• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would be needed????

Couldn’t have been the original air cleaner then. That was a single round snorkel affair.

When the car finally arrived I found the top of a 67/69 dual snorkel air cleaner in the trunk of the car. Just need to find a correct single snorkel air cleaner for a 4 barrel

63-65 B body 383 4 bbl used a unsilenced air cleaner with no snorkel. If you go with a Holley this A/cleaner base won't fit. I would find a early 62-63 AFB and use it. That would keep everything looking original and still give a little boost in HP. In the picture I'm using a Elddy 600 which requires a different ac base also.
IMG_20200801_125812996.jpg

Early 361 2 bbl were at 265 HP as you said. The 4bbl version was rated @ 305 HP, with a tiny bit more cam and dual exhaust.

I already have the dual exhaust.....

63-65 B body 383 4 bbl used a unsilenced air cleaner with no snorkel. If you go with a Holley this A/cleaner base won't fit. I would find a early 62-63 AFB and use it. That would keep everything looking original and still give a little boost in HP. In the picture I'm using a Elddy 600 which requires a different ac base also.View attachment 986561

Great looking engine:thumbsup:

Hughes Whiplash cams are designed for low compression engines. Adds some power and gives the engine that "Sound".

Last edited:
Use an Edelbrock DP4B sand the logo off and paint. 99% of the people will never spot it under a stock air cleaner. BTW use some zinc chromate primer to make the paint stick.

Well here we go.......
Performer intake, Edelbrock 1406 600cfm, air cleaner is an early 383 un-silenced unit that needs to be redone. I also have a set of original 1964 361 valve covers that I got from Nate (Thanks Nate). Also thanks to Barry (Fuely62) for his help too.

Newcarbandcleaner.jpg
Newcarb.jpg

Last edited:
Valve covers and a wet freshly painted air cleaner. Air cleaner decal on the way from Joe Suchy

Valvecoverspainted.jpg

Aircleanerpaintedwet.jpg

Waiting on the valve cover gaskets...
completeintake.jpg
readytoinstall.jpg

Took Mabel out today for her yearly inspection...she passed with flying colors!

Onalift.jpg

So how does it run? I have a new intake carb and air cleaner waiting to go on my 1966 361. It already has dual exhaust as well.

new intake.jpg new air cleaner.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't switched the intake and carb, I just ordered a correct fuel line but considering its still running the 500 CFM two barrel I am very impressed considering its a 56 year old 361. It has plenty of power and I'm sure I could get in enough trouble with her.

Last edited:
DSC05356.JPG
DSC05356.JPG
my air cleaner is original and the yellow sticker isn't as large

Did the conversion today......still waiting for a fuel line fitting along with what to do with my throttle bracket and the throttle return spring bracket. Still need to button things up but with waiting to solve some problems there is no rush.

Before
361 engine.jpg

After
Conversion.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you need a new throttle/ kickdown bracket like this:
0F932E67-361A-40AE-BD96-DCEFD7984617.jpeg
I temporarily used a home made one like this:
F02B32E9-23EE-44B7-A45A-51118904D6BF.jpeg

want it?

How about loaning it until I can get what I need......rental fee.....

Auto Transport Service
Back