• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the recommendation for the BEST valve cover gaskets?

4404ME

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:20 PM
Reaction score
I would like recommendations on the BEST valve cover gaskets, when using Edelbrock Aluminum Valve Covers for a 1972 440 RB. There are many options, but I would like feedback on those that are considered the highest quality, best sealing, etc. Once Again, Thanks!

You will get many products some like cork some like the cardboard kind. I personally like the Moroso Permalign valve cover gaskets.

.The cheap corks or steel core rubber are fine.
I now believe any will do the job after chasing a leak only to find it was my valve covers.. If you ate installing it once the corks work fine, if you are going to be removing the vc's regularly get the rubber.

.The cheap corks or steel core rubber are fine.
I now believe any will do the job after chasing a leak only to find it was my valve covers...
I totally agree. If you are using stock style valve covers make sure to get the bolt holes flattened out and not all crushed in. Helps make a better seal.

Thanks Everyone! I've looked at all of the above. I'll probably go with Moroso, but I appreciate the feedback!

Are they stamped or cast? The sealing surface on the heads is usually crappy, and it will be hard to get a good seal with cast covers. I've heard that 452s are the worst, although I have a leaky set of MP cast covers on a pair of 915s at the moment. Going back to stock.

I wonder if anyone ever mills the valve cover side of the heads to fix the issues. I had some 452's that in one spot the valve cover ridge was almost a knifes edge while the rest was flat. I guess its all about QC back then.

Superformance gaskets.
Many times reusable. Best ones I've ever had.

Screenshot_20210529-094502_Gallery.jpg

I don’t think anyone at the foundry was worried about us having leaky cast aluminum valve covers 50-60 years later.

It’s only an issue for a shrinking number of people. If you are shooting for OE correct then you’ll be running the stock stamped covers, which always seal fine so long as you don’t distort the flange. If you don’t care about originality as much there are plenty of either used heads to pick from, or even better, new aluminum copies.

Thank You! How/where did you order these? Are they part # 3184? Thanks Again!

I dunno.
I mean, in many instances we're dealing with 50+ year old stamped steel here...
couple that with the "Swiss Alps" looking lip on equally old head castings and it sometimes
ain't that easy anymore, no matter what measures are taken to insure flatness of components.
I for one am willing to pay up for some of the more fancy gaskets just to avoid the hassle anymore.

My experience with Moroso and similar silicone gaskets is they do well with around 3 ft lbs. Much more than that and they will squish and leak.

I used to use the Moroso's but they always ended up splitting. no matter how easy I went on the bolts. They just don't seem to last with heads that have a narrow sealing rail. They also don't work well with valve covers that have a lip like the factory stamped-style ones.
I switched to the pink "Superformance" gaskets and have been drip-free ever since, and they're re-usable. I have aluminum heads and covers with a flat rail.

HOWEVER.....there seems to be an issue with inventory lately. I ordered a set in early April through Hughes, waited and waited, and in mid-May they finally refunded my money because they couldn't get them. They still show out-of-stock there and at Mancini's and unfortunately there aren't many dealers for them.
Hopefully he gets back on track soon..

I wonder if anyone ever mills the valve cover side of the heads to fix the issues. I had some 452's that in one spot the valve cover ridge was almost a knifes edge while the rest was flat. I guess its all about QC back then.
Yep flatness is key....folded up tin foil would probably work as well as some of the gaskets on the market as long as the surfaces were good n' flat!

Thanks to Everyone who took the time to answer my inquiry. I appreciate it!

Auto Transport Service
Back