• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you do with these?

33 IMP

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
I have a pair of Ansen 8 1/2x15 top eliminator wheels, that need some help. They are dead ringers for the original torque thrusts, with straight spokes. These are vintage mid seventies wheels i think.These are actually a test case, for a set of similar condition American Racing 200s. I have the center caps for the ansens, but they would definitely need to be re-plastic chrome plated. Probably gonna go with the flat aluminum plate look.
Options are:
1. Clean em up a little with a scrub brush and a cleaner dip, and call it good. Excellent for the aged gasser look.
2 Send them out to be beadblasted, and paint them, all over with a dark gray wheel paint.
3. Blast em, leave em whatever gray the centers end up (or clear coat) and try to duplicate the machined lip finish.
4. Blast em, paint the centers, and send the lips out to be polished.
Mind you, these old one piece ansens have the typical for the time 3 5/8 backspace, so they really only fit cars with full round open wheel wells, of which I really have none. But if you've got a radiused wheel well gasser, these would be perfect.
I'm willing to spend a bit, but not a couple hun/wheel, as an experiment before working on the (much more valuable) daisies.
I'm open to other ideas and suggestions. (I can get better pics without the pooches if it would help....)

IMG_20221104_141405.jpg

IMG_20221104_141205.jpg

IMG_20221104_141207.jpg

IMG_20221104_141212.jpg

Last edited:
I have a pair of Ansen 8 1/2x15 top eliminator wheels, that need some help. They are dead ringers for the original torque thrusts, with straight spokes. These are vintage mid seventies wheels i think.These are actually a test case, for a set of similar condition American Racing 200s. I have the center caps for the ansens, but they would definitely need to be re-plastic chrome plated. Probably gonna go with the flat aluminum plate look.
Options are:
1. Clean em up a little with a scrub brush and a cleaner dip, and call it good. Excellent for the aged gasser look.
2 Send them out to be beadblasted, and paint them, all over with a dark gray wheel paint.
3. Blast em, leave em whatever gray the centers end up (or clear coat) and try to duplicate the machined lip finish.
4. Blast em, paint the centers, and send the lips out to be polished.
Mind you, these old one piece ansens have the typical for the time 3 5/8 backspace, so they really only fit cars with full round open wheel wells, of which I really have none. But if you've got a radiused wheel well gasser, these would be perfect.
I'm willing to spend a bit, but not a couple hun/wheel, as an experiment before working on the (much more valuable) daisies.
I'm open to other ideas and suggestions. (I can get better pics without the pooches if it would help....)

View attachment 1368516

View attachment 1368517

View attachment 1368518

View attachment 1368519
Maybe your dogs prefer dog dish hubcaps ???

Maybe I should have posted this in the DOGS thread? Lol.
Edit: only three dogs in the pics. The other one isn't so curious, she knows she's a dog.....

While I don't have a dog in this fight....(lol)....
It doesn't take much for a modern wheel shop to machine the smooth part..

I say #4 maybe try to polish them yourself. A DA with progressively finer grit paper and some Mothers polish should do the trick.

I would blast the center. Then bolt the wheels on the car start and run it and just sand the rest using the rear axle. Paint the center

Well, I gave them an ammonia soak, and scotch-brited the machined areas, didn't do much. Gonna get a quote on getting em blasted, and go from there.
I swear, if there was a west coast gasser association like SEGA, they would be going on a 49 plymouth business coupe tomorrow, just as they are.

Are they magnesium or aluminium??
Cast aluminum, and lots of it. Heavy-*** 22lbs each! Mag would probably be less than 15. My same-size AR200S (daisies) are 18lbs. Real mag would be worth about a grand each, and a pro would be working on em, not me, lol.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back