• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the latest on the Victor mw head combos out there?

I d have to see those time slips. At that weight, small cam, 511??????. Pretty lofty goal. I know a few that dynoed close to 900 that run not much quicker. It would take close to 775hp uncorrected to get there. Probably looking at 825 off the dyno minimum.
Doug
I thought the same, but I have been told this by several people that raced with the guy. Car has been a track champion for many years. I was told duration in the 220's. Crazy, I know.

3,500 pound RR
Stock type 6 pak hood
511 tall deck, filled block
727....footbrake
Dana...4.30 iirc
Split leaf and caltrac
Rancho 9 way
Under .620 solid roller
Bracket duration
1.5 rocker
Under 13:1 compression
110 fuel
STD port Super Victor intake
1050 Dominator, non HP body
9" convertor
Swinging Milidon
2" to 2-1/8" TTI
12" collector extension
32* or 33* timing
6al

273CFDBF-BDF0-4642-A2CD-5E1D5A390791.png

I d have to see those time slips. At that weight, small cam, 511??????. Pretty lofty goal. I know a few that dynoed close to 900 that run not much quicker. It would take close to 775hp uncorrected to get there. Probably looking at 825 off the dyno minimum.
Doug
Yes. 3500 lb car around 700 hp crank 650 on the ground. 4.56 gear. Heads will support those numbers.

I have a 511 11:1 using the victors cnc'd by Hughes at 330cc and flow [email protected],.700 and a SFT cam 270/276@50 using 1.6/1.5 rocker combo giving me .644/.615 lift on a 110 lobe sep.
I use the Indy 400-3 and a 1100 Dominator by Thumper carbs.
This is in an a body 3380# race weight. 8" 5100 vert by Ultimate with a 727rmvb. A dana with 4.10 gears and 28" M/T ET R radials.
Water pump and fan is belts driven. Best time with electric fans was 10.40@130 and with flex fan 10.66@127. Does this sound reasonable for this street combo? Seens slow to me as my pump gas 408 was faster.
couple other things, headers are 2" Maddogs and I use Caltracs with monos.
Best 60 was 1.45. Best path to 10 o's or aleast low 10's?
just my 2 cents .
You need about 2-3 mph , that is extra HP needed .
Your 130 should give you a lot better ET . BUT ET is chassis , so i would be looking at confirming your chassis is up to scratch . My standard CNC port stealths 11:1 505ci , 272/272 sft cam @ 3690 went 10.50 with a 4150 type carb . With TF 270 heads went 10.25 @ 129.65 . Foot braking .Had my own prepped 1050 by this stage
New World block same cam etc @ 90 lbs heavier has gone [email protected] leaving @ 4200 on the brake , goes 1.42 - 1.44
The 5100 stall vert is ok , I ran a 9" 5000 now 8"6000
oh yeah I have the Mopar 5 blade clutch fan and am running full exhaust to diff , 4.1 gears and 30"radials

Tex

I'd buy this combo can go 9.7 with .620 lift, if the heads are very good. But in very good air and my bet is it weighs way less than 3500 on a real scale. Lets face it. You need an easy 800 dynoed hp at 3500lbs to go this quick. This engine combo doesn't appear to be anywhere near that. Doing it with 220 duration, no way? Heck a Mopar purple shaft .484 hydraulic has over 220 duration. I race with plenty of 62-67 B Body cars that run between 9.0 and 12.0. The engine combos and weights are well known. Most in the 500" range run 9.90-10.40. Obliviously NHRA Super Stockers go quicker with less cubic inch. But the cost of doing so and knowledge required to make it happen is not in everybody's reach. I just talked with a friend running a very quick F/SA with a 383. The heads were nearly $9K. Cars that go quick have the correct selection of good parts. There are no shortcuts. If it were cheap and easy anyone could do it. My 2 cents
Doug[/QUOTE]

just my 2 cents .
You need about 2-3 mph , that is extra HP needed .
Your 130 should give you a lot better ET . BUT ET is chassis , so i would be looking at confirming your chassis is up to scratch . My standard CNC port stealths 11:1 505ci , 272/272 sft cam @ 3690 went 10.50 with a 4150 type carb . With TF 270 heads went 10.25 @ 129.65 . Foot braking .Had my own prepped 1050 by this stage
New World block same cam etc @ 90 lbs heavier has gone [email protected] leaving @ 4200 on the brake , goes 1.42 - 1.44
The 5100 stall vert is ok , I ran a 9" 5000 now 8"6000
oh yeah I have the Mopar 5 blade clutch fan and am running full exhaust to diff , 4.1 gears and 30"radials

Tex
So I'm not doing to bad then. I still think the vert is too tight. Gonna get it reset. Down the road I may even try a different cam and a trick flow intake.

