• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you do?

What would you do if you owned this original car

• Leave it original, unrestored and just drive it

Votes: 150 63.6%
  • Restore it as a Police car clone (Black & White paint)

Votes: 27 11.4%
  • Paint it black with a black vinyl top and black interior

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Paint it dark blue with a black vinyl top

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Leave the color combination but upgrade to a V8 (360)

Votes: 26 11.0%
  • Cut the roof off of it and paint it bright green with RED stripes

Votes: 19 8.1%

• Total voters
Well I cut up 4-doors but one that nice I would leave as is and drive it. Do not put any money into it thinking that you will get it back in a sale.

build a stroker 360, nice tranny, nice rearend, good set of wheels tires, drive it, show it , enjoy it....but hey I'm partial to my 76 Coronet 4 door, and it is my sleeper car......and my daily driver !!!

How about swapping in a 5.9/OD from a durango to get the mileage and power. when I was married in 1990, I had a 77 cordoba that I loved, I wanted to get a coronet of that vintage to get the suspension, power, dash board and that wonderful chrysler car in a 4-door. Of course, it never happened but, this thread made me go on ebay tolook at the possibilites that are there if that time was now. Know what, i found a few. Knowing this with 4 children...get that car back and enjoy it, my .02

build a stroker 360, nice tranny, nice rearend, good set of wheels tires, drive it, show it , enjoy it....but hey I'm partial to my 76 Coronet 4 door, and it is my sleeper car......and my daily driver !!!

benefit of this suggestion is if it's ever time to scrap the car the drive train and usable parts for a more desirable car / project / cop car etc can be reused or sold. suspension, brakes, exhaust etc not so much so if it's drives nice have fun with it but be careful if you decide to spend much money on it that can't go into to another car you are / would be interested in.

Leave it as it is. Even though it has 4 doors, it will run forever and never let you down and still draw plenty of looks. You will see plenty of cop cars but you won't see many of what you have IMHO.

Rims. You don't have to do any major mods, but how about putting sick rims on it?

I can't say I'm the biggest fan of the 4 door, so I'd lean towards changing it up. I vote painting it black. With a huge white skull on the hood. :)

Rims. You don't have to do any major mods, but how about putting sick rims on it?

I agree completely.... It's amazing what an awesome set of wheels and tires can do for an old car. I've seen some 4-door sedan grocery-getters that I was really into, just for the way some nice wheels looked on them.

X3 ..nice set of rims and maybe a little tint ...cruise around with a big smile and money in your pocket ...when it dies pull of the rims and send it away:violent4:

Slant 6 and 4 door, in my opinion, it can only be a cop car and likely the cheapest route as well

anyone notice this thread is 5 years old? LOL i wonder what ever became of it...

LOL, had no idea this was a thread started in 2008 . . . Would be nice if the OP would come back and let us know what he did with it.

LOL, had no idea this was a thread started in 2008 . . . Would be nice if the OP would come back and let us know what he did with it.

To answer your question, not much. Life has really gotten in the way. While living up in NY, the wife and I were both laid off from our lucrative jobs, and not finding anything right away we decided to sell my 1998 Dakota RT to may the mortgage for a few months (Figured I could get more for the Dakota than the plymouth). Since we sold the truck, the Plymouth became my daily driver. Wife ended up finding a new job down in Longview, Texas. I drove the massive uhaul truck towing the wifes MG Midget while she drove the Plymouth with the kids down from NY to Texas. It made it with only a flat tire and a busted passenger windshield wiper to show for it. It continued to be my daily driver down here in Texas until my wife got her hands on it.

One day I was driving it (on a friday) and it started chugging and wanting to stall, I was able to back it into the garage while feathering the gas and then it dieseled real bad when I shut her down. On monday she started up fine but as soon as it hit high idle it idled back down and died never to start again. I exhausted all my automotive knowledge troublshooting and eventually rebuilding the entire top half of the engine as well as the carb. I got it to start but it would smoke like crazy and wouldnt run more than 2 seconds. Gave up and parked it in the garage and we went out and bought a different car.

Wanting to get the Plymouth running again, I eventually broke down and towed it to the mechanics in town. They had it figured out in about 2 hours. Told me the gas tank was full of Diesel. I asked the wife if she had put gas in it and she had, I then asked her what color was the nozel she used (Diesel is green here) and she said she didnt know it was dark out.

Anyways, I dropped the fuel tank and drained all the fuel out and she is up and running again, althrough pretty rough. Mechanic said it will take a few tanks of gasoline to run through to get it up and running correctly again. It still sits in the garage to this day waiting for me to start driving it again but I figured this is the best time to do the engine swap and pull out that slant six and drop in a 400.

I have acquired a big block K-frame out of a 73 charger as well as the torsion bars and driveshaft. I also picked up a big block 727TF transmission and a 1974 400 engine. I have rebuilt the transmission and its sitting on the shelf. I also picked up the trans cooler lines from coollines. Still looking for an 83/4 or 91/4 rear end and the proper radiator.

I have removed the vinyl top to find some rust on the DS A pillar as well as the DS rear winshield corner that will need to be repaired. Due to this find I have decided not to put a new vinyl top back on the car and to just paint it. I have found replacement taillight lenses for the two that were broken.

Once I acquire all the parts for the drivetrain replacement, I will start pulling this one down. I want to keep it mobile for as long as possible before I reach that point of no return. I sold my other two projects, the 1970 Challenger and the 1973 Roadrunner as they were not practical for the family size. So all I have left is this 4 door slant six plymouth.

Thank you so much for your inputs and insights, I REALLY like some of them and they have given me much to think about.

Any input on which rims to get for it? maybe someone really good with photoshop and shop the rims onto the car picture to see how they will look?

Ralley wheels will look great on your car if you want a stock look. Or you can get Road wheels ( Magnum500) both can be had in 17-18 inch

Remove side trim weld up trim holes, paint it black,dye the top black, 15x7 magnum 500's, raised white letter tires, and drive the hell out of it.

I'd sell it for as much as I could get and buy a 2 door. Unless You are "attached" to the car, putting mods for performance is a waste of time and money and there is little market or interest in 4 doors. Not intended to bash car or owner, you asked for advice.

I would put some shackles in the back and crank up the torsion bars and but some 31x10.5x15s on some black steel wheels. My fury is a low mile car I rescued from a field where it was vacationing for the last 20 years. Drug it home, pulled the slant six head to unstick the valves, slapped her back together with some fresh gas and she runs like a champ. I wanted to do something different so I did this. The Fury.jpg

Run and drive it.... and get some future parts out of the way so it doesn't hit you all at once then when it's tiared go blues brothers

Auto Transport Service
Back