• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the difference in these motors

Local time
5:20 PM
Reaction score
So I have a 1969 dodge charger trying to decide which motor to put in the BEAST. 383 HEMI or 440, I want something loud and nasty that I can go to the track and go out on a sunday drive with. Finding a 426 is dang near to expensive for me. So im trying to find out what is the difference in sound of a 383 vs 440 and performance. Any help would do thank you.

Can't say I have ever heard of a 383 Hemi....

So I have a 1969 dodge charger trying to decide which motor to put in the BEAST. 383 HEMI or 440, I want something loud and nasty that I can go to the track and go out on a sunday drive with. Finding a 426 is dang near to expensive for me. So im trying to find out what is the difference in sound of a 383 vs 440 and performance. Any help would do thank you.

You actually have an elusive 383 Hemi?

Can't say I have ever heard of a 383 Hemi....

Every onlooker at every car show's uncle had a car "just like yours" but with that exact engine.

I would go with the 383 Hemi, but it might be hard to find an intake for it! LOL

383 Hemi? It's amazing what a comma can do for a sentence.

THere was a 383 Hemi you know. Early Pro Stock mill.

383 block.jpg

383 block 2.jpeg

I remember, about 50 years ago, seeing stickers at Speed Shops, that you could put on your air cleaner, etc. that proclaimed "383 Hemi". Likely pumped out by the thousands by a company that didn't know it's a$$ from a hole in the ground. I think this gave rise to this mythical engine.
I missed the omission of the comma.

Last edited:
The sound comes from the cam selection and exhaust arrangement.
Either can be made to sound "nasty".
But the smaller displacement 383 will typically not respond as well to a high lift high duration camshaft.
Matching parts selection throughout the drivetrain is really the key to good performance (as well as driveability).

Just a little background that may help:

There were two different 383 engines available for the 1969 model year: 2-barrel and 4-barrel. The 2-barrel was rated at 290 hp. The four-barrel engine was rated at 330 hp and was identified on the air cleaner as "383 / FOUR BARREL". The 330-hp engine was unique to the Charger model in 1969. While this engine was available with an un-silenced air cleaner option, it differed internally from the 335-hp 383 "Magnum". Differences between the 330-hp 383 4-barrel and 335-hp 383 were mostly internal. Both versions used the Carter AVS carb and the larger exhaust manifolds from the 440 Magnum engines, but the Magnum had a windage tray in the oil pan, a different camshaft profile, and different valve springs. In 1969 the B-series engines were all painted Chrysler Engine Turquoise with the exception of the 4-barrel 383 four-speed and 440 Magnum engines which were painted Chrysler "High-Performance Orange". As usual, the 426 Hemi was painted "Street Hemi Orange". The 383 Magnum motor was used in Road Runners and Super Bees, but did not appear in a Charger body until 1971.

The 383 engine has a smaller bore than the 440 engine, which can lead to less power. Additionally, the 383 engine has a shorter stroke than the 440 engine, which means that it revs more quickly. This can be a good or a bad thing, depending on your driving style.

You can make either choice as "loud and nasty" as you want or should I say, afford.

I also remember, about 50 years ago, when RoadRunners and GTXs were new, the 383 in the RR sounded nastier than the 440 in the GTX. Both of these engines used the same camshaft. I think the larger displacement tends to "tame down" the cam.
The 383, with its shorter stroke than a 350 Chev, can really rev, with a little porting work on the heads (same 4.250" bore as a 426 Hemi). Of course, the longer stroke 440 has gobs of low-end torque, which is what you feel in a street car.

I don't know who's dumber, the OP for leaving out the "," or the guys reading his post and don't see the obvious !!!

Just a little background that may help:

There were two different 383 engines available for the 1969 model year: 2-barrel and 4-barrel. The 2-barrel was rated at 290 hp. The four-barrel engine was rated at 330 hp and was identified on the air cleaner as "383 / FOUR BARREL". The 330-hp engine was unique to the Charger model in 1969. While this engine was available with an un-silenced air cleaner option, it differed internally from the 335-hp 383 "Magnum". Differences between the 330-hp 383 4-barrel and 335-hp 383 were mostly internal. Both versions used the Carter AVS carb and the larger exhaust manifolds from the 440 Magnum engines, but the Magnum had a windage tray in the oil pan, a different camshaft profile, and different valve springs. In 1969 the B-series engines were all painted Chrysler Engine Turquoise with the exception of the 4-barrel 383 four-speed and 440 Magnum engines which were painted Chrysler "High-Performance Orange". As usual, the 426 Hemi was painted "Street Hemi Orange". The 383 Magnum motor was used in Road Runners and Super Bees, but did not appear in a Charger body until 1971.

The 383 engine has a smaller bore than the 440 engine, which can lead to less power. Additionally, the 383 engine has a shorter stroke than the 440 engine, which means that it revs more quickly. This can be a good or a bad thing, depending on your driving style.

You can make either choice as "loud and nasty" as you want or should I say, afford.
330 horsepower 383 was turquoise and used a tamer camshaft than the 335 horse engine in 1969. It had no windage tray and sported a 600 cfm. Holley. This tamer 4-barrel engine was used in Chargers, Coronets, and Belvederes. However, it was also used in RoadRunners and SuperBees factory equipped with A/C.
The 335 horsepower 383 was standard in the 1969 RR and SB and was painted orange. These engines had a more aggressive camshaft that was also used in the HP 440. They used a 625 cfm Carter AVS, and had the windage tray. Dodge and Plymouth advertising made a big deal of these "special" 383's using the same high performance heads as the 440. The truth is, these "906" heads were used on all big blocks across the board, from the RR 383 to the 440 in your uncle's Imperial.
In 1969, I bought a new 383, automatic SuperBee. It had the 335 horse orange motor with the Carter AVS. An acquaintance of mine bought a 1969 Coronet 500, with the turquoise 330 horse 383, equipped with a Holley. Following the hype put out by the performance gurus that the Holley was the best carb of all time, I felt gypped that I "only" got a Carter on my car.

Let's not get too out of hand here. The guy obviously forgot a comma.

it works in reverse too, so be careful with that comma.......boss to female employee:

I have to lay you or Jack off

I have to lay you, or Jack off

Easy decision. 440. Unless you already have a good running 383. More torque and it's gonna cost the same if you decide to rebuild or add upgrades.

Here's a video comparison. I love the sound of the 383 but it could just be the way the camera was setup or maybe even different exhaust.

it works in reverse too, so be careful with that comma.......boss to female employee:

I have to lay you or Jack off

I have to lay you, or Jack off
:rofl: :rofl:

Auto Transport Service
Back