I'd buy this combo can go 9.7 with .620 lift, if the heads are very good. But in very good air and my bet is it weighs way less than 3500 on a real scale. Lets face it. You need an easy 800 dynoed hp at 3500lbs to go this quick. This engine combo doesn't appear to be anywhere near that. Doing it with 220 duration, no way? Heck a Mopar purple shaft .484 hydraulic has over 220 duration. I race with plenty of 62-67 B Body cars that run between 9.0 and 12.0. The engine combos and weights are well known. Most in the 500" range run 9.90-10.40. Obliviously NHRA Super Stockers go quicker with less cubic inch. But the cost of doing so and knowledge required to make it happen is not in everybody's reach. I just talked with a friend running a very quick F/SA with a 383. The heads were nearly $9K. Cars that go quick have the correct selection of good parts. There are no shortcuts. If it were cheap and easy anyone could do it. My 2 cents
Doug
[/QUOTE]
Yep and my point is my heads came off that engine, so to me they are capable of better that 10.40@130 in my combo. I need to look at other areas for sure.

Doug
[/QUOTE]
Dick Landy and Grumpy Jenkins ran 10s 50 years ago with iron heads and around 540 HP with a 4 speed! How far have we come? What's up with it? 800+ hp to run low 10s or high 9s. Come on. 50 years later it takes another 250 HP to pull similar et? What has changed?

So I'm not doing to bad then. I still think the vert is too tight. Gonna get it reset. Down the road I may even try a different cam and a trick flow intake.
a 9"will rarely stall much higher than 5000ish . You will need to go 8"to get a lot more .
you have HP , but you are missing something else . Can you post a timeslip ? I would like to see the splits

Tex

Dick Landy and Grumpy Jenkins ran 10s 50 years ago with iron heads and around 540 HP with a 4 speed! How far have we come? What's up with it? 800+ hp to run low 10s or high 9s. Come on. 50 years later it takes another 250 HP to pull similar et? What has changed?[/QUOTE]
Do you think those car weighed 3500lbs with a 220 at .050" cam? Those here that actually race know what it takes to run a number. I stand by every statement I've made here. Malex's car is a good running car running these heads. He's worked long and hard to get it into the 9's. Tex car as well. These are both great examples in the real world. Jeff Freese has the quickest Victor headed car I know of. 68 N/SS Cuda. Engine built by Todd Goodwin. 9.00@3350#. So no, 650hp at 3500 will not go 9.70. Not uncommon to run 7-10% correction factor (or worse). Simply stated you are down 7-10hp/100hp from dyno numbers (if the dyno was even accurate). At 800hp that's 56-80hp less at the track. Do you run a 9 second (or better) car?
Doug

a 9"will rarely stall much higher than 5000ish . You will need to go 8"to get a lot more .
you have HP , but you are missing something else . Can you post a timeslip ? I would like to see the splits

Tex
I'll see if I can post that.

Tex
Here ya go.

IMG_0607.JPG

Dick Landy and Grumpy Jenkins ran 10s 50 years ago with iron heads and around 540 HP with a 4 speed! How far have we come? What's up with it? 800+ hp to run low 10s or high 9s. Come on. 50 years later it takes another 250 HP to pull similar et? What has changed?
Do you think those car weighed 3500lbs with a 220 at .050" cam? Those here that actually race know what it takes to run a number. I stand by every statement I've made here. Malex's car is a good running car running these heads. He's worked long and hard to get it into the 9's. Tex car as well. These are both great examples in the real world. Jeff Freese has the quickest Victor headed car I know of. 68 N/SS Cuda. Engine built by Todd Goodwin. 9.00@3350#. So no, 650hp at 3500 will not go 9.70. Not uncommon to run 7-10% correction factor (or worse). Simply stated you are down 7-10hp/100hp from dyno numbers (if the dyno was even accurate). At 800hp that's 56-80hp less at the track. Do you run a 9 second (or better) car?
Doug[/QUOTE]
I would think it would go in the 9's, Doesn't spin a tire, always hooks. Lenny and ATI suggested the 8" vert. Lenny doesn't want to loosen because I drive on the street. What would happen if I had a 8" vert that would flash to 5500, 60 like a bitch at 1.35 and drive it on the street? I need to leave the street talk right out of the conversation with these convertor shops.

