• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Will It Run?

1702586453964.png

If the plan is to run in the NSS class, I don't think they allow 4500 base carbs,

Maybe DVW or NSS Guy can chime in to clarify

I know 1 of them has a lot of time on their hands

Have to remember a Dominator carb is not N,/SS legal. My sons cam is 275/278 in a 486 engine. It has been 9.7x@136 3580lbs SR heads and the modified mod man. The big N/SS motors are all around 285 ish
Doug

What about the twin blade stuff? Are those legal?

Not that I’m saying I’d do that swap, just wondering.

As NSS Guy and Doug have shown, traditional hot rodding practices seem to work just fine in this series…..
More flow, more CR, more cam.

AFB, AVS, Q jet, 4150 style 1.75" max throttle blade. And let us not forget. No billet main body.
Doug

Just a question. When I would get a 400 sbc with limited air flow and 11 or 12-1 compression I would usually install a pretty good sized cam 260 to 270 @50 with very tight LC. 105 or 106. Then put it in on a 100 or 99 ICL. For a sub 6500 rpm motor with less than 300cfm per runner it really pumped up the dynamic compression. Mid range was off the charts. I’m sure most guys are running between 108 to 112 some even more. But if he’s limited on flow then the tight LC and long rods might wake it up with a Tight really advanced cam. And the 4-7 swap helps a resonance issue in fuel delivery. 18436572. 5 and 7 steal each others air as they are side by side Instead of cross banks. It does need a simple plug wire swap.

Your hunt for 10.00’s sound very familiar to my path.
A combo pretty much the same as yours as well.
I made the switch from the Indy intake to the Super Victor and 1050 Doninator.
53 lbs for the Indy set up, 27 lbs for the SV & DOM. Time went from 10.45 to 10.38. So a slight gain but also the weight factor.
IMG_4358.jpeg

I made the switch from the Indy intake to the Super Victor and 1050 Doninator.
53 lbs for the Indy set up, 27 lbs for the SV & DOM. Time went from 10.45 to 10.38. So a slight gain but also the weight factor.
Yeah, but (and keep in mind I had 9+ years of the "WOW" factor w/my 6bbl) the Indy 440-25 just looks SO cool...
I know at the track the ET and MPH are what matter, and I hope to have a track car one day, but I'd be less than candid if I said I wouldn't be really happy about it being able to run on the street some, and my point is that 440-25 looks like it may have a fatter and fairly high torque curve compared with a straight from the carb to the heads intake like the Super Victor or the TrickFlow MW for a 4500 carb.
A dual quad setup is better for any street use as well I would believe vs a Dominator.
Screenshot_20231223_140602_Outlook.jpg

Yeah, but (and keep in mind I had 9+ years of the "WOW" factor w/my 6bbl) the Indy 440-25 just looks SO cool...
I know at the track the ET and MPH are what matter, and I hope to have a track car one day, but I'd be less than candid if I said I wouldn't be really happy about it being able to run on the street some, and my point is that 440-25 looks like it may have a fatter and fairly high torque curve compared with a straight from the carb to the heads intake like the Super Victor or the TrickFlow MW for a 4500 carb.
A dual quad setup is better for any street use as well I would believe vs a Dominator.
View attachment 1578357
Agreed that they look cool. And they make pretty much the same power too from my experience. I think what pushed me more to making the swap was the back firing issue, which mine did often. Talk about WOW factor. They say that you just need to figure out what it likes. Mine though, just loved to backfire. Back fired on the dyno. Back fired in the pits. Back fired when unloading the car from the trailer one night, neighbours thought it was a gun. Once it backfired when all I did was turn the ignition to on. I never had the top blow off though like some have from a backfire. Now by doing the swap I lost 27 lbs, went faster and haven’t had a back fire since. No street driving, I have other cars for that.

Talk about WOW factor. They say that you just need to figure out what it likes. Mine though, just loved to backfire.
:lol::thankyou:
The backfire recounting made me smile. Not easy for me to do nowadays. Thank you!

Mine popped the top, once. After learning to start it properly never had an issue. It has never ever backfired while running with either the Eddy 750's or the current 4150 Holley style carbs. 11 years and close to 1000 passes.
Doug

Mine popped the top, once. After learning to start it properly never had an issue. It has never ever backfired while running with either the Eddy 750's or the current 4150 Holley style carbs. 11 years and close to 1000 passes.
Doug
Yes we discussed starting technics years ago but regardless it would kick back once in a while. That one of mine I bought used, it had burst valves already installed. Hmmm. I knew that they had a reputation to back fire so I assumed it was a just in case addition. Maybe not. And they weren’t the spring loaded type neither so once it back fired they needed to be taken apart and aluminum skin replaced. All good now though, I’m liking the SV /Dom.

New best at Thursday night T&T. DA was 1470.
60' 1.438
330' 4.157
1/8 6.471
mph 105.89
1000 8.491
1/4 10.224
mph 129.53

Only change I made was upping my launch rpm from just off idle to 2500rpm. I don't think that made much difference as I have gone 1.424 60' at a lower launch rpm.

Your situation is the reason I like to run the engine on the dyno to at least close to the expected finish line rpm.
Sure, on your combo 7000 is way way past peak power……..but that doesn’t alter the fact that that’s where the motor runs on every pass.
I like to have an idea of what’s going on up there(valvetrain stability, a/f ratio, oil pressure, shape of the power curve up top, etc).

Last edited:
New best at Thursday night T&T. DA was 1470.
60' 1.438
330' 4.157
1/8 6.471
mph 105.89
1000 8.491
1/4 10.224
mph 129.53

Only change I made was upping my launch rpm from just off idle to 2500rpm. I don't think that made much difference as I have gone 1.424 60' at a lower launch rpm.
I THINK I've read all in this post and let me say I respect your pursuit of performance! lol Thanks for sharing but like has been mentioned it probably "needs more cowbell" (camshaft) at this state.

Quick update on this thread. Since rebuilding the motor last year and upping the compression to 12.7:1, I upgraded the cam. New specs are .683 intake, .668 exhaust. duration at .050 is 274 intake, 282 exhaust. 108 LSA. However, I ran into an issue with my Edelbrock Victor heads and decided to replace them. I am finishing up the install of new Indy 440-1 heads. I should have this wrapped up tomorrow and if all goes well, hit the T&T on Sunday in Bradenton with the new cam and heads.

Hoping to see significant improved over my personal best of 10.22@129.

Auto Transport Service
Back