• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the Best Era?

My maternal grandmother was born in the 1890s and lived into her mid-90s. I think about the changes/progress she lived through, and it amazes me. Those of us who remember life before color tvs were common in households may now have lived through a time that rivals what my grandparents saw as far as technology goes.

The sexual revolution/drug use/anti-establishment era of the '60s can arguably now be looked upon as the beginning of how we've gotten to where we are now. What began then was supercharged by the personal computer/internet/cell phone era we are now living in. While there was/is a lot of upside to some of that, I believe we have seen the tipping point of these things causing more harm than good in many cases. I think all of this will be looked back on some day as the unraveling of civilized society. I just don't see how the genie can be put back in the bottle and how we'll ever see a renaissance to correct all of the crap that has come with what should have been wonderful advancements in society. But that's the price of living in a free society. We have to take the bad with the good. I really wonder where we'll be in another 20 years.

But, back to the topic. For me, the '50s up into the early '80s are the years I enjoy remembering and learning about. The cars, the music, sports, movies, TV, the women - they were all just great. I still enjoy watching The Andy Griffith Show every day. I know it isn't necessarily all that realistic, but it reminds me of a time where there was something wholesome and good on TV. And it still makes me laugh!

1958 to 1977 for innumerable reasons.
I was born in 1956.

1. I like a fair amount of 80's new-wave music and a couple songs out of the 90's.
2. Sadly, rock n' roll is long dead
3. and what's on the radio is completely unlistenable to me.
4. I can't believe that rap/hip-hop has been around as long as it has been
5. I wouldn't know a Taylor Swift song if you played it now.
6. I guess that makes me officially old.
1. Ditto, except I like quite a bit of the hard rock from the 90's.
2. False! There's still good stuff being made to this day; you just won't find it on the radio is all.
3. Totally agree with that, sort of classic rock stations.
4. AMEN!
5. Return of AMEN!
6. Where do we get the tee shirt?

I'm changing my vote..... 40s/50s

1696122540215.png

Little hipacritical but anything pre cell phone. When you wanted to be gone you just left. Nobody could call, text or find your location. If you wanted time away you just walked outside, **** that phone on the wall you probably couldn’t hear it. Im working on getting back to that time. Believe it or not I don’t take my phone with me when Im not working. I remember the life much simpler as a child in the 70’s 80’s & 90’s.I also remember the Regan era not so great in-the corn belt. Friends and families crushed by economics.

Little hipacritical but anything pre cell phone. When you wanted to be gone you just left. Nobody could call, text or find your location. If you wanted time away you just walked outside, **** that phone on the wall you probably couldn’t hear it. Im working on getting back to that time. Believe it or not I don’t take my phone with me when Im not working. I remember the life much simpler as a child in the 70’s 80’s & 90’s.I also remember the Regan era not so great in-the corn belt. Friends and families crushed by economics.
Before the internet and cell phones, kids were allowed to just be kids...
I think that may well be the biggest change for the species ever - and it isn't a good one.

The 60s were the best for me. As the 70s progressed with the gas crises, decline of performance cars, catalytic converters, unleaded gas, disco, heavy metal and glam rock, the Carter years, inflation, etc - it felt like a decline to me. Maybe it was just getting a degree and getting out of school, beginning a career, relocating, finding my way in life, I don’t know. The 60s were were my teen years, life was good, I was aware of Vietnam but too young to be threatened by it, cars were fast and getting faster, the music was good, few cares in the world, it seems an idyllic time In my memory

I keep seeing "what was the best bra" :fool:
That's exactly what I thought the title said at first lol.

Life got better for me in the mid 60's but wasn't all that bad most of the time in the 50's either. A somewhat dark time was in the military but even that wasn't all that bad. I enjoyed the later 70's and most of the days after. Even though I'm ok these days being single an all, I think the era right now isn't so hot.

