• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the difference in these motors

OP could opt for a modern hemi, unless he is hell bent on old school

The sound comes from the cam selection and exhaust arrangement.
Either can be made to sound "nasty".
But the smaller displacement 383 will typically not respond as well to a high lift high duration camshaft.
Matching parts selection throughout the drivetrain is really the key to good performance (as well as driveability).
Thabk you that's information is probably what I needed

Easy decision. 440. Unless you already have a good running 383. More torque and it's gonna cost the same if you decide to rebuild or add upgrades.

Here's a video comparison. I love the sound of the 383 but it could just be the way the camera was setup or maybe even different exhaust.

Both of these motors sound the same in the video.

So I have a 1969 dodge charger trying to decide which motor to put in the BEAST. 383 HEMI or 440, I want something loud and nasty that I can go to the track and go out on a sunday drive with. Finding a 426 is dang near to expensive for me. So im trying to find out what is the difference in sound of a 383 vs 440 and performance. Any help would do thank you.
Sound is the worst reason ever to choose an engine...and those 5 mpg top fuel wannabe engines soon become unbearable beasts to drive.

You have been warned...!!!!

330 horsepower 383 was turquoise and used a tamer camshaft than the 335 horse engine in 1969. It had no windage tray and sported a 600 cfm. Holley. This tamer 4-barrel engine was used in Chargers, Coronets, and Belvederes. However, it was also used in RoadRunners and SuperBees factory equipped with A/C.
The 335 horsepower 383 was standard in the 1969 RR and SB and was painted orange. These engines had a more aggressive camshaft that was also used in the HP 440. They used a 625 cfm Carter AVS, and had the windage tray. Dodge and Plymouth advertising made a big deal of these "special" 383's using the same high performance heads as the 440. The truth is, these "906" heads were used on all big blocks across the board, from the RR 383 to the 440 in your uncle's Imperial.
In 1969, I bought a new 383, automatic SuperBee. It had the 335 horse orange motor with the Carter AVS. An acquaintance of mine bought a 1969 Coronet 500, with the turquoise 330 horse 383, equipped with a Holley. Following the hype put out by the performance gurus that the Holley was the best carb of all time, I felt gypped that I "only" got a Carter on my car.
Do you remember if there was much of a performance difference between your SuperBee and the Coronet?

Do you remember if there was much of a performance difference between your SuperBee and the Coronet?

Actually, quite a difference. My car came with factory 3.91 gears; his with 3.23's, so not a fair comparison.

What do you currently have for an engine? Do you have something that runs? Are you starting from scratch? My car originally had a 383. But I didn’t have a running engine so I had a 440 as well. I opted to build the 440 as building a 383 or 440 costs the same. Why do people build stroker engines? For more displacement and power. For instance A 440 vs 383. Same compression, same cam. Same heads, same series intake, same exhaust… can you guess which one makes more power?
I’m not bashing a 383 I absolutely love them. But that longer 440 stroke makes more torque. More torque at rpm = more HP.
Now here’s a thought…. Start with a 400. If you can afford a stroker kit go to 500 cause it fits nice without having to modify a bunch of stuff. Otherwise pistons to get to 10 or 10.5 to 1. Brodix raised port cylinder heads, roller cam and tada… a big block that breaths awesome and headers fit the same as a rb block but you have a b block.
I have a 400 I want to build like that and eventually put in my charger. Then I can say it’s a 383 with heads no one will be the wiser other then if someone reads this thread.
Just another thought for you… if you want a nasty sounding engine… good compression and a reasonable cam.. shorter lobe separation tends to be choppier sounding and a longer duration cam also helps that factor for the lumpity lump idle. But too big a cam may have poor street manners. Also take into account of if you have power vacuum brakes. Some cams have poor idle vacuum and then the stop pedal sucks when slow engine speed.

My personal opinion is that the 440 is the way to go. Hemi's are very expensive to build,and a 383 costs the same money to build as a 440,without the low end torque and extra cubic inches. The 440 is the best bang for the bucks! There is always the low deck 400 based stroker engine if the funds are available,and low deck appearance is necessary.

My personal opinion is that the 440 is the way to go. Hemi's are very expensive to build,and a 383 costs the same money to build as a 440,without the low end torque and extra cubic inches. The 440 is the best bang for the bucks! There is always the low deck 400 based stroker engine if the funds are available,and low deck appearance is necessary.
I agree with the 440 application. Why go with the smaller cubic inches that basically weighs the same as it's big brother?

Auto Transport Service
Back