............

I was thinking of cost. If gears are beat up etc. It would be expensive, and therefore reduce the value of the trans.

I was thinking of cost. If gears are beat up etc. It would be expensive, and therefore reduce the value of the trans.
Gotcha.....I bet based on the way it looks it is a good candidate......the OP has a good pay day.....

Thanks guys, I will count the splines. All I can say is it's a coarse shaft. It's a nice looking box, I would say it might be ok to run. I kept it to have it for an option of drive trains.

Yeah, its an 18 spline. So it must be a 18 spline 833 built as a replacement on 8/31/1968.

So new questions, what would this have went in? A truck? What size clutch and pressure plate would be a direct fit for this?

One site seemed to indicate these had better bushing than some others?

Guess its still not the Hemi box I thought it was though. Still any idea what its worth?

Scratch that, I guess it is a Hemi box... Now I guess I need the casting number off of the tail shaft to know what it came out of since there is no VIN?

Thanks

Jay

Last edited:
just for drill what is the diameter of the input bearing cover- throwout bearing support- whatever- the name is not coming to me right now
as you know there are several bearing covers and bellhousings and they have to match or the fun begins- keep all parts

Auto Transport Service
Back