• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the average 'mileage' for a 4" cut off death wheel?

I've found if you force the cut the wheels die quickly, if you let the wheel spin full rpm's and eat at it's own speed they last much longer....

I like the 4". So I swap and save them about a little over half way down. Averaged out, that includes ones I step on, I would go through about one every three months. Blue Point seems to hold up. That's Snap on but I think I get'm in a bag of five. I have found Norton to be so-so. Diablo has also worked out -- Ok. No-name brands explode. Any brand can suddenly change their source. And that goes from ordered stock to materials used. Duration on good as well as bad ones gets impacted heavily by heat.

Safety - Take more risks? Then take more precautions!

Last edited:
For bodywork/metal stuff, I have stuck with 3M for about everything. The flap discs last 10x longer, the little sandpaper discs, "blitzer" discs, etc. The adhesive remover stuff is amazing for taking off vinyl top glue, that type of thing.
I have never used their angle grinder mountable cut off wheels. But I see they make one. I would not hesitate one second to try them. Here is some I found on Amazon, apparently they make a lot of options so you may need to find the correct diameter and arbor size:

Amazon product ASIN B078F5NY4W"%2Bmetal%2Bcut%2Boff%2Bwheel&qid=1697988582&sprefix=3m%2B4%2Bmetal%2Bcut%2Boff%2Bwhee%2Caps%2C197&sr=8-1&th=1

Looks like 2 bucks a pop if you buy the case, if this is the one you are after.

I think Gemini is their imported line. Like 5.7 mentioned, try some Harbor Freight ones. I can't believe I'm saying this but some of their stuff isn't too bad. The quality has improved throughout the years.
Actually, this package was unopened and the label says 'made in USA'. It probably came from an estate sale when I was working those. We did one north of Houston that belonged to a midget dirt racer and I tucked away quite a bit of stuff he had for myself before we opened the doors. He also had two cars....one that was apart and one that was complete. Got to be a small guy to fit one of those things! He was pretty little based on his shoe size of 7 1/2.
Please use a full face shield like this
I don't want anyone else hurt.
Uvex® Bionic® Face Shield S-20755 - Uline
I use a full face shield but not like that. Usually also wear a large pair of safety glasses under the FS too. I also try to keep my body parts out of the line of fire but realize that stuff can go in all kinds of direction.
depends on the manufacturer, but I find a 1/16 thick wheel goes much further than .045; the super thin wheels just seem to disintegrate
These wheels are .035 so maybe that's one of the reasons it worn down so fast. I'll look for the thicker ones when I burn the rest of these down.
you guys need to live a little

View attachment 1543950
I've actually cut aluminum using a skil saw with a carbide tipped saw blade. Need to use some oil on it too to help keep the aluminum from balling up in the blade.
I've found if you force the cut the wheels die quickly, if you let the wheel spin full rpm's and eat at it's own speed they last much longer....
Didn't seem to matter much with these.....got a couple of more inches though.

I've actually cut aluminum using a skil saw with a carbide tipped saw blade. Need to use some oil on it too to help keep the aluminum from balling up in the blade.

I've turned the blade around to cut the metal siding on the shop

I've seen that before but never did it. Have aluminum trim on the house but cheaped out and used vinyl siding and hate it now....but it's been on for over 30 years. Got to be careful with mowers and weed eaters around it. One of the selling points on that crap was it didn't dent when something hit it and it was cheaper by a lot....that's true but no one ever said anything about holes. We lived in a house in the 60's that had aluminum and yeah it had a few dents but no holes.

I used to install metal siding/roofing and these were awesome for ripping 40 foot long sheets. Would this be an option?

https://www.grainger.com/product/4L...Vh8_ICh18mQ39EAQYECABEgLFgvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

AB5D9A48-64CC-4BD0-8D09-C0ADE3198763.jpeg

Guess I wasn’t clear :lol: How would they do on a quarter panel or roof?

I have an air powered one from 40 years ago, the hose makes it difficult.......

when I worked at a conversion van shop, I used an electric set often. I was in charge of installing the bay windows and the roofs......those shears were great for all of that...... you had to power through the blobs of attaching foam (left over after removing the support beams)

For bodywork/metal stuff, I have stuck with 3M for about everything. The flap discs last 10x longer, the little sandpaper discs, "blitzer" discs, etc. The adhesive remover stuff is amazing for taking off vinyl top glue, that type of thing.
I have never used their angle grinder mountable cut off wheels. But I see they make one. I would not hesitate one second to try them. Here is some I found on Amazon, apparently they make a lot of options so you may need to find the correct diameter and arbor size:

Amazon product ASIN B078F5NY4W"%2Bmetal%2Bcut%2Boff%2Bwheel&qid=1697988582&sprefix=3m%2B4%2Bmetal%2Bcut%2Boff%2Bwhee%2Caps%2C197&sr=8-1&th=1

Looks like 2 bucks a pop if you buy the case, if this is the one you are after.
I have issues with Amazon!

Problem with 3M is they make mostly everything for mostly everything and many systemized products. So you can't always go just anywhere to get their stuff. Their science gets knocked off continuously. That means you can often find automotive refinishing supply & equipment shops that don't carry 3M because they carry similar products that are really "the same thing." They are not.

In all but a few cases, not even anywhere close. 3M makes very specific tools for very specific uses. It fans out like that for every industry they serve. For the best result, when shopping, utilize their information. They will provide you with quite a bit of it. Although the circumstances are similar for any reputable brand. Other companies do make suitable products. Also, I don't think it's an absolute must to have the best for everything. But at least when it has come to adhesives and abrasives, and the best I can do would be the best thing for me, I have gone with 3M. Was I right? Yeah, every time. I've found that substitutes have made for long days and long nights. So you may have to go to a better shop or get to a Grainger or an Applied. It costs more. Well now, does it really? I end up with extra stuff that goes bad. ...Worth it, it's worth it.

Last edited:
I got 5 packs of these at Tractor Supply a year ago, they were in the clearance section. Cut forever.

20231022_134317.jpg

I got 5 packs of these at Tractor Supply a year ago, they were in the clearance section. Cut forever.

View attachment 1544275
Lenox makes some good stuff. Not all of it, but some things they make are top shelf. I like their coated edge utility knife blades also. You CAN NOT get them to break, which means they are 10000% safer than any bulk purchase china crap. I have been carrying a folding jackknife style Lenox utility knife at work for 14 years now.

I have issues with Amazon!

Problem with 3M is they make mostly everything for mostly everything and many systemized products. So you can't always go just anywhere to get their stuff. They're science gets knocked off continuously. That means you can often find automotive refinishing supply & equipment shops that don't carry 3M because they carry similar products that are really "the same thing." They are not.

In all but a few cases, not even anywhere close. 3M makes very specific tools for very specific uses. It fans out like that for every industry they serve. For the best result, when shopping, utilize their information. They will provide you with quite a bit of it. Although the circumstances are similar for any reputable brand. Other companies do make suitable products. Also, I don't think it's an absolute must to have the best for everything. But at least when it's come to adhesives and abrasives, and the best I can do would be the best thing for me, I have gone with 3M. Was I right? Yeah, every time. I've found that substitutes have made for long days and long nights. So you may have to go to a better shop or get to a Grainger or an Applied. It costs more. Well now, does it really? I end up with extra stuff that goes bad. ...Worth it, it's worth it.
I don't buy the stuff from amazon either in general. But it is the easiest way to find an example usually when threads like this come up.

I don't buy the stuff from amazon either in general. But it is the easiest way to find an example usually when threads like this come up.
My issues with Amazon come from a long time back. I bought car books and such from them back when they only sold books. After they started selling more than just books (15 years after), I can't make a purchase without my password. I don't have it. I want a new account but there will be no new account without a new password. Ok, I'll just start from scratch, let's get started. No new password without the old password. I don't have it. Remember? "I'm sorry sir there is nothing we can do". Just imagine what this conversation was sounding like on a third call within about a year and a half time period over 3 hours into the (what was the last) call (including holds and escalations). "sorry" and "nothing we can do" went right on up their chain of command. If I absolutely cannot find something anywhere else, I pay my nephew to get it. But that is rare. Other vendors sell through Amazon also. I have no problems as long as I don't deal with them directly. I just get along fine without them, and I really do. It has been that way for about 29, well actually 25 years because everything started out well. if I live for another 25 years it will stay that way.

Just a little bit pissed.png

Last edited:
We used Lawson brand 3" and 4.5" cut off disc's, they sell a thin 1/16 " model that burns up pretty fast.
We liked the next step up they were at least 1/8" , held up fine.
We used to order them from Kent industries, but I'm sure they are available from other suppliers.
Distance, I could run down a qt panel section cut from door to tail lamp area with a 3" and have a little left.

Auto Transport Service
Back