I've run a 5600 on the street. Drive it 2 hrs on the highway or more no issue. As for
1.35 60ft, that's a lot tougher than you think. I know ent of 9.50-9.75 cars that barely touch 1.35.
Doug

Without looking too hard at other people’s combos.......
Dave’s 511 certainly looks to me like it “should” be capable of 675-700 std corrected crank hp.
If you take 10% off the low end of that you’re at 607hp.
The moroso PSC shows [email protected] for 607hp at 3380lbs.

129mph@3380lbs shows 558hp.
So, either the motor isn’t making what it “should”, or it’s being wasted in the car....... or a bit of both.

A motor I built and dynoed at 650hp went 10.04@131 in a 3470lb B body at Norwalk.
I think that can be used as an example of how the dyno numbers and in the car performance can be compared to each other...... if the dyno numbers are legit.
(Shows about 605hp in car, so a 7% loss)

The other side of the coin is, my friends NHRA Stocker goes way quicker than the Moroso PSC predicts for the dyno HP vs the car weight.
(Shows 6% higher hp than what the motor actually made on the dyno)

I wasn’t directly involved with the car that Dave’s heads were run in previously, but I’m familiar with it and I’m pretty confident in saying the cam was nowhere near [email protected]......... so you can put that rumor to rest.

Last edited:
Dave’s 511 certainly looks to me like it “should” be capable of 675-700 std corrected crank hp.
The moroso PSC shows [email protected] for 607hp at 3380lb
So, either the motor isn’t making what it “should”, or it’s being wasted in the car....... or a bit of both.

A motor I built and dynoed at 650hp went 10.04@131 in a 3470lb B body at Norwalk.
I think that can be used as an example of how the dyno numbers and in the car performance can be compared to each other...... if the dyno numbers are legit.

The other side of the coin is, my friends NHRA Stocker goes way quicker than the Moroso PSC predicts for the dyno HP vs the car weight.

I wasn’t directly involved with the car that Dave’s heads were run in previously, but I’m familiar with it and I’m pretty confident in saying the cam was nowhere near [email protected]......... so you can put that rumor to rest.
Doug[/QUOTE]
I don't think any race car runs with a 220
Doug[/QUOTE]
I don't think any high performance engine runs a 220 @ 50 cam. I don't have the money for a 9 second setup, but have friends that do. Been around it for over 20 years man. The best I have run is 11.89 with an a833 4 speed snubber and Mickey Thompson street tires. I'm happy with it for now anyway lol. 9.70s is outta my league. My good friend has run 9.90s with around 700 hp. His car just flat works. Chassis is dialed. Runs an 8 inch converter. Dedicated race car unlike mine. Not here to offend just contribute from my experience.

Agree.

Agree.

A lot of good information here guys. thanks. Since it looks like i'm losing more on the big end of the track, maybe it just needs more cam with a looser convertor flashing to 5500? I believe there is more than one thing that needs attention here.

A lot of good information here guys. thanks. Since it looks like i'm losing more on the big end of the track, maybe it just needs more cam with a looser convertor flashing to 5500? I believe there is more than one thing that needs attention here.
Appreciate your appreciation . You'll get there. 8 inch converter. And consider a two step with a brake if its in your budget. There is more speed there for you find. Good luck.

Appreciate your appreciation . You'll get there. 8 inch converter. And consider a two step with a brake if its in your budget. There is more speed there for you find. Good luck.
I do have a 2 step with a micro switch mounted on my brake pedal, but it doesn't work right. So I don't use it. Something wrong in the electronics on the box. I may try the trick flow intake with a 950 carb.

Update on this post. I shaved the Victor MW heads to get 12.5:1 compression, hand ported the Indy intake plenum and added an electric water pump. Ran a best of [email protected]. It now has an Indy tunnel ram with twin Thumper carbs waiting to hit the track. Its going in the 9's this time.

IMG_0943.JPG IMG_0959.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back