• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Will It Run?

I just want to know how you got it turned around so fast.

This thread has been quiet for a while because the motor has been in the machine shop getting rebuilt. It is supposed to go to the dyno tomorrow. Accepting guesses for power level. Here is the spec:

512" RB 440 source kit with lightweight crank
12.5:1 compression
Edelbrock Victor heads
Indy 440-25 intake
dual eddy 750 carbs
Comp cams solid roller 660 intake/682 exhaust 260 duration intake 272 exhaust

View attachment 1538898

From what I can tell……
The changes to the combo are a freshen up and a bump up in compression?
No additional head or manifold porting from the previous build?

What was the resolution to the rocker arm dilemma ?

Last edited:
from your posted best ET
at 3,333#s (I guessed on weight)
at 10.40 et
at 125mph
Wallace Racing calc comes up with
520.51hp to the rear tires
578.34 flywheel hp

From your MPH
it says/tells a lil' different story
452 at the rear wheels & 503 at the flywheel

good luck at the dyno session
is it a roller/chassis dyno ?
or you going to do a engine dyno ?

from your posted best ET
at 3,333#s (I guessed on weight)
at 10.40 et
at 125mph
Wallace Racing calc comes up with
520.51hp to the rear tires
578.34 flywheel hp

From your MPH
it says/tells a lil' different story
452 at the rear wheels & 503 at the flywheel

good luck at the dyno session
is it a roller/chassis dyno ?
or you going to do a engine dyno ?
I can believe 520 to the tires, but wallace only gives 10% for driveline losses, (as a constant), which I feel is low. I would believe more like 600-620 at the crank, 480-500 at the wheels, for the old combo.

Well, yet another delay from the Machine Shop. I am really running out of patience with them. They have had the motor since June 19. It has been one delay after another. So now we are looking at some time next week for the trip to the dyno (I hope).

The dyno session will be done on an engine dyno.

The Jesel rockers showed up the day after my conversation about keeping the Hughes, so the Jesel's went in.

I can believe 520 to the tires, but wallace only gives 10% for driveline losses, (as a constant), which I feel is low. I would believe more like 600-620 at the crank, 480-500 at the wheels, for the old combo.

I agree. I would have expected to see 600+(STP corrected), but less than 650…….on an engine dyno, from the old combo.

I dyno tested a RB 499 several years ago that had some Indy 440-1’s and a factory MW intake, roller cam and about 12:1.
Made about 670hp, went low tens at about 3600lbs.

The Jesel rockers showed up the day after my conversation about keeping the Hughes, so the Jesel's went in.
New rockers are same ratio as old rockers?

Last edited:
I agree. I would have expected to see 600+(STP corrected), but less than 650…….on an engine dyno, from the old combo.

I dyno tested a RB 499 several years ago that had some Indy 440-1’s and a factory MW intake, roller cam and about 12:1.
Made about 670hp, went low tens at about 3600lbs.

New rockers are same ratio as old rockers?
Yes, new rockers are 1.5, just like the old ones.

One suggestion I’d make for when you’re just about finished with the dyno session is to check the cranking compression on a few cylinders.

I felt the same but went with their #s :thumbsup:

I have about had it with the rebuild of this engine. The last piece of the puzzle that was required was the pushrods. I received a call that they were delivered to the shop this morning, so I was expecting it to be on the dyno by tomorrow. After lunch, I got a call and was told that the pushrods only fit the driver side, they were too long for the passenger side. The builder thinks there is something off either with the block or with the heads, so now the motor is coming back apart to find out what the problem is. He told me this was not checked ahead of time because this was just a rebuild of a running motor, not a complete build from the bottom up. When they measured pushrods, they used #1 as their guide and ordered based on that measurement.

Certainly a strange situation. 1 head, or 1 deck milled more than the other I guess.

I have '73 440. I changed some internal parts and cam so decided to check valve to piston clearance. Start with just clay, if it looks good and has way more than needed all good.
Did number one cylinder, all looked good plenty of visual clearance slicing through the clay. For some reason I thought hmmm I should measure passenger side. So I did.
Clay was sheared off at valve pocket (radius), it does not hit but in a running engine it is too close. So I switched heads, measured everything 6 ways to Sunday same result. So either the dowel pins on passenger side of the block are about .040-.050 too high up on the deck toward intake, or the bores are not centered/ indexed correctly. Either way not easily fixable in block so valve reliefs are getting moved up/toward intake on pass bank pistons.
Glad I measured twice (both sides).

Last edited:
The adjuster screw operational window is pretty narrow on Jesel rockers.

When using Jesel rockers on heads that use intake rockers that have a “significant” amount of offset, I’ve gotten different length pushrods for intake vs exhaust.

Honestly, at this point I really wouldn’t be pulling the motor apart.
If the side where the pushrods are the wrong length…….if you’re lucky they’re just a little too long.

They easy cure for that is a shim between the Jesel bed plate and the head.
Jesel sells shims of various thicknesses for that purpose.

If the pushrods are too short…….well, then I’d just get 8 pushrods.

Last edited:
The adjuster screw operational window is pretty narrow on Jesel rockers.

When using Jesel rockers on heads that use intake rockers that have a “significant” amount of offset, I’ve gotten different length pushrods for intake vs exhaust.

Honestly, at this point I really wouldn’t be pulling the motor apart.
If the side where the pushrods are the wrong length…….if you’re lucky they’re just a little too long.

They easy cure for that is a shim between the Jesel bed plate and the head.
Jesel sells shims of various thicknesses for that purpose.

If the pushrods are too short…….well, then I’d just get 8 pushrods.
I just got off the phone with the builder again, the block and heads are fine. The pushrods that are off are too long. He will be checking on the shims that you mentioned to fix the issue.

I just got off the phone with the builder again, the block and heads are fine. The pushrods that are off are too long. He will be checking on the shims that you mentioned to fix the issue.
Make sure the old pushrods, new pushrods, lifters, and pushrod checker all had the same size ball end. (5/16, 3/8, etc/)

The pushrods that are off are too long.
So...appx half of them are a different length than the other half?
That's strange.
I would have thought what you posted: head and/or deck, but it would be weird for the deck on one bank to be shorter that the other, after the block was machined, n'est pas?

Results are in from the dyno. 653HP/650TQ. I was hoping for a bit more, but this is a good start. My cam may be a bit small now. I do not have all the specs yet. I will be picking the motor up at the shop on Friday. The only change to the motor was pistons to get from 10.5 to 12.5:1 compression. Cam, heads, intake, carbs, etc are unchanged.

Good news!
Hope you get some #s at the track soon.

Auto Transport Service
Back