• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel studs for rear axle

I did measure originally but the splines were so smashed down I don't think it was very accurate. I tried a slightly bigger knurl than what I measured and it just spun. I don't have the measurement in front of me but this .673 is quite a bit bigger, so maybe it is too big. I'll try a bit of grease too and if I still fail I'll take Mike's advice and pull the axle

For anyone having trouble with this in the future, as a last ditch try I tried using a stud installer tool (this one) and it worked perfectly, I didn't think it be any different than the washers trick but it did.

Hey all,

Not long ago i ordered some new wheel studs to use on the rear axle and get rid of the L/H ones.
Now received and looking at them they are different then what came out, i am assuming these new ones can only be used on the front (with disc brakes) of my car.
See the picture, can i use these instead on my 8-3/4" rear axle?
I am quite sure they never will fully engage against the drive shaft flange as the knurl does not run until the end.

View attachment 595699
Found this problem solved for Lugs.
Screenshot_20221107-104910.png

Screenshot_20221107-104910.png

Replaced the left-handed rears with this part number from NAPA yesterday: NOE 641-1610. Put never-seize on the threads while tightening a 1/2"/20 nut to pull them in. No problem.

Replaced the left-handed rears with this part number from NAPA yesterday: NOE 641-1610. Put never-seize on the threads while tightening a 1/2"/20 nut to pull them in. No problem.
Good deal!

Auto Transport Service
Back