Ed you said it best.... kids need to be kids! Leave the electronics out of reach and mind and go play in the woods and explore. Go chase girls and be a stinker to them because you like them. Stay outside till mom turns on the light outside .... play ball till your worn out and have a good dog to play with that wears you out...anything before electronics is better even if we were on the lean side because of times... it made you appreciate the good.

I didn't read all the responses, so repeat no doubt

Automotive
#1 hands down 1961-1971 started with the Max Wedges
then the GTOs Vetts Cobras, after that it's down hill
untill like 2005-2008-ish

#2 for all of the big 3-4, 55-60 was the start, love the HT Gms
tri5s, the cool Pontiacs, Buicks, Olds, They all pretty much had
the same rooflines, the 57 Chevy BelAir HT or the Nomad fuely
I'm not a fan of many GMs before that era
& I really like most the 2dr HT MoPars, lux-HP,
especially the 331-354-392 hemis/Chrysler Dodge & Desotos
& the sonic-ram/long ram eras, big fins that are parade floats now

#3 Right now 2005 to present, all the killer cars/trucks/4x4s, even the WOP cars
we are at the end of another great Muscle car/truck era,
with 425+ to 1025hp Hemi's galore

#4 39-41 Willys, 1 if not the best car for a Gasser (still on my bucket list)
32-41 for most domestic 2 drs/or 3 window coupes with v8s (5 window is OK)
with the exception to the rule in eras,
the 49-51 Ford Tudor (2dr) Businessman Coupe (or woodies) v8 Flathead
changed the automotive industry in Detriot
there was a huge 'butt-fugly hole' (weak anemic except for trucks, PowerWagons)
from 1941- 1955 sad days

for life
from like 1959-1975, for me it was a great era for America as a whole
1967-69 'sucked ***' lost a couple family members because of VietNam
1968 I remember was bad for the race riots
1969 July was great Apollo 11 landed & we walked on teh moon
I was so proud to be an American
But it was also the peak of the dirty Hippies eras too
& (a lot like today) another stupid *** war, we didn't want to win,
just throw good tax $$ & US lives away...
(Ike had warned US all about the military complex, when he left office)

1976-80 it went to **** again, albeit it didn't affect me a whole lot
made the US weak (sort of like today) a few other years too...
Mostly of that era we were a growing, thriving country,
huge infrastructure it was quadrupling, gas was cheap, housing was still cheap...
The suburbs were making a safer/more affordable place for people
that didn't like the inner-shittys, like living like a LABRATS all on top of each other,
the crime & corruption, in a literal 'concrete jungle' now
from about late 1980 to the mid-early 90's I had the world by the hair
or so I thought

the worst era/s, for me
from what I learned & some I lived
was the Industrial Revolution era, early 1910-1929, in there WWI
people left the farms & moved to the big-shittys,
then the depression & banks failed, then all of FDRs rein & WWII,
in some ways it was the greatest generation, in a really shitty era
but they wanted everyone on the govt teet...
Carter's rein & just like right now...
Then Jan 2009- Jan 2017 & now from Jan 2021 to current,
they set us back some 60+ years now, we are being invaded & taken over
way too many don't seem to care, the race relations are **** again
just like last time they were in power...

for sports, it was the mid 1960's to about 1984-ish
when men weren't afraid to still act & be real men

for music, the later 50's & into the early 80's real Rock & Roll

sorry :BangHead:

of course that's all my opinion :thumbsup:

Wall of text - Holy wall of text Batman, Budnicks is reminiscing again.jpg

Last edited:
The “ crooners” from the 50’s; Dean Martin, etc. Can you imagine growing up in small-town Ohio with every other neighbor being a WWII veteran? Didn’t take crap from anyone & constantly watching everything. Being born in ‘49 was awesome, muscle cars were soon to be coming. I was lucky enuf to be an original owner of a ‘68 Bee, that hopefully, will leave the paint/body shop.

Auto Transport Service
Back