• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Won't Go

RayHemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
I just got a 440 to go into a 65' Satellite. Easy. What's not is finding out which induction system Will Not Fit Under a Stock 65' Hood - Air Cleaner Included. I've seen many setups but few which didn't require cutting something out of the hood. Does anyone have any solid info on this? Sonoramic? - Anything but a Sonoramic. I think it's cool - real cool, but I don't want it for this Satellite. Spacing the K-frame? Uh-uh. Thanks for any and all responses.

A stock, dual plane 440 intake should fit and Mopar Performance makes one I think fits under a stock hood. What type induction system are you wanting to use?

Performer RPM, Holley 4150 carb & a dropped air cleaner base works fine on a '63 or '64 - I would think a '65 would be the same.
'65s could be had in production form with an RB; shouldn't be too hard.

A stock, dual plane 440 intake should fit and Mopar Performance makes one I think fits under a stock hood. What type induction system are you wanting to use?
I was dreaming of a Max Wedge Cross Ram setup. I don't think there is any way to get that done. I then resigned to (I mean this in relative way because I don't think I have ever heard anything that sounds better than this thing opening up) a Six Barrel. From what I've seen you are still not closing the hood. Obviously if max power or some modern manners were my concerns, I would never have considered either one. The engine I have just arrived and I haven't touched it (used 72'). I was told by a guy who put a Hemi in his 65' that if you use an inline dual-quad late 60s early 70s intake and cut the hood brace, you can do it. Then he opened his hood; Nice! I can't remember seeing an air cleaner and I don't remember what he said about the mounts. It was a while ago. I've nothing against a single four. I just find some of the other stuff more interesting. It just looks like unless you've got a few slick tricks...

Performer RPM, Holley 4150 carb & a dropped air cleaner base works fine on a '63 or '64 - I would think a '65 would be the same.
It looks like that's where I'm going. I already know that with some porting, that would be nothing at all to sneeze at. Especially when you consider the whole thing's coming apart.

Trying to warm up to it. I'm not giving up that stock hood!

Anybody that runs a Max Wedge intake and air cleaners, usually cuts the hood braces out. I ran a Chrysler 2x4 intake with "football" air cleaners under the stock hood of my '64 Polara.

My 440 had a Torker, 850dp and a Holley filter unit on it. Fit under the hood with no issue. Filter unit was a drop base too.

IMG_1453.jpeg

IMG_1867.jpeg

IMG_1866.jpeg

If you really want a Max Wedge setup it can be done, minus some hood bracing.
20190425_172806.jpg

Look carefully at what's been done to the hood.

Anybody that runs a Max Wedge intake and air cleaners, usually cuts the hood braces out. I ran a Chrysler 2x4 intake with "football" air cleaners under the stock hood of my '64 Polara.
So yours was in-line?

I ran a crossram in a 62 with the hood bracing intact. I just never ran aircleaners on it.
I think a drop base a/c might give more clearance than the stock Maxie cleaners.

I guess I hit disagree by accident.
You can go back and change your selection to Agree or whatever you want.
You just hit the "Remove" icon and go from there. A lot of new members don't realise that option is there.

IIRC the A12 6Pak fit under my '65 Coronet hood with no problem. The drop style '70 air cleaner would be even easier.

You can go back and change your selection to Agree or whatever you want.
You just hit the "Remove" icon and go from there. A lot of new members don't realise that option is there.
Nice. Thank you.

Auto Transport Service
Back