• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would be the best 727 trans book?

61-63

Local time
12:57 PM
Reaction score
Which ones bolt up to which blocks, push button models versus cable or column shift models, how to rebuild one, etc., etc. Mebby I need more than one book?

I heard a book by Carl Monroe is a good book. The FSM for your car would also be something you should always have.

I used to order a lot of parts from TSR in NH. Carl owned the shop but I think his son is running it now since he passed away years ago.
TSR Racing Products

Last edited:
I purchased two...

Carl Munroe's book has more history, numbers, and comes across more organic - easy read and easy to follow - and has a whole section on performance, which is excellent. I use this book for more insights and tweaks.

Tom Hand's book is very, very good, great pictures, and great for step-by-step trans building. I use this book for a core reference in assembly, especially.

Essentially, I like/use both.

Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook HP1399: How to Rebuild or Modify Chrysler's A-727 Torqueflite for All Applications, by Carl Munroe
ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 1557883998
ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1557883995

Chrysler TorqueFlite A-904 & A-727 Transmissions: How to Rebuild (Workbench How-to), by Tom Hand
ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 1613253354
ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1613253359

Thanks Doorkicker for the kind words! Tom Hand

I used Munroe’s book and a FSM when I built mine, so far it’s outlasted the 2 pro built transmissions that preceded it. I got a lot of parts from Pat Blais, as well as some really good advice.

Another vote for Carl Monroe’s book - with some additional guidance from the folks on here.

Auto Transport Service
Back