• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you do?

What would you do if you owned this original car

• Leave it original, unrestored and just drive it

Votes: 150 63.6%
  • Restore it as a Police car clone (Black & White paint)

Votes: 27 11.4%
  • Paint it black with a black vinyl top and black interior

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Paint it dark blue with a black vinyl top

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Leave the color combination but upgrade to a V8 (360)

Votes: 26 11.0%
  • Cut the roof off of it and paint it bright green with RED stripes

Votes: 19 8.1%

• Total voters
well im back. I havent changed it much at all actually...life circumstances became where I had to make it my daily driver... I had this car and a 1998 Dodge Dakota R/T which I was able to get more money for so I sold the truck and am now driving this car daily. I put police dog dishes on it and had pretty much decided to not do anything else to the car and focus on the 73 roadrunner instead.

However, the wife hates the '73 body style so I gave it to my brother. Someone stole my fathers camaro so I sold him the '70 Challenger for $2500 for a project for him to work on.

So that leaves me with just the '74 Satty and the '06 Grand Caravan. Daily driving the satty with car seats in the back and such is taking its toll on the car. Front seat has ripped in 3 spots right at the seams. The original vinyl top is starting to split, had to crack the engine apart for the first time ever and replace the valve cover gasket. Windshield is leaking under heavy rain. Heater core is leaking into the pass floor board and I cannot find a heater core replacement anywhere. Wipers and turn signals stopped working, radio wont stay on station and there is rust peaking through on the bottom of rear bumper.

So im thinking another year or two and hopefully my economic situation has improved to the point where I can get another daily driver and start tearing this down for a resto.

and yes, im one of those people that loves 4 doors....mainly because I have a big family (4 kids) and we all love to go cruising in them. All 6 of us can fit comfortably in the car with the front and rear bench seats.

survivor

Looks like a good car to be loaned out for movies, tv shows, commercials etc. Take it's earnings and use the $ to build up or buy a nice Road Runner or somesuch.
David

Go chase that orange 69 charger around, but don't follow it over any jumps...

Looks like a good car to be loaned out for movies, tv shows, commercials etc. Take it's earnings and use the $ to build up or buy a nice Road Runner or somesuch.
David

Thats funny, I doubt anyone would want to use this car these days...their all doing ricers...but if anyone noticed its the EXACT same body style that Clint Eastwood drove in the Dirty Harry Movies...The Enforcer for one I know for sure...and its ALMOST the same color too lol.

You talked about Clint Eastwood, It was said that he kept those old Mopars and used them as his daily driver cause he liked them so much. People used to see him toolin' around Carmel when he was the Mayor.

4 door

I could be mistaken (as I often am), but I seem to recall that Chrysler Corp originally designed those Satellites in 4 door form and THEN worked out the 2 door variant.
David

Honestly, here's my opinion. These cars are money pits, they are often impractical, and not very good for daily use. Despite all that, we all love them and wouldn't ditch them If we had a gun put to our heads.

That being said, the only logical solution would be this... Have a vehicle that suits your everyday needs. One that's reliable, safe for your children, and will get you from place to place with out problems.
On the other hand you're "fun" car should fit your desires. If you like 4 doors have a 4 door. If you like B-bodies work on a B-body.. whatever. But that second car should be one that you don't HAVE to depend on. Have it as a weekend driver, every other day driver, whatever you want. But don't let it turn into a hassle. Sitting on the side of the road when you're trying to get to work or worrying about your children's safety is not fun. That's what this hobby is all about right? having fun! Don't let the problems that come with it ruin other aspects of your life or your passion for the car.

Of course there's nothing wrong with having it as a daily driver. Lots of people can do that. Just make sure it doesn't effect your everyday needs negatively. That takes the fun out of it...

That looks just like my sisters first car . Wouldn't let me touch the thing . Afraid I'd put a four barrel on it , I guess . Drive it just as it is . Its not GREEN !!

Way way late but chiming in anyway- if you like the car and it suits your needs the way it is, drive it & enjoy it, then later on do whatever you want with it. 4 doors not "the" car to have (in some opinions) but unmolested/unbutchered survivors of any knid are rare and getting rarer. You could always source A/C from donor car--but like the saying goes "you can restore a car a thousand time but it's only original once".
Ultimately, the choice is yours- do with it what gives you the most enjoyment, abd trust me the kids will remember the good times cruisin' with Dad!

If it was mine, I would leave it like it is and enjoy it. There are fewer and fewer true "survivors" with all the documentation. If it was modified or not all original parts, then I would say do as you want......

RockAuto shows the heater core, or have you tried a local raidator shop (all a heater core is is a small radiator.) For the vinyl top, we used to set them out in the sun and rub them down with baby oil (just don't drown it or you'll have a mess)let it soak in and wipe it off. Worked good on T-top weatherstripping too.

don't clone any plymouth-drive it like the plymouth it is--enjoye it as see what happens

I would clone it into a "HUNTER" car from Fred Dryer's 80's cop TV show.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086734/
Nick name the car "BRASS CUPCAKE"
Why?
No repainting required.
Add dog dish hubcaps,a mag mount cherry light,old coffee cups and an empty box of donuts.
Oh..and never wash the car.....done.
Leave the driveline alone and drive the crap out of it.
I guarantee you cannot kill the leaning tower of power.

Besides there is a 67/68 Monaco/Polara out there looking for its wheel covers.

i0059921.jpg

I'm a little late weighing in on this, but I think you should just leave it alone and drive it as is. It's a cool car in its own right and doesn't need to be tarted-up. Black steelies and hubcaps look cool on ANY car and 4 door sedans pull it off better than most. If a cheap (or better, free) small block presents itself, grab it and build it as time and money allow. But I wouldn't be too concerned about building the living **** out of it, it's plenty cool as it sits. Maintinence items and wear parts (including upholstery) are likely to need attention, but thats expected.

Is that brown sedan above from Hunter? It looks exactly like my old 75 Coronet except the color...I love those cars.

this is easy...now LISSEN UP !!! 2 words...........no 3 words.....are you sitting down?....WAIT... 4 words

1. KEITH
2. BLACK
3.HEMI
4.SLEEPER

Four doors can be a lot of fun, cheap to buy and can be made into a real sleeper.

As time goes on you see a lot less of them, so it is good to have some people interested in them. I like all B body four doors, 75-78's look especially fine.

four doors more w*0re$$$$

Its an idea, but my oldest daughter is only 8 and the rest of my kids are 6, 2, and 8 months....so none of them or going to be driving anytime soon....

I am going to keep it the original color for now, but I am going to replace the vinyl top with a black one. Legendary Auto Interiors is only an hour from me, so I wont have to pay shipping on one. I will just drive up there in the car in spring.

The rims, I am going to either paint body color with the police hubcaps or paint gloss black with the police hubcaps. Interior I am going to keep black for now as well....

I still would like the poll to continue to help me decide what to do with it down the line....EVERYONE in my family, from my father, to my wife, to my sister-in-law etc wants me to paint it jet black.....but I think a car with a black paint job, black top, and black interior might be a little toooo black, not to mention HOT!! (Its AC delete)

I'd go with Black metallic, Black vinyl top and X9 Black UDF (upper door frame) and X9 performance hood stripe. And drive the wheels off it. Chrome wheels or Black steelies would be nice too.

My mom owned a car just like that. That's exactly the model and color that I learned to drive in, and got my first ticket in. What a blast from the past, seeing that photo in this Lazarus thread. :D

Auto Transport Service
Back