• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the torque on a right angle oil filter adaptor bolt?

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
10:32 AM
Reaction score
On a 340 with the right angle oil filter adaptor there's a bolt that goes through the adaptor and has a seal on each end; one where the bolt head meets the adaptor and the other on the engine side, and there's a larger ring seal that also goes on the engine side. I bought the seal kit from DMT and tightened the adaptor bolt snug plus about 1/4 turn. It leaked fron the head of the bolt a small 4" puddle while the engine was running until operating temp then I shut it off. After I let the engine cool down the next day I turned the bolt another 1/4 turn. This time it still leaked but just a drop or two.

Anybody know what the torques spec is on this bolt? I don't want to crack the adaptor as it's pot metal or aluminum.

Looks like this:

1666220127038.png

Thanks, FBBO.

Can't say for sure, but the washers would appear to be similar to oil pan drain or banjo bolt. I'd use a torque similar to an oil pan drain plug torque.

Last edited:
I used the DMT gaskets.

1666283006648.png

DMT Mopar small block right angle oil filter adapter gasket package for 318, 340 and 360 engines.

Mopar partr# P5249320 For oil filter adapter P5249624AB

Material(s)
.062" Interface gray gasket material.
.062" Copper gasket - between bolt head and adapter
.080" Nylon gasket - between adapter and block

Auto Transport Service
Back