• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the average 'mileage' for a 4" cut off death wheel?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:08 PM
Reaction score
Cutting some sheet metal off of old roof from a 67 Coronet. All the under structure is gone....anyways, I'm getting between 25 and 30" with a Norton Gemini .035" reinforced wheel. Seems like that's not all that much.

That’s pretty bad. Harbor Freight has some pretty decent cutoff wheels.

I used to sell the MAC branded ones that would last hours.

That’s pretty bad. Harbor Freight has some pretty decent cutoff wheels.
Had a 6" wheel from there and used it to cut all around the edge of the top. Now I'm cutting out smaller pieces that I need.....

Ouch, $5 each but you have to buy 50. Got a welding supply shop nearby? Search: 11 results found for "cut off wheel"
About 4 miles away and through town. The other one that was south of me was also about 4 miles but hardly any traffic....and is probably why they closed. Lots of traffic at the intersection where they were close to now though. And sure don't need 50. Will just get a few from HF....and they are about 3 minutes away.

About 4 miles away and through town. The other one that was south of me was also about 4 miles but hardly any traffic....and is probably why they closed. Lots of traffic at the intersection where they were close to now though.
I see Lowes has Norton. They are a good abrasive brand.

Just wonder why the Nortons I have went so fast.....maybe Gemini is a cheap one from them?
I think Gemini is their imported line. Like 5.7 mentioned, try some Harbor Freight ones. I can't believe I'm saying this but some of their stuff isn't too bad. The quality has improved throughout the years.

We had pretty good luck with long life using Walter discs on the railroad.

I buy what I can find for what I’m willing to pay cause I go through them quickly due to to much pressure, binding and just abusing the crap out of them.

I got one of those, having only one eye, I consider it a necessity.

A rule of thumb is you lose the same amount of abrasive as material you remove. Of course the harder or softer the material is will have an effect.

depends on the manufacturer, but I find a 1/16 thick wheel goes much further than .045; the super thin wheels just seem to disintegrate

I use Norton wheels on my 18 Volt Makita....seem to last OK....depends on the material I'm cutting of course.

dewalt wheels are pretty tough...... tractor supply sells them; but the stores are so poorly managed by young retards, the little hook where they hang never gets refilled

you guys need to live a little

1697933901177.png

Auto Transport Service
Back