• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the difference in these motors

If money is no object (and it sounds like it might not be if a 426 Hemi is in the running), you might consider the 451/470 stroker on the 400 block.

Lots of little advantages over the 383 and 440 that add up.

Last edited:
So I have a 1969 dodge charger trying to decide which motor to put in the BEAST. 383 HEMI or 440, I want something loud and nasty that I can go to the track and go out on a sunday drive with. Finding a 426 is dang near to expensive for me. So im trying to find out what is the difference in sound of a 383 vs 440 and performance. Any help would do thank you.
The sound will be dependent on the cam, and the pipes under the car. You can make a V6(at idle) sound like a growling beast with the right pipes. Sounds like trash at WOT, but you get the idea.

Performance? Performance for any V8 is directly proportional to your wallet, and just as importantly what you can tolerate on your "Sunday drive". In general, you will need to pick which is more important, the track or the drive. I am 100% a drive guy, so to me a 383 or 440 is fine, so long as it is tuned to be responsive as all get out(not too big a cam or carb) can do amazing tire destroying burn outs at whim and won't break something every other tank of gas.
Truth is, anything you would find pleasing to just drive around is going to be hooked to a transmission that makes it launch slower. You can throw money at an OD unit to gear it better to help. Once you want it to RIP on the track, leaving a stop light on a leisurely drive becomes something else.
I would pick a side and build for it. A comfortable, easy to drive super dependable ride is going to get beat at the track, so long as you don't need to come in first place you can have it both ways then. Otherwise there is no magic bullet.

The sound will be dependent on the cam, and the pipes under the car. You can make a V6(at idle) sound like a growling beast with the right pipes. Sounds like trash at WOT, but you get the idea.

Performance? Performance for any V8 is directly proportional to your wallet, and just as importantly what you can tolerate on your "Sunday drive". In general, you will need to pick which is more important, the track or the drive. I am 100% a drive guy, so to me a 383 or 440 is fine, so long as it is tuned to be responsive as all get out(not too big a cam or carb) can do amazing tire destroying burn outs at whim and won't break something every other tank of gas.
Truth is, anything you would find pleasing to just drive around is going to be hooked to a transmission that makes it launch slower. You can throw money at an OD unit to gear it better to help. Once you want it to RIP on the track, leaving a stop light on a leisurely drive becomes something else.
I would pick a side and build for it. A comfortable, easy to drive super dependable ride is going to get beat at the track, so long as you don't need to come in first place you can have it both ways then. Otherwise there is no magic bullet.
I have seen many a nice street car reduced to an undriveable mess because the owner got bitten by the racing bug. In their quest for lower E.T.'s, and higher trap speeds, the owners often compromise the cars' good manners until they become a purpose built race car.

Headers, throaty mufflers, and cutouts in between and you can have nasty sound on demand for all 3

When I was a kid, the newspaper want ads, (for sale ads) would have all kinds of clapped out road runners and chargers for sale. You remember, flat black, jacked up with cal custom shackles, L60 15 Mickey Thompsons, and the ad would read...
383hemming, Daytona posi, fast.. $500

Those were the days

When I was a kid, the newspaper want ads, (for sale ads) would have all kinds of clapped out road runners and chargers for sale. You remember, flat black, jacked up with cal custom shackles, L60 15 Mickey Thompsons, and the ad would read...

Those were the days
Who me?

20200823_112606.jpg

20200823_112549.jpg

Those were the days
The days where people were idiots.
Hemming?
Posi ??

Everyone who isn't a diehard Mopar guy,calls a suregrip a posi.

Last edited:
Use what you have but if you have to find a big block you might as well look for the 440

No one that built a 440 engine and put it in their car ever said I wish I had of built a 383 instead

Auto Transport Service
Back