• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

whats the best all around carb for a 440

63dodge440

Local time
4:53 PM
Reaction score
whats the best all around carb for a 440

Depends what your doing, for the street I like vacuum secondary carbs for their economy. Also have had good experience with the thermoquads.

For street or strip? Manual or auto tranny?
I like the Holley 3310 750cfm for street use but I'm a Holley kinda guy.

Depends alot on how much you plan to build the eng also. As for me I like Holley DP carbs. I use an 850 DP on the stroked 440 in my 63. Ron

Oh I love the DP's but have to have the right convertor and gears with an auto. Manual tranny its blow and go.

I'm having really good luck with my 750 Eddy AFB.

A lot of the depends on what your doing, what the engine spec's are. I did notice this is the "Racers Hangout", but, do you drive the car on the street at all. Give us some info on the cars engine and drivetrain set up. Stall, gears and engine stuff.

A lot of people double duty there cars. If such is the case, a vacuum secondary carb may be a good idea.

Carbs

I am Holley, Quickfuel, Proform, Promax, Barry Grant huy also, not a big Edelbrock carb fan at all, there are those that love them... The Quickfuel carb in the phots is a 680cfm you can get a 750cfm or larger also in the same style, I have a Remanufactured #1411 Edelbrock 750cfm 4bbl w/elctric choke I will sell you dirt cheap... See photos

Attachments

• Hollet Ultra DP 750cfm Black.jpg
    Hollet Ultra DP 750cfm Black.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,840
  • Holley Ultra DP 750cfm Blue.jpg
    Holley Ultra DP 750cfm Blue.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,868
  • Holley Ultra DP 750cfm Hard Core Gray.jpg
    Holley Ultra DP 750cfm Hard Core Gray.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,879
  • Holley Ultra DP 750cfm Red.jpg
    Holley Ultra DP 750cfm Red.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,933
  • Holley Quickfuel QFT 680cfm SS Vac.Sec..jpg
    Holley Quickfuel QFT 680cfm SS Vac.Sec..jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,972
  • Edelbrock Carter AVS #4429 2 idle circuit srews base plate under lead #1.jpg
    Edelbrock Carter AVS #4429 2 idle circuit srews base plate under lead #1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,832
  • Edelbrock Carb accel. pump adjustment #1.jpg
    Edelbrock Carb accel. pump adjustment #1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 2,732
  • Edelbrock AFB idle channel restrictor #1.jpg
    Edelbrock AFB idle channel restrictor #1.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,891
  • Edelbrock AFB Accelerator pump discharge nozzles #1.jpg
    Edelbrock AFB Accelerator pump discharge nozzles #1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,855
  • Edelbrock Carter Linkage Fast Idle #1.jpg
    Edelbrock Carter Linkage Fast Idle #1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 3,274
  • Edelbrock Performer 1411 #1.JPG
    Edelbrock Performer 1411 #1.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,824
  • Edelbrock Performer 1411 #2.JPG
    Edelbrock Performer 1411 #2.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,867
  • Edelbrock  Performer 1411 #3.JPG
    Edelbrock Performer 1411 #3.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,884
Like everyone else said..depends on your ultimate goal...personally I like the Competition series Thermoquad (if you can find one) & carter 725 cfm AVS--& 750 dominator was nice & also used the 1050 dominator (yes dual purpose car). Just a bit of tuning with the dominators & they can be as tame as a kitten for cruise & & roaor like a lion when ya put the hammer down... I'm sure other people here have run similar set ups- all depends on what ya have built under that carb basically...good luck in your choice just don't be hastey

The best way to limit a Mopar is instal a elderbrock carb.tape a quarter to it then through it in the dumpster the you would be out a quarter.

Last edited:
The best way to limit a Mopar is instal a elderbrock carb.tape a quarter to it then through it in the dumpster the you would be out a quarter.
where's the dumpster? i could use an extra 750 or maybe an 800 "elderbrock" and a few quarters,...lol.

Where's the dunce cap?:icon_jokercolor:
I like me a pair of elderbrocks:icon_mrgreen:

Attachments

• DSCN3159.jpg
    DSCN3159.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,014
  • NEW HEMI11.jpg
    NEW HEMI11.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 903
I like elderbrocks as I run two as well.
me

850 Demon. Good street manners.

Auto Transport Service
Back