• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the Dumbest Thing You’ve Done to Your B Body?

I had a pretty nice 71 Road Runner in 1981 & I tore off the perfectly good black vinyl top that was on it. The metal under the vinyl roof was in mint shape too!

Got married. Aside from the occasional fire up to move it, it sat the entire time I was married (10 yrs). Now that I'm divorced, it may be too far gone to save, not just in overall condition, but the ability to get parts for it.......:(

SOLD IT !!! 70 charger 500 383 4spd top banana yellow

put a full driver side used quarter on my GTX in 1988, including the gutter; you know, because I wanted it to look original :jackoff:.....I did a real nice job too, considering I was a youngster........ but I had no idea about the numbers on the trunk lip......it still bugs me :mad:

One "dumbest" thing I've never done to one....is LS swap one. :moparsmiley:

Not checking the gear lube in 1988. Going about 100 the rear end locked up, broke the rear ujoint, ruined the driveshaft, knocked off the header mufflers, oil cooler lines, and the transmission exploded. When it happened I was with my Dad as my brother passed us. There was a Smoke stream the size of the car 1/2 mile long with parts flying everywhere. Entertaining to watch...much harder to fix. :rolleyes:

I did 3 pretty dumb things,
First in 1984, less than a year into owning the car, took the 6319 Thermoguard off, sold it for 5 bucks, and put a Holley 600 on it, that was a pile of junk, always flooded out when the floats would stick.

Second, in 1989, traded my 73 340 callout hood to a guy with a 74 hood no callouts, it was better than mine, but no wiper squirters after. The good is later on down the road when i went hunting for a correct hood i found one and sold the 74 hood for what i paid to get a correct 73 hood.

Third, lost the metal splash guards that attach to the back mounting points of the k-frame, that was sometime in the late 80's. Still looking for a set!

Shes all pretty now and back to nearly 100% original!
20211022_184418.jpg

I have REALLY dumb and embarrassing moments at the drag strip? Including. I just got my car ready on a hot July day. And got up just in time to make qualifying run. The car stalled. And before I could get started the track offical opened my door and saw I was driving in cut off shorts. Needless to say? I didn't make my attempt. Damn he was mad at me. Calling me by first name. "I KNOW YOU KNOW BETTER!" Had to turn around and limp my dumbass back to my pits.

I have done some stupid things to other cars and trucks but not much to my Chargers.
I did have an embarrassing visit to the drag strip once.
I thought I had it all planned out just right.
I put in new plugs and bought some high octane gas and drove to the strip. The wife was with me so I drove easy all the way there.
I'm not much of a racer but I was told that a 13 second pass required a helmet, so I borrowed one for the day. Previously, my reringed 440 went 14.01 at 101 mph. This engine was a 440 based 493 and made much more power so I had hopes for a high 12 second pass.
I drove up and did a short burnout, then left the line with a decent reaction time. As I hit full throttle, the engine started cutting out and misfiring. My ET was a disappointing 14.8 or something. I went to the pits to get a look. Everything seemed fine. In neutral, it revved fine.
Back up to the line, same thing again. I had to walk it out of the hole to keep from blowing the tires off so I eased into the pedal like usual.
Just like before, at WOT it sputtered again. I was so pissed, I didn't even bother to get my time slip.
Back at home, I found the problems....
First off, the spark plug gaps were all at .045. This isn't usually a problem but it isn't optimal for the Mopar Performance electronic ignition.
Secondly, the distributor air gap had slipped from .008 to .020. This bullshit problem happened several times to me. The car will run fine with the wider air gap until you floor it, then it misfires badly.
I regapped the plugs and distributor and went out for a drive. It hauled *** like it should.
I have not been on a drag strip since. I considered making a few passes before I converted to the 5 speed but I didn't get to.

As a teenager in the 60s, I wired a choke pull cable up to my 64 Sport Fury AFB’s accelerator lever to use as a poor man’s cruise control. I don’t even remember how I did it so the throttle pedal would still function - some sort of oblong loop in the wire or something. Worked reasonably well on the flat highways and interstates of KS. But common sense or lack of operational features kicked in after a few weeks and I decided it was not a good idea.

I also abused the poor old Sport Fury with an orange differential (and maybe gas tank?), an experiment with straight pipes, a set of worn out 7” slicks, and probably a few other things that have been permanently wiped from my memory by the trauma to the old boy.

So if anyone out there has restored an old black on black, 383 4bbl, auto 64 Sport Fury and uncovered remnants of orange paint underneath, now you know the origins.

In 1976 I sold a kinda rare 71 gtx
V code 4spd track pack, console delete , bucket seat car.
34k on the clock ,clean and fast.
:screwy::wtf:

Auto Transport Service